Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,048
· Newest Member: Nicki Holmes

View Thread

Print Thread
MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC
not stupid
#1 Print Post
Posted on December 15 2007 05:01 PM

There seems to be a strong connection with most of us that we all love music.
Whether it be listening to rock or classical, or producing my own, I can be totally lost in music and lose hours listening. Some one mentioned day dreaming and I suppose this is my own form of day dream. Music can produce such strong images in my mind, and reproduced emotion in a piece I wrote for flute.
Does anyone else have these feelings with music ?
I HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE !

GaryR55
#2 Print Post
Posted on January 27 2008 08:07 AM

Absolutely! This brings to mind the connections between music and memory. I've long had the ability to recall the artist, title and year of most any song I've heard and when I've been asked how I do it so well, I tell them it's because I can recall where I was and what I was doing when I first heard the song. Memory is schematic; a web of associations, and a sound, smell, or sight can trigger a whole cascade of memories that have become associated, in our minds, with some event or experience. Even the seemingly mundane moments of a day from your childhood can be forever linked to a song you were hearing on the radio at that moment and, forever afterward, hearing that song will arouse the memory of that moment and what you were doing then. Conversely, thinking back on your childhood, you may recall a song you haven't heard in many years, all because it's become connected with a certain sight or smell or taste or sound in your mind. The smell of diesel exhaust fumes, for instance, always reminds me of visits to my grandmother's house in St. Louis, Missouri in the summers, when I was a boy and that, in turn, always reminds me of my grandmother's young neighbor next door sitting on his front porch playing bongos on one particular summer morning in 1962.
Edited by GaryR55 on January 27 2008 08:10 AM

Lynx
#3 Print Post
Posted on January 29 2008 10:38 PM

Yeah I'm like that!! You can play a song and I will instantly remember where I was the first time I heard it, who I was with, what I was doing and what time of day it was.
I try to teach myself guitar but I can't play very well because it takes me ages to get the hang of the fingering.
I can't read musical notes and can only just read tab charts.
But yeah I love music, partly because I can just listen and forget everything else! I play music all the time too when I am studying, when I am reading or chilling out.

Lynx
#4 Print Post
Posted on January 29 2008 10:55 PM

I also find I can be really affected by the emotion in music. If I am on my own and it is a particularly sad piece of music, or if it reminds me of a certain part of my life that I miss I will quite often end up crying and it sometimes makes me feel pathetic because I am crying over a piece of music!! I also find movies are not the same without the music.

ert
#5 Print Post
Posted on February 04 2008 01:44 AM

Music can bring me back to past events like nothing else can.

http://www.facebook.com/mettechristoffersen
seeta_ji
#6 Print Post
Posted on May 17 2008 06:43 PM

Definitly Cool
They laugh at me because I'm different...I laugh at them because they're all the SAME!
...*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*...
~*Seeta*~

Lynx
#7 Print Post
Posted on June 01 2008 01:59 PM

I also find that I can get lost in music. I can just sit there doing nothing but listen to my favourite bands and get really into the music and all of a sudden two hours have gone.
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater." Einstein

hoobit
#8 Print Post
Posted on June 01 2008 04:25 PM

[[A tangent to this discussion—an observation from the ‘outside’:
Lordy... the connections (and affinity) math LDers seem to have with -and for- music is, is, is...I don’t know what the word I want is. It might just be anecdotal, but your across-the-board affinity seems to be so much more than the non-math LDers; you all seem to be ‘drawn’ to music in a much more ‘visceral’/life-’essential’way. Ach, I can’t explain...

Recent scientific reports are all about “oh, music is soooo good for the mind - it increases the brain’s abilities in mathematics...there is a direct correlation between exposure to music and math abilities—expose all (young) people to music!”

[I know the studies recently reported are nothing new...the findings have been reported before. It seems, though, as if the connection between music and math is being studied again and again and again and the results are always the same: Music = Good math. Consistently and continually.]

What, then, is the difference between the ‘normal’ brain’s marriage of music and math that results in ‘many off-spring’ and the dyscalculic brain’s that ends up barren? Why is it that the dyscalculic can adore music, can have music as a significant part of their life (as [self-taught] musician and/or as a real aficionado who has music on/in their soul, heart, and mind 24/7), and yet, is incapable of ‘doing math’ and math-related operations?

If the ‘normal’ brain’s abilities in math are measurably enhanced by the study/introduction of music, why isn’t the dyscalculic’s brain similarly ‘enhanced’? When music is, as this and other threads and discussions indicate, such a HUGE part of the dyscalculic’s very ‘being,’ why doesn’t it, equally, ramp up their math abilities?

Gads, I wish I were years younger than I am now; if I were, I would study exclusively how things that are most beneficial to the ‘normal’ (read: non-math LD) brain when it comes to math, seem to have ziltch affect (and effect) on the math LD brain. The more I learn about math LD, the more I find this type of difference—what is ‘good’ for the non-math LD brain is promoted/pushed for the math LDer as a ‘help’ or as a ‘try this’ or as a ‘just do this’, and yet, for the math LDer, those things make an absolutely negligible difference…if any at all.

While I’m excited as all get out that serious study of dyscalculia is finally being conducted, I’m impatient for those who are dedicated in its study to come up with the myriad answers that need answering. I can’t imagine how impatient all of you with dyscalculia must be. I am in awe of your fortitude (and ‘adaptations’ you each discover and make on your own—and unselfishly share with fellow dyscalculics) as you wait and wait and wait... Kudos to you all for your incredible strength, resilience, determination…and endurance. You each inspire me. Greatly. m.]]

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Toe_Nail
#9 Print Post
Posted on June 01 2008 07:12 PM

hoobit wrote:
Recent scientific reports are all about “oh, music is soooo good for the mind - it increases the brain’s abilities in mathematics...there is a direct correlation between exposure to music and math abilities—expose all (young) people to music!”

The question is: In which way is music supposed to help maths?

Just blowing in a recoder or making some sounds with a musical instrument in an intuitive manner isn't going to improve any mathematic abilities. But clapping hands, keeping the tempo and that sort of thing is because it implies that one must subdivide time weather it is a 4/4 beat, 3/4, 6/8 or whatever. Playing by ear won't necessarily improve mathematic abilities since someone that plays by ear isn't necessarily conscious that he/she she is playing say the dominant seventh on C7 chord (therefore Bflat) and that C7 is really the 5th degree of the key of F Major (which naturally has only one flattened note, the Bflat) and that they could improvise in F Major on a C7 chord - That's what jazz musicians do and it's all mathematics - I find that it is a huge claim to say that music helps mathemetic abilities since most people don't know music that way but of course are naturally drawn by music, so is human nature - That calim isn't fasle but it isn't specific either. They just say music (in a very broad sense) is good to improvemath abilities.

A dyscalculic person may be able to understand the mathematical theory behind all of this. I do, but when comes the timeto play, to improvise live on the spot, my ability to quickly calculate these complex equations is just as poor as my ability to do mental maths because it is the same. Its mental maths. It doesn't stop a dyscalculic from playing music but their approach is different. For instance I do a lot of by heart. As in, I do happen to know by heart that Bflat is the dominant seventh of C7 which is the 5th degree of F Major. I didn't actually calculate that. I just made errors on that particular chord so often that once I've finaly got it figured-out, I remember just the correct answer and now apply it. No maths Wink
Edited by Toe_Nail on June 01 2008 07:16 PM
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer -- Albert Einstein

Jump to Forum: