Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 4

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

Print Thread
3 out of 3 ain't bad in the family
Anastasia
#1 Print Post
Posted on July 13 2007 11:15 AM

Well my elder daughter complained that she wasn't hearing her teacher in background noise. The teacher was softly spoken. She told the teacher that she couldn't hear her properly. The teacher replied for her to listen harder and the work was on the blackboard.

For me I was not sure as she was okay on most things but occasionally there was a wonder. So I got her tested.

In most cases she was average but oftern was above average on the tests.

The Apd results picked up problems in these areas though: Auditory Closure. Binaural seperation of sentences and temporal patterning with interhemispheric transfer.

Anastasia

dawn
#2 Print Post
Posted on July 14 2007 08:42 AM

My son has apd mildly. Next school year we are getting a surround sound hearing system for the classroom . It involves the teacher wearing a microphone and speakers around the classroom . It is useful for deaf children ( there is a deaf child in my daughter's class and that is why we know about the system). It is also good for apd and kids who have chronic glue ear, kids with adhd,and generally the concentration of the whole class improves and behaviour improves.
Also, our teacher was very good and noticed all these problems so when she asked the kids to get their books out she would then address my son and tell himm to get his book out too. also she would always try and keep asking my son questions and keep drawing him into the class discussion to keep his focus . Unfortunately the system costts 1200 but can be moved on to the next class room. There is another system for individual use for kids who keep moving classrooms. Look into it and speak to the sensory department of your local education authority (or equivalent). Then get some mums together and beg your headteacher to beg the PTA!!

eoffg
#3 Print Post
Posted on July 15 2007 08:50 AM

Administrator

Hi Anastasia and Welcome backPfft,
I've been giving some consideration your daughter's problem, following our previous discussions. Where I recall that you tried a simple sound localization exercise. Which involved her identifying where you were speaking from, whilst she had her eyes closed.
But a simple exercise that I wanted to mention, to follow this up with.
Where the same exercise is done, but importantly, this time, the TV or Radio is also on in the room, at the same time.
So that their is a competing sound.
This would begin with the TV/Radio at a low volume.
As an introduction to localising a sound source, with a low level competition.
Then graduates to turning up the TV/Radio to medium volume.
Then onto a higher volume.

So that basically it involves practising to localise sound in a competing environment. Through a graduated process.

Though in relation to Auditory Closure and Temporal Patterning, this is related to Rhythm, Stress and Intonation. Which are fundamental to auditory discrimination, auditory pattern recognition and temporal aspects of audition, basic to the prosodic aspects of speech.
But I have been following research into this, that has identified some special equipment that can be used to develop this ability.
Which are called Drums!

Basically, it involves 'playing drums', to some music.
Where you could use a few different sized containers, with lids.
As the Drums.
For the Drum-Sticks, you can use sticks or spoons, or anything else?
Or even hands?
Which basically involves 'playing the home made drums, along to a song on the radio or stereo'.
Where it is important to have different containers, that produce a different pitch.

But importantly, it develops an awareness of both auditory patterning/ rhythm and auditory closure. Which are fundamental to the auditory processing of speech.

So perhaps you could these?
GeoffPfft,

Anastasia
#4 Print Post
Posted on July 15 2007 11:59 AM

Dawn,

Thanks for the info on the fm systems and not sure of them as helping as yet.

Geoff what you are describing sounds like noise desenstisation homework but different again. the noise desensitisation homework was based on Bellis' work. it required saying things to her with background noise.

She was encouraged to play an instrument which she already does for school. she has a trumpet. plus the school choir and has even managed to be able to sing with the mic so it does make a dif.

Thanks for the welcome back - I have been fairly busy with family etc and have looked in every now and again - just not posted.

The best thing with child 3 is they actually gave comprehensive details and individualised her report. Some of the therapy things they want done with a speech therapist - I could prob do anyways without as I have already done with the youngest child.

Anastasia

When she did the therapy for apd - it was general

Jump to Forum: