Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 4

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
This part of the forum is...
joyrjw
#21 Print Post
Posted on December 28 2010 10:16 AM

SmileI'm genuinely glad for you, justfoundout,but at the same time I feel bad that you had to learn in such a difficult manner. Sad

Here's the link for fitbrains.com

http://www.fitbra...7QodAUl6mw

and here's the other link

luminosity.com

http://www.lumosi...

both cost money,but they also offer several free games.

I hope they're helpfulSmile

It's nice to meet you Cool
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well.

- Vincent van Gogh

justfoundout
#22 Print Post
Posted on December 28 2010 05:17 PM

12/19/10
Thanks for the links, joyrjw! I hope that those who haven't learned to use this type of 'navigation' will try out these links and whatever else might help, because it's such a useful thing to know.

Actually, though, on the 'way' that I learned, I've never seen it as 'learning in such a difficult manner'. I think that learning NSEW by driving around, trying to find something, was probably the best way for me to learn. ;) - jus'

RottieWoman
#23 Print Post
Posted on December 28 2010 05:44 PM

'jus, your story about navigating in the DFW area for job interviews reminds me of my driving background -I learned to drive for my case manager job, which required that I transport some of my clients with cognitive disabilities, on errands. Some clients used the bus and some used paratransit; I had one client who was hoping to learn to drive<and I do wonder if she achieved that>. But some clients didn't "qualify" for paratransit, weren't on bus lines or otherwise had transportation needs outside of what was available, so I would drive. I also had to make home visits and check things like - food in frig., safety hazards, med. taken, just how the residence was, and maybe help with some cooking or whatever. So, the stipulation for my being offered the job was that I learn to drive. For the first few months, I had maybe 4 pretty independent clients and another caseworker, my dad and sometimes husband actually drove me - and sometimes a client too. Eventually I did learn to drive. My supervisors were very patient with me, given the nature of the work. I had disclosed my LD immediately. I sometimes got lost when trying to find a new client's home, and sometimes I took a cab or had someone else drive if I needed to meet with someone, say, downtown, or the area seemed particularly confusing.
I still have a lot of trouble with directions and maps but I think that experience instilled a lot of confidence and did help me a lot because I will TRY to find many new places now and try to look at maps. But one thing that I tend to be good at sense of direction and use of landmarks, so that helps me a lot - I often have an idea of where something "should" be or "it feels like it should be that way".
Hubby, however, has NO sense of direction at all. None.

Smile
Edited by RottieWoman on December 28 2010 05:45 PM

justfoundout
#24 Print Post
Posted on December 28 2010 06:32 PM

12/29/10
Dear RW,
Yes, I agree with this. You said,... "but I think that experience instilled a lot of confidence and did help me a lot because I will TRY to find many new places now and try to look at maps." Because we figure out a few things and get those right, this begins to build our confidence that, given the right tools, peace of mind, and time, we can figure out even more, and expand our 'stomping grounds'. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on December 28 2010 06:33 PM

mathd
#25 Print Post
Posted on January 26 2011 03:12 PM

I still can't tell you which way is NSEW. I mean I know north on top, south on bottome and "WE" BUT I never point it in the right direction..lol my hand and brain don't quite cooperate.

I just learned about two or three years ago to tell my left from my right. Everyone kept telling me "Just make an L and the one that make's an L is left." Well that's great, but the problem is they both make an L!! Granted one's backwards, but my brain didn't quite know how to go about understanding that!!lol

justfoundout
#26 Print Post
Posted on January 26 2011 05:55 PM

1/26/11
Dear mathd,
So, what 'did' help you learn 'left and right'? Texas is so flat that I think that helps 'see' NSEW. - jus'

squeakymonster
#27 Print Post
Posted on January 26 2011 06:10 PM

I never could understand NSEW, even with cutesy rhymes. I still don't know which way is which, because when I look at a clock, unless I can take it off a wall, I can't change it to where I need to go for directions, especially if it's on a map and I'm trying to turn. Eeek! I can usually get where I'm going, but it takes longer and it may (and usually isn't) the most direct way to get there. For going long distances (it helps that I don't own my own car), I try to take mass-transit.

As far as left and right, I have to look at my hands to see which makes the "L". Of course, there are days I forget which is actually the correct "L". Today, I forgot how to spell "and". There are days I hate having an LD!
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

justfoundout
#28 Print Post
Posted on January 26 2011 07:07 PM

1/26/11
I think that observing 'where' the Sun 'comes up', and 'where' the Sun 'sets' is a good beginning. Add to that the 'saying'-- 'as the sun set slowly in the West'. Notice where the sun is just before it 'sets'. That's "West"! (not perfectly, but 'more or less') - jus'

lionflower
#29 Print Post
Posted on May 29 2011 03:10 AM

Cecily wrote:
I've never gotten anything tattooed, but speaking of the north, south, east, west thing...when I was younger I got east and west mixed up all the time. I never even noticed that I had them backwards! I still remember the day I figured it out!

When I was young, I always thought my left and my right were relative to north. So, when asked what was my left or what was my right, I always had to figure out where north was, first, before I could answer. Do any of you have a history of making things way more complex than they need to be?

RottieWoman
#30 Print Post
Posted on June 03 2011 11:49 PM

hello and welcome, lionflower.
I've always had issues with the compass directions and Left and Right. Sometimes due to where we live geographically, I've associated the lake with "East" and that has been useful at time.
Usually when someone asks me what way turn in the car, for example <am with someone and we're trying to find something and I know where it is by feeling and/or landmarks> I'll say - "turn your way" and point.

BadatMath
#31 Print Post
Posted on June 13 2011 12:32 PM

Boy..these stories sound so familiar to me. NEVER say east, west, north or south in directions..I need right or left, up or down LOL And I really wish I had had digital clocks back when..because I had difficulty with those too.

Now math is haunting me by not allowing me to get through math in college (even with a private tutor),

math is like a bad mexican meal..keeps returning!

ghd danmark
#32 Print Post
Posted on June 17 2011 12:49 AM

Everyone should be a eficient time manager.

ghd danmark
#33 Print Post
Posted on June 20 2011 12:07 AM

Thanks for sharing.

darthlaurie
#34 Print Post
Posted on June 24 2011 09:51 PM

I took a social dance class in high school. We did a unit on square dancing. We're listening to the recorded "caller" and when he said "Turn right" the entire class (roughly 20-30 students) stopped and looked at their hands to figure out which way to go-- hilarious! Even today with my belly dance troupe we have issues with rights and lefts. To add to the confusion I wear my watch on my right wrist because I had trouble wearing jewelry on my left wrist years ago.
I was at a dance workshop a couple Saturdays ago and the instructor, Jim Boz, did give some useful advice. Instead of saying turn right or turn left he would say turn to the inside or turn to the outside which worked really well for me. To further elaborate, turning to the inside is going back the way you came and turning to the outside would be the opposite.
I got a Windows 7 phone in November and it has been wonderful. My doctor wanted me to skip my thyroid pill once each week. I knew that I'd mess that up if I didn't have a plan. I have it on my phone's calendar and an alarm goes off at 10pm each Monday night that reminds me to skip that pill each week.
My one coping mechanism all these years has been doing the same routine each night. When I first started taking daily medication I determined the time of day it would work best is just before bed. My medicine and a jug of water is on my nightstand and I almost never forget to take my medicine. The problems come when I need to take something in the morning because there's a good chance I'll forget.

justfoundout
#35 Print Post
Posted on June 25 2011 04:38 PM

6/25/11
I took a square-dance class when I was a teen-ager. That was really fun. I don't have a problem with right and left. And, thinking back, the fact that the 'caller' was telling us what to do, just before we were supposed to do it, meant that I didn't have any trouble with doing the routine. It's so clear to see now, that I had no problem with 'following proceedures'. Rather, I had trouble 'remembering procedures'. As long as I was hearing the verbal instructions I could do as well at the dance as anyone else. ...probably the reason that I had so much fun at that class. - jus'

Ladyhawke
#36 Print Post
Posted on November 25 2011 04:59 PM

justfoundout wrote:
6/25/11
I took a square-dance class when I was a teen-ager. That was really fun. I don't have a problem with right and left. And, thinking back, the fact that the 'caller' was telling us what to do, just before we were supposed to do it, meant that I didn't have any trouble with doing the routine. It's so clear to see now, that I had no problem with 'following proceedures'. Rather, I had trouble 'remembering procedures'. As long as I was hearing the verbal instructions I could do as well at the dance as anyone else. ...probably the reason that I had so much fun at that class. - jus'
I am exactly like you, Jus. I also had no problem with square dancing in school and I don't have a problem with left or right. It's not the following procedures, it's the remembering that's tough--I so agree with that.

justfoundout
#37 Print Post
Posted on November 30 2011 11:23 PM

11/30/11
It's not that I'd wish dyscalculia on anyone, and yet, it's somehow reassuring to hear that you've got some of my same issues. Thanks, ladyhawke. - jus'

dyscalculicphysicist
#38 Print Post
Posted on February 09 2012 08:46 PM

hello everybody!
I noticed this was a forum about how difficult we find things well I find instructions impossible to follow, I'm extremely absent minded, I can't count change, foreign money is alien to me I just can't deal with it. I can't tell my times tables which makes basic calculations impossible and I don't have a clue how to tell the time on an analogue clock which means i'm always either early or late.

thought i'd share Smile

HappyFoxy
#39 Print Post
Posted on April 21 2012 02:47 PM

lionflower wrote:
Do any of you have a history of making things way more complex than they need to be?

Oh yes! When I was at school and my dad tried to 'help' me with maths, I'd take huge complicated routes to find the answer to simple arithmetic problems...often with pages of 'working out'! Funny thing is, I'd often get the answer right, but dad couldn't understand how I could possibly have got the answer from my calculations because they didn't make sense. And there was no way I could explain how I came by the answer either! Pfft

I can't tell you all how relieved I am to find out that the east-west problem is fairly commplace. I've never told anyone about mine, as I was so ashamed of it. And I loved this question by srolfsm: 'Does anyone ever feel surprised when you find the moon in an unexpected place?' It not only made me laugh out loud, but also hit a chord as I've had that happen to me too. The odd thing is, I'm really good at spatial awareness and I never get lost, but I still have trouble remembering east & west and left & right. A funny thing that happened recently. I've got a website of my architectural & landscape photography and local history, and a couple of weeks ago I was reviewing one of my pages about an ancient church. I suddenly realised that I'd written 'east window' when I should've written 'west'. So I changed it. About half an hour later, I realised that I was right in the first place, and had to go back and change it back again! Pfft

Oh, and another guilty secret! Wink Does anyone else have trouble with the alphabet? I can't pinpoint where a letter is without going through the whole alphabet in my head when I look in a directory or finding a book in the library. I'm wondering if it's the same thing as counting, that we have to count the objects in sets rather than see the amount just by sight. Does that make sense?

Oh, and another thing! LOL! I also have extreme difficulty with...actually, I'm not sure of the terms or how to word it, but with things that are mirrored. Not images, but concepts. I'll try and explain...in photography, the aperture sizes are opposite to what you'd think they'd be because the image is mirrored inside the camera. I'm a photographer and have been using a camera since I was seven years old, but I still can't remember which aperture numbers represent the smallest or largest sizes. I managed to find a way around that by using a simpler method of changing the settings without relying on the aperture numbers...but don't ask me how as it's like the complicated calculations I did with arithmetic, and I haven't got a clue how to explain it! Grin
Edited by HappyFoxy on April 21 2012 02:53 PM

www.pastremains.co.uk
melanieb
#40 Print Post
Posted on August 30 2013 09:51 AM

At my newish job we have a pool. I'm a receptionist at a hotel. They say it takes six to eight weeks to be fully trained. Its been six, I'm not even close. Dates spreads sheets and charts galore.....need I say more? Anyway back to the pool. So every morning I take the keys, unlock and roll up the gate between the guest rooms and the front desk, walk down a hallway to an enclosed pool walk around the pool straightening things up as I go and unlocking the gates, one on each side of the pool. Easy right? Well maybe if you're not me. Every day when I get to the other side of the pool I am disoriented and actually have to look down the hall in both directions to locate the double doors I just went through only moments earlier in order to get back to the front desk. Its not a really big deal, there is almost never anyone else around to witness it. But it makes me feel like a fool. Every day I walk in a circle and where I end up is a mystery to me every day. Ridiculous!
Edited by melanieb on August 30 2013 10:28 PM

Jump to Forum: