Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 8

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,054
· Newest Member: directionallyimpaired

View Thread

Print Thread
Dyscalculia Day Website
Admin
#1 Print Post
Posted on November 27 2007 08:49 PM

Super Administrator

The dyscalculia day should have a website of it's own (closely linked to this site of course), where people and the media can go to quickly learn about dyscalculia - and the events.

Since dyscalculia day isn't ours and ours alone, I could very well imagine that companies, experts and such would also want to use the day. The more the merrier. They could be mentioned on the site too - though we would split the non-profit dyscalculiaforum events from the other. Right? What do you think?

I'll buy the domain the next couple of days - but what do you think it should be?

1. dyscalculiaday.org
2. dyscalculiaday.com (looks better but usually means that a company is behind it - a fact I didn't know when I started dyscalculiaforum.com Grin )
3. ??

You decide!

http://www.dyscalculiaforum.com
Rac
#2 Print Post
Posted on November 28 2007 02:33 AM

I was wondering if the .org option makes it look more charity-like rather than the .com which might make people think that someone's making money off it.
How will the site be different to this one? Will it be more information based rather than forums?
Edited by Rac on November 28 2007 02:33 AM

Admin
#3 Print Post
Posted on November 28 2007 08:57 AM

Super Administrator

It would be one page (no menu with different subpages and all that) where people can easily get a feeling of what dyscalculia is, why there is such a thing as dyscalculia day, and info about the events.

Admin
#4 Print Post
Posted on December 01 2007 01:17 AM

Super Administrator

People! What do you think? Don't want to go buy a domain everybody doesn't like. So please share your opinions.

Alunasa
#5 Print Post
Posted on December 01 2007 02:40 AM

I'd have to vote for DyscalculiaDay.org
The .org does make it sound less commercial and more credible.

Toe_Nail
#6 Print Post
Posted on December 01 2007 04:32 AM

I agree, .org is better Smile
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer -- Albert Einstein

eoffg
#7 Print Post
Posted on December 01 2007 08:01 AM

Administrator

DyscalculiaDay.org looks the way to goPfft

You wrote that: "It would be one page (no menu with different subpages and all that)..."
But we can create it as what is called a 'Landing Page', within the Forum.
Then it could have a menu of links to pages within the Forum.

GeoffPfft

Rasputin
#8 Print Post
Posted on December 01 2007 09:37 AM

Very new member here but I agree that .org would be the way to go. It is more informative based than .com or others.

Also as the forum is already well established with fantastic information and links the web page need only to have one link directing people to here.
And it harms none, do what thou will for that shall be the whole of the law.

Rac
#9 Print Post
Posted on December 01 2007 10:56 AM

I like eoffg's idea about the landing page. Good for people who aren't sure where to go on the site and makes it easier to navigate. Just something really simple but helpful.
Edited by Rac on December 18 2007 12:52 AM

Admin
#10 Print Post
Posted on December 01 2007 05:00 PM

Super Administrator

Ok, I'll buy the domain then.

Silva
#11 Print Post
Posted on February 05 2008 07:40 PM

So, do you have the domain? Can we have a web link to it?

http://www.helium.com/users/124208
Rac
#12 Print Post
Posted on February 05 2008 07:58 PM

Well I've checked a domain site and it's not registered. I just had a thought though. Who's actually paying for the domain? I mean, is it fair that one person should have to pay for something that benefits everyone?
It's a shame there isn't a way to donate money, cos I bet we'd have loads by now. An international trust fund!

ert
#13 Print Post
Posted on February 05 2008 11:56 PM

I haven't made the site yet, so it's not up yet. Been busy with exams and a new internship, but I have this next weekend to do it Smile

I'm paying for the domain (I'm the admin). It's not that much. We're (Countess, eoffg and I) still not convinced the whole donation thing would be a good thing. You all should know where the money go down to the last cent IF we ever do it, and I have no idea how to do that. Also, there are tax issues that means I wouldn't be able to be the one who takes care of donations. The Danish state would take half, and if it gets to a certain amount, my state scholarship will be affected (we get paid to go to school here, but can only earn a certain amount on the side - and even though it's a donation it would be in the category of a paycheck because the forum isn't an organization). That, and the fact that I'm dyscalculic and about to pee my pants just thinking about it Grin

http://www.facebook.com/mettechristoffersen
Silva
#14 Print Post
Posted on February 07 2008 07:39 AM

Then why not just use the home page here?

http://www.helium.com/users/124208
kbdb1243
#15 Print Post
Posted on February 07 2008 06:48 PM

I agree with silva. maybe on the main page making a big sub-menu with a page full of what you would put on the .org site

www.myspace.com/karenbethdb
kbdb1243
#16 Print Post
Posted on February 07 2008 06:50 PM

also how about a supporter- like say Dave Ramsey (deals mostly with money and staying out of debt but he is widely known and I think he would find this very interesting espcially since dyscalculia causes problems with things like budgetting)

www.myspace.com/karenbethdb
gooup
#17 Print Post
Posted on February 11 2008 05:23 PM

buy both ... use one. People often mix up the two. That way, if they mistype .com for .org, or vice versa, either way they will end up at the site. Directnic.com has domains for $15.
Edited by gooup on February 11 2008 06:11 PM

www.harp-oh.com
Fangor
#18 Print Post
Posted on September 09 2008 10:06 PM

I might be digging up old stuff here but if this is still in question I agree that .org is what you should use, .com is reserved for commercial interests. But all the same it's just as gooup says, might as well register both and have .com link over to .org

As for the money aspect, I applaud ert for taking it upon yourself to pay for it. But you could also set up paypal donation on the website to help keep it up. Members here can pitch in a bit with what we can. Using paypal is quite easy, I use it myself now and again. And the only fee they ever take for anything is a small transaction fee. If someone send you 100 dollars over paypal, paypal takes 3 $, for example. No monthly fees or anything like that. And the beauty of it is nowadays you don't even need a paypal account to pay someone/something over paypal.

Again, if I'm bumping old history here, I'm sorry.

justfoundout
#19 Print Post
Posted on September 09 2008 10:14 PM

9/9/08
No, you have a very clear way of expressing yourself. I'm interested in Paypal. I tried to set up a skype account once, but never could get it to download properly. So I didn't set up a Paypal account either. I appreciate your expertize. - justfoundout

Fangor
#20 Print Post
Posted on September 10 2008 12:04 AM

justfoundout wrote:
9/9/08
No, you have a very clear way of expressing yourself. I'm interested in Paypal. I tried to set up a skype account once, but never could get it to download properly. So I didn't set up a Paypal account either. I appreciate your expertize. - justfoundout

Thanx :-)

I'm actually looking into how receiving payment via paypal works for an unrelated thing I have going. If you guys need some help with paypal, PM me and I'll be happy to help out if I can.
As a company they are really making a point in trying to be easy to use and for payments they have lots of options these days, you don't even need to use a credit card if you can't or don't want to. And I trust them about as much as any other major bank, I've dealt with them before and know many others who have.

Also on a related note I have my own domain and website I use privately. I've had it for years now and pay 48 $ a year for it. Which is agreeable. I use One.com and have had no problems at all really. There are probably even cheaper hosters out there to.

Jump to Forum: