Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 3

· Members Online: 1
Faith

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Suggestions?
Admin
#21 Print Post
Posted on November 30 2007 02:17 PM

Super Administrator

Samantha wrote back today - she likes the idea very much, but has too many plans around that day. She will however make sure to mention the dyscalculia day at a conference she's presenting in January...

I can ask the educators in the audience to take this back to thier schools and consider doing something to educate other teachers, parents, and students about dyscalculia in their schools. I can also make a point of mentioning it in furture presentations as well as pass on the date to other people I know who travel and present so they can spread the word.

She also mentions that if the US Learning Disability Association wants to interview her for a newsletter around that day, she would gladly help.

It will probably be a normal interview and then they will probably mention the book. If WE contact them and ask them to write something and tell that Samantha is willing to do an interview, then the forum will be mentioned in the same article as Samantha's book.

So we have to figure out if we want that to be linked (not in the practial sense of clicking) to the dyscalculia forum or not.

In this case, I really don't mind, but Geoff, of course we're not doing anything you don't agree with. We (EVERYONE, you too, so join the discussion please) just have to talk it through more I think, before we decide anything either way.
Edited by Admin on November 30 2007 02:18 PM

http://www.dyscalculiaforum.com
eoffg
#22 Print Post
Posted on December 01 2007 08:29 AM

Administrator

It was an excellent reply from Sam, and I feel that she would be happy if you all got to read it:
"Hi Mette,
I think your idea of a Dyscalculia Awareness Day is an excellent one! I would be happy to talk with you further about my participation however, this upcoming Spring is a pretty busy time for me. I will make a point of mentioning the awarness date at a conference I am presenting at in January. I can ask the educators in the audience to take this back to thier schools and consider doing something to educate other teachers, parents, and students about dyscalculia in thier schools. I can also make a point of mentioning it in furture presentations as well as pass on the date to other people I know who travel and present so they can spread the word.

I would also like to suggest, if you haven't already, sending an announcement about Dycalculia Awareness Day to the state chapters of the Learning Disability Asociation here in the U.S. and encourage them to promote it in thier newsletters. There is a national organization called the learning disabilities association that has a big annual conference every year and then each state usually has its own chapter that hold thier own conferences every year. I can't remember now who publishes the newsletter...if its each state..or the national organization but they send out a wonderful newsletter with all kinds of information about learning disabilities and this might be a great way to spead the word to a lot of parents, students, and teachers. Feel free to let them know that I would be happy to provide them with an interview if they did decide to run a story or annouce Dyscalculia Awareness Day.

Well that is all I have for now but I'll let you know if I think of more ways to promote the day. Write me and let me know what you are thinking. I admire what you are doing and am very impressed by your website and its use as a place for people to connect and learn more about dyscalculia!

Best,
Sam"

eoffg
#23 Print Post
Posted on December 01 2007 09:40 AM

Administrator

I think that Sam would understand that we would want the interview to be about Dyscalculia. Where a minor mention of her book or new book shouldn't be a problem.
I'm pretty sure that the Learning Disabilities Association of America would be just as careful. As a non-profit organization.
But for our US Members, this provides a great opportunity to establish a relationship between our Forum and their Association.
To support each other.
Where we regularly direct our US Members to them, for the support that they provide.
Where they have a branch and website for 42 states in the US.

Though you wrote: "So we have to figure out if we want that to be linked (not in the practical sense of clicking) to the dyscalculia forum or not.'

Yet, importantly it is a voluntary non-profit organization, which perhaps should be the criteria?
Where maybe we could provide 'clickable links' to non-profit organizations throughout the world, that provide help and support to Dyscalculics?
Though most often, such organizations help a range of different Difficulties, which might include Dyscalculia.
Which also most often, they don't know a lot about?

Which presents an opportunity, to work together?

Dyscalculia Day as working together to create UnderstandingPfft

Dyscalculics working together as a TeamPfft

Who tells the story, them or us?

GeoffPfft,

Rasputin
#24 Print Post
Posted on December 01 2007 09:43 AM

Just as an offering, I am a writer of sorts and am currently studying journalism. If there is anything writing wise I can do to help I would be delighted.
And it harms none, do what thou will for that shall be the whole of the law.

eoffg
#25 Print Post
Posted on December 01 2007 09:53 AM

Administrator

Thanks and Welcome RasputinPfft,
It's all about Teamwork!
GeoffPfft

cruachan
#26 Print Post
Posted on February 04 2008 07:57 AM

Hmmm, can't we make a screensaver? Something like what the Human Rights Campaign did for last Coming Out Day.
-----
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
-----

http://weirdsanctuary.blogspot.com
ert
#27 Print Post
Posted on February 05 2008 11:58 PM

Sure, I'll see if there isn't a free software program somewhere to make a screensaver.

http://www.facebook.com/mettechristoffersen
hexbomb
#28 Print Post
Posted on February 25 2008 11:13 PM

Can we have a group/fan page/ on FACEBOOK they really get some good coverage and everyone who's anyone is getting on Facebook... its a big audience. BEBO is also big in NZ and the UK... How about sponsored links/google ads to say help spread awareness about Dyscalculia Day!' and people will either say 'great' or say 'what the hecks that' and click our link... Make sure you have links so people can post this website/any particular articles or videos by Facebook, Google, Myspace, Reddit, Digg, Stumbleupon, etc...... make it easy for people to share the site with others......

Those are my suggestions!! Smile

Post scriptum... Depending what sort of promotion budget you have, you could even get people walking up and down the main street of (TOWN) with stickers, badges, pens, or some promotional item that says its dyscalculia day, what that is, and point them to this site for more info.

www.landmark.co.nz
dawn
#29 Print Post
Posted on February 25 2008 11:23 PM

Children's media suggestion- in the UK we have a publication called First News which is for children and comes out every Friday. Does anyone want to do an article? Very light weight but I expect most mum's read it and schools often get copies for their libraries. Also Newsround has been on tv for about 30 years and is a teatime newsprogram for children(juniors and upwards).

Edited by dawn on February 26 2008 11:19 PM

dawn
#30 Print Post
Posted on February 26 2008 11:23 PM

I wrote to both Newsround and FirstNews comment and suggestion boxes on teir sites and suggested that they highlight dyscalculia on dyscalculia day and that they should check out this site. I'm not going on telly though. My son is not officially dyscalculic (because he performed too well in one or two maths areas on his assessment day!) so it would be wrong and apart from that I'm shy and I've got frizzy hair.

Jump to Forum: