Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 6

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

Print Thread
This part of the forum is...
Know-It-All
#1 Print Post
Posted on March 15 2005 01:00 AM

Administrator

...about anything that has to do with living with dyscalculia.

Have you found a good way to understand schedules, are you looking for help to make a budget or do you have an idea that would help others?

http://www.dyscalculiaforum.com
Cecily
#2 Print Post
Posted on March 19 2008 02:57 AM

I'm really bad at keeping dates, and even worse at keeping the time of things. I found that buy drawing a calender on a piece of poster board then filling up the dates and times, then hanging it on the wall I can keep things more easily organized. Instead of trying to remember dates and times in my head or in a tiny organizer, I can look at them in big fonts (( big fonts just help me.lol. )) and I know that I'm right. :]

I hope I don't sound too crazy about the big font thing.
The cruelest joke ever? Algebra - shooting down dyscalculics, and dyslexics with one shot.

Rac
#3 Print Post
Posted on March 20 2008 03:00 AM

Yeah, I used to be terrible at remembering and understanding the date and where that date was in the month, until I got a calendar. It sounds really obvious, but just having a visual in my own room really helps. Every day, I cross off a day with a marker pen to see how much of the month has gone.

I also have a number square on my desktop wallpaper so that I can count, although it doesn't help as much as I thought because I just forget the numbers when I look away.Sad

I wonder if anyone has ever had a number line tattooed to their arm?
Or even left and right, or east and west. A bit extreme but it would help!

Cecily
#4 Print Post
Posted on March 20 2008 12:46 PM

I've never gotten anything tattooed, but speaking of the north, south, east, west thing...when I was younger I got east and west mixed up all the time. I never even noticed that I had them backwards! I still remember the day I figured it out!
The cruelest joke ever? Algebra - shooting down dyscalculics, and dyslexics with one shot.

Rac
#5 Print Post
Posted on March 20 2008 04:05 PM

You mean you wrote it backwards? Like tsew and tsae?
I still get them mixed up. It happens all the time.

By the way Cecily, I love your algebra slogan. I couldn't stop laughing when I read it!Grin

Cecily
#6 Print Post
Posted on March 21 2008 04:26 AM

Well, I would use my hand and go up for north down for south, but then when i went left for west I always said east then went right for east and said west. ha ha. I almost confused myself there!

Thank you. I thought of that while I was in summer school because I failed, what else? Algebra!Grin I'm just glad someone got it!
Edited by Cecily on March 21 2008 04:26 AM

Rac
#7 Print Post
Posted on March 22 2008 12:10 AM

lol. Yeah! I've done that!
'Which way Rachael?'
'Left' *turns right*
Then everyone bursts out laughing and I have no idea why!

When these thing happen, I really wish that I could just explain why I did it. Even when people know about dyscalculia, they forget!
So if we're gonna suggest things that would help the everyday dyscalculic.. how about a sign- maybe about the shape of a ping pong bat- that says
"Duh! I have dyscalculia. Give me a friggin' break!"

Lostinspatial
#8 Print Post
Posted on June 08 2008 06:23 PM

Technology helps a lot. I use a cell (mobile) phone navigator feature for both my car & sometimes on foot as well. Though I check with people at my destination because sometimes the directions are a bit off. I do my banking online & use software for my taxes. I've gotten a lot better about financial procrastination since I started doing so. I use the calendar feature of outlook to keep track of appointments and set reminders for myself.

I use the cell to enter in parking locations unless it's a really familiar one like the one at the local mall I've been going to with my parents since I was 9 & driving on my own since I learned to drive at 20. Even with the familiar one, I still need to look around and fix it in my mind. I just thought about using my cell phone camera to take a picture. I'll try that in addition to the jotting down next time.

Lostinspatial
#9 Print Post
Posted on June 08 2008 06:27 PM

Cecily wrote:
I've never gotten anything tattooed, but speaking of the north, south, east, west thing...when I was younger I got east and west mixed up all the time. I never even noticed that I had them backwards! I still remember the day I figured it out!

This reminds me of the REM song Stand. I like REM & enjoy most of their songs, but I always had a hard time with that one! I'd get so caught up in the first directional lyrics, I couldn't follow the rest of the song! Smile

pinkymoo
#10 Print Post
Posted on June 13 2008 01:39 AM

Cecily I keep important dates on a big calendar on the wall like you mentioned. I used to do that all the time when I was at uni. I used highlights so the important dates were obvious and I colour coded them to. Holidays one colour, hand in dates another that kind of thing. I also use the calendar on my phone to issue me with short term reminders and reoccuring events like birthdays. I can set the alarm to remind me up to a month before so I can remember to get a present and things it's cool.

I can fully understand the east west thing. North and south I have no problem. East and West I muddle and all of those rhymes like Never, Eat, Shreaded, Weat don't work because you have to know that they've gone clockwise around the face of the compass and I struggle to know what a clockwise direction is because I don't read analogue clocks very well!

Rac, I am personally thinking of adopting a wet fish method for all of my long standing friends and family who constantly say to me "you know such and such a street, house, shop etc ? ..... well it's near there just head in that direction" Yes I do know the place of which you speak but I have no effing idea how to get there as everything blends and switches order in my brain. So yes I know but no I can't get there! Cue wet fish. You start with the line "You know....." and I slap you with a very big wet fish until you conceed the fact you'll have to baby step me through it with a ground up walking direction route with landmarks to look for and at least 3 attempts at it with your presence and will stop using that phrase Pfft

I had a classic blooper come from my boyfriend earlier today when he was telling me about a crash that had happened in the town he works in. Some old bloke had driven his car up a pedestrianised high street. He was describing the location of the crash, somewhere i'd walked along last week. We live 5 hours apart and have known each other for 2 years.

He said to me. "You know Woolworths"

"Yes" I said thinking I know exists as I bought batteries

"and you know the shop next door that used to be my bank?"

"Erm no. I've only known you 2 years and I can't think off the top of my head who you bank with!"

"well anyways it was near there"

How on earth am I supposed to work out where the crash was based on a bank i never knew existed there! My directional skills are bad enough without having to source non existant banks of yester year!Sad

Lostinspatial
#11 Print Post
Posted on June 13 2008 02:49 AM

interesting note re: the highlighters, thought I was one of the few who did that.

srolfsm
#12 Print Post
Posted on October 18 2008 12:22 AM

Does anyone ever feel surprised when you find the moon in an unexpected place? I drive a route between the store and home that I memorized but I guess that I don't really have a good sense of where I'm going. After pulling into the driveway, I saw the moon in the exact opposite place of where I had seen it just a few minutes ago. My husband tried to show me what had happened by turning in a half circle and explaining where I'd turned. Yet, even with the explanation making sense, it did not erase the feeling of disorientation that came along with sensing the moon "move".

tammyk1
#13 Print Post
Posted on October 18 2008 02:08 AM

I am a little different...I know the moon rises and changes places in the sky, however, if you ask me what direction it will move...no clue.

I just think its beautiful...and thats my justification. Smile

tr3slunas
#14 Print Post
Posted on January 18 2009 12:39 PM

Hi Srolfsm, I do the exact same thing, and although I know the explanation is correct it is against my gut instinct to trust it! I think I am worst when I am on a train, especially if the train was traveling in one direction then rests in a station and pulls out the same way and in another direction (such as Woking UK) as I feel I am going in the same direction it blows my mind when I end up in the oppposite!

crowskyler
#15 Print Post
Posted on July 25 2009 08:38 AM

I, too, get west and east completely mixed up. I play an online game that sometimes requires you to give someone directions, or to follow them, according to east and west -- and, nearly every time, I have to ask someone if west is left or east is right, and so forth. Falls out of my head every time I stop using it. I couldn't even say now!

In real life, though, left and right was the same thing. I think I finally got it squared away when I was 18, learning to drive, but sometimes it just... leaves, and I have to think about it for a moment. I know which side of the street I need to be on, but I sometimes I can't tell you if it's a right or left turn.
"The caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity." --George Carlin

http://www.velvetdemon.net/
Kestrel6
#16 Print Post
Posted on August 26 2009 01:29 AM

I sorted out NSEW directions by learning constellations and depending on the sun, but as far as mapping, I have an exact map in my head but it's flipped over (as if it was printed on clear plastic and turned face down).

Did learn a reliable left-right cue, though. Look at the backs of both hands. Close them into fists, then extend the thumbs and index fingers. Only the left hand forms the letter L .
Blessed are the PURR in heart!

http://twicetoldtails.googlepages.com
lace9
#17 Print Post
Posted on August 26 2009 03:03 AM

I still use Never Eat Shredded Wheat and am fine with clockwise/anticlockwise, which is odd as I still can't do left from right without serious effort and Shredded Wheat are one of my fave cereals.
Being truly great with money is easy... just don't spend it. Trust me... this works every time.

angkor
#18 Print Post
Posted on September 28 2010 05:18 AM

I'm worse than hopeless when it comes to schedules. My former career often required me to put together schedules for visiting VIPs. I would sit at my desk staring at my pc, or a blank sheet of paper. I relied on good secretaries to help me out. Worse, I sometimes screwed up on times and dates and messed up terribly. I once fumbled badly the schedule for a foreign govt. minister and landed in hot water.

My wife handles the schedules in our household. She's super at it and gave up on me a long time ago (re scheduling, that is).

The only thing that helps me on scheduling is when everything is put down very clearly step-by-step on paper so I only need to read what to do at what time.

joyrjw
#19 Print Post
Posted on December 28 2010 03:51 AM

I've always had trouble with my time sense...I haven't remedied that yet.Grin 1 hour can be like 5minutes or vice versa...
but keeping a calendar on my wall and crossing the days off helps, writing down my schedule on the calendar helps, setting the alarm on my cell phone is useful(a little), playing brain training games has been a big help (just the other day for the first time I clearly understood N-S-E-W because of a spatial orientation game I was playingCool)and I think that's about it....that I can think of anyway. Smile
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well.

- Vincent van Gogh

justfoundout
#20 Print Post
Posted on December 28 2010 06:49 AM

12/27/10
Dear joyrjw,
What is the name, please, of that spatial orientation game? If there is a link to it, and especially if it's free, please post it here.

I can do NSEW, and I can navigate using a map. This took an effort for me to learn to do, but I did it, and I'm very happy now with that knowledge. When I returned to live in the DFW metroplex, I had to find my way to many job interviews. I was 'on my own' in finding the places where I had appointments. I didn't know any landmarks. Many a time, I'd pull off the street that I was on, park on a sidestreet, and focus on the sequence of names of streets on the map. Then, I'd see 'going in which direction' those names were lining up in that same order, to figure out whether I was going North or South on that street. Whew! Once I'd get the map pointed North, then I could visualize which way I should go to arrive at the right spot on the map. Sometimes it would seem like the whole thing would 'flip over' in my head, especially when I would 'expand' on the map that I was looking at and think about 'way over that way' would make me arrive at New York City and the Atlantic Ocean, while 'way over the other way' would make me arrive at Los Angeles and the Pacific Ocean. But once I 'had it', it became my ally. Now, I'm sometimes surprised to find that many, many people,... too many to all be dyscalculic,... have no concept whatsoever of NSEW. It's just such a useful convention, and great for giving and receiving directions, so that everybody arrives at the right destination. - jus'

Jump to Forum: