Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 8

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Colleges that substitute math.
justfoundout
#1 Print Post
Posted on July 22 2008 01:44 PM

7/22/08
Let's compile a list of Colleges and Universities that will waive math credits for a student with a professional diagnosis of dyscalculia.

Also, if possible, give information on:
(1) contact information for that college
(2) what they will accept in lieu of the math credits
(3) location of the college
(4) whether it's a 2-year or 4-year college
(5) a web link
(6) and what portion of credits must be earned at that college in order for them to bestow the degree. (This would be helpful to anyone considering transferring there from another college.)

Texas Wesleyan University
Admissions phone: 817/ 531-4422 Primary Phone Number: 817-531-4444
Fort Worth, Texas
4-year private college
http://www.txwes....ectory.htm

Tarrant County College
call (817) 515-8223 or e-mail .
They will accept logic in lieu of math course for dyscalculics.
Fort Worth, Texas
2-year community college
http://www.tccd.e...agekey=163
Must earn 1/4 of credits at this school in order for them to bestow the degree.
Edited by justfoundout on February 15 2013 02:01 AM

evie dee
#2 Print Post
Posted on July 23 2008 03:12 PM

http://www.wayne.edu-Detroit, MI.
Wayne State University will waive the math requirement as long as you provide documentation that you have dyscalculia.
Edited by evie dee on August 24 2008 05:23 PM

http://myspace.com/evie_dee
justfoundout
#3 Print Post
Posted on July 23 2008 03:15 PM

7/23/08
Thanks, Evie Dee. That's just the kind of information that I was hoping people would put here. Would you mind editing your posting to put what city and state Wayne State is in? This would make it faster for members who are looking at the list of colleges. Thanks again.
justfoundout

justfoundout
#4 Print Post
Posted on August 17 2008 08:52 PM

8/17/08
No-algebra 2-year degree for Texans.
Tarrant County College in Fort Worth, Texas
http://www.tccd.e...

To the best of my knowledge, these 2-year degrees do not have an algebra requirement. Take a look. If I find out anything different, I'll update this info. The college is in Tarrant County, with campuses near (or in) Fort Worth, Texas. However, in the Criminal Justice degree, you'd be studying Texas law, so people from out-of -state may have no use for this degree. And maybe the same for the Physical Therapist Assistant degree. It would probably only satisfy the requirements to work in Texas. But, take a look at it for yourselves. - justfoundout

Type: Associate in Applied Science Degree Program
Name: Physical Therapist Assistant$
http://www.tccd.e...p?dpid=218

Type: Associate in Applied Science Degree Program
Name: Criminal Justice
http://www.tccd.e...p?dpid=153
Edited by justfoundout on December 05 2008 01:30 AM

Eeyorevmm
#5 Print Post
Posted on August 24 2008 01:08 AM

wwwrockvalley.edu it waives its a 2 year college it waives math for some of its certificate programs

justfoundout
#6 Print Post
Posted on August 24 2008 04:36 PM

8/24/08
Thanks Eeyorevmm,
We'll keep this info. I'm going to take the weblink you've given us and make it pop up automatically. Was that link supposed to be for Rockvalley College in Rockvalley, Illinois?
[url]www.rockvalleycollege.edu [/url]
When you want to do this, here on the forum, just highlight the weblink and click the blue button that says "url". This makes it easier for others to just click on the link that you've given, instead of having to open another browser and paste it there. Someone had to tell me this when I was new to the forum, too.
- justfoundout
Edited by justfoundout on August 24 2008 04:40 PM

AnimalHugger
#7 Print Post
Posted on December 05 2008 12:31 AM

Justfoundout,

This is such a great idea!

What a wonderful way to collect colleges that dyscalculics can look into!

My parents are thinking that I probably can't graduate from High School with my math scores as they are. I would hate being a year behind, but to keep myself from that, I'd have to get as caught up as possible in math - and find a university that would understand my issues. I sincerely hope that this is possible....

What state is rock valley college in?

Where did all the dyscalculics on this fourm go to school?

And how do you find out if a college will waive courses?

More people must have information to share!

AnimalHugger
I'm NOT stupid!!!!!

twistedxkiss
#8 Print Post
Posted on December 10 2008 07:22 PM

The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor may or may not waive math, HOWEVER, if you are opting for a program in the school of Literature, Science, and the Arts (most majors), you can get away with having NO MATH REQUIREMENT WHATSOEVER so long as your specific program doesn't require it beyond gen ed--disabled or not. According to Susan L. TePaske-King, an admissions adviser there who will be kept to her word. Pfft

For the LSA, there are two places where you could conceivably take math classes, for the Quantitative Reasoning requirement, and for the area distribution. For quantitative reasoning, you CAN take stats, but they also offer the following alternatives to all students: astronomy, chemistry, physics, communication, economics, environmental studies, and sociology. Some of those would still be tough for a dyscalculic, but some would definitely be manageable. They also say they accommodate those with medically documented learning disabilities, so in theory you would get supports.

As for the area distribution, they say you need 30 credits spanned across the following 5 categories, outside of your area of concentration: Natural Science, Social Science, Humanities, Creative Expression, Math and Symbolic Analysis. According to Susan L. TePaske-King, you don't have to take courses from each area, and if I wanted to I could just get my credits in the other categories.

I won't give details about her messages since this is public, however, judging from her tone in the last email, by my perceptions, she seemed quite sure of herself on this.

I will add the rest of the info that is asked for in this thread later. For the time being, their website is www.umich.edu. You must have a 3.0 college GPA to transfer, but the average admitted transfer has a 3.6. A tall order, however I am dyscalculic and still a strong candidate to get in. So it can be done. This is a VERY good university in a wonderful area, so this is just great news.

EDIT

(1) Contact info: http://www.umich....act_us.php
(2) As long as your degree doesn't require them, you can avoid them in gen ed for the school of Literature Science and the Arts. http://www.lsa.um.../lsa/depts
(3) Ann Arbor, Michigan. There is also a commuter campus in Dearborn, but they may have different requirements.
(4) 4 year college
(5) www.umich.edu
(6) You cannot transfer more than 60 credits. I believe the number you must earn there is 120, but your limit is definitely 60.
Edited by twistedxkiss on December 10 2008 07:35 PM

twistedxkiss
#9 Print Post
Posted on December 10 2008 07:37 PM

AnimalHugger wrote:
Justfoundout,

My parents are thinking that I probably can't graduate from High School with my math scores as they are. I would hate being a year behind, but to keep myself from that, I'd have to get as caught up as possible in math - and find a university that would understand my issues. I sincerely hope that this is possible....

AnimalHugger

You can talk to the advisers at the school, find them on the school's website. They are often vague about how exactly they will "accommodate," but you can press them on that. If it's a local college, an in person appointment may meet less resistance. Colleges can be buttholes about it, but you have the upper hand, believe it or not. As for trying to catch up, if you need any help, let me know.
Edited by twistedxkiss on December 10 2008 07:39 PM

lindseyr4
#10 Print Post
Posted on January 19 2009 09:05 PM

Hello! I am so glad to have found this site. I wish I would have known about it long ago. I am a college student and have met all the requirements needed for my BS in social work, well except for math. I have given the university all the necessary documentation needed for a math accommodation. As of Friday I have been told that the suitable substitution they see fit for my math is math. I was just wandering if this has happened to anyone else and if so how did you handle it.
Thank you!

AnimalHugger
#11 Print Post
Posted on January 20 2009 04:55 PM

TwistedxKiss wrote:
AnimalHugger wrote:
Justfoundout,

AnimalHugger

You can talk to the advisers at the school, find them on the school's website. They are often vague about how exactly they will "accommodate," but you can press them on that. If it's a local college, an in person appointment may meet less resistance. Colleges can be buttholes about it, but you have the upper hand, believe it or not. As for trying to catch up, if you need any help, let me know.

Thanks, TwistedKiss! Smile I'll keep that advice when I start to college search (which will hopefully be in a couple of months). And, yes, I am very behind in math, but I have no idea how to catch up without staying in school an extra year. URG! It is very annoying...My parents want me to master the basics (the times tables, etc.) but we've been trying that for years...I want them to allow me a calculator and then go ahead and take algebra (again!), even if I only earn a C. But they don't agree, and my official reccomendations from the tester haven't come in yet (I'm homeschooled, by the way).

Also, for those who read My Thirteenth Winter, the girl in the book went to a college called Mount Holyoke, which I think is in Maryland. And they gave her accomadations, so I think that is a good option for colleges, too. Especially since one of their alumni wrote a famous book about dyscalculia...They should be helpful, no?
I'm NOT stupid!!!!!

justfoundout
#12 Print Post
Posted on January 24 2009 02:09 AM

1-23-09
If anyone wants to Google the college of the young woman who wrote My Thirteenth Winter, just type in these words on the Google search: mount holyoke college dyscalculia

What I found was a posting on our own forum, put there by our Admin in 2005,... and no one has posted a single comment.Shock Let's all go read it at:
http://www.dyscal...icle_id=37

Apparently, this college is in Massachusetts. This was on Google:
http://www.mtholy...
Mount Holyoke College 50 College Street South Hadley, Massachusetts 01075. To contact the College, call 413-538-2000

This is the number they give for their disability services: (413)538-2550
And here's a link to the pdf application document for disabilities:
www.mtholyoke.edu...DSForm.doc
If someone gets recent info on this college, please bring it back here. Thanks. - justfoundout
Edited by justfoundout on January 24 2009 02:18 AM

Hazel
#13 Print Post
Posted on May 14 2009 04:39 PM

The Evergreen State College, www.evergreen.edu, in Olympia, WA.

This is a state college and is quite affordable once you establish residency. It is probably the one place a math-disabled person could get a science degree nonetheless a BA or a Master's. The theater program focuses on the avant garde (so no productions of Oklahoma), there is a burgeoning animation program, arts program, public administration program, political science, Grin and even physics. And all the classes and inter-disciplinary so you don't take single classes, you take one or two programs, and they break it down for you on your transcripts.

The one proviso is you need to be VERY self-disciplined to work in a place with no grades. No grades mean if you don't do the work you get no or less credits. It's all or nothing. You will be writing a lot and working with professors on a first name basis. There are very few TA's and all the classes are required to spend much of your time questioning everything you ever learned in writing and in seminar. So if you don't like conflict or challenging your view of the world, this might not be your cup of tea.

I recommend it for the lovely campus and town, great student centered focus, and open learning environment.

http://hazelthorne.etsy.com
justfoundout
#14 Print Post
Posted on May 14 2009 05:56 PM

5/14/09
Dear Hazel,
Thanks so much for posting on this Thread. And it's nice to see you again. Should I summize that you've been attending The Evergreen State College? That's great to know that, as you've said, "It is probably the one place a math-disabled person could get a science degree nonetheless a BA or a Master's." Because it's better for us to have ONE place to get these degrees than NO place to get these degrees. While re-locating to get into this college could be a 'challenge', sitting in one place, stifled and unappreciated, is simply 'suffocating'.

May I ask, what is "There are very few TA's..."?

Thanks again. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on May 14 2009 06:01 PM

cahractereducation
#15 Print Post
Posted on May 22 2009 07:34 AM

Well done Azel. Very nice thread. I really like your thread.
Character Education | Character Education Programs

http://www.iamgoingtocollege.com/
justfoundout
#16 Print Post
Posted on May 22 2009 08:10 PM

5/22/09
Dear cahractereducation,
Glad you like the Thread. (I started it! Wink ) - jus'

justfoundout
#17 Print Post
Posted on May 27 2009 12:20 AM

5/26/09
Dear lildumb,
I don't know off-hand of any in Melbourne, but I'll keep my eyes open. When we see a member from Australia posting in the next few days, let's send them here to 'debrief' them, okay? Are you asking for this infor for yourself, or to help someone else? - jus'

i_love_my_ducatis
#18 Print Post
Posted on August 13 2009 08:09 PM

University of Oregon, Bachelor of Arts option.
This requires a language option instead of the Bachelor of Science Math option.

justfoundout
#19 Print Post
Posted on August 13 2009 09:30 PM

8/13/09
Wow, ducatis, that's great information. If I'd lived at the time of the Tower of Babel, I'm sure I would have been one of the world's first interpreters,... so a college that will replace Math with a Language!... How fast can I become an Oregon resident? - jus'

Chadzilla
#20 Print Post
Posted on August 30 2009 03:46 PM

At the request of justfoundout here is some additional information I have on Evergreen State College:

Chadzilla wrote:
I've decided I want to Major in Creative Writing and Minor in Technical Writing. Writings has always been something I was good at (although this post will probably suck since it's 3:40 AM), English is possibly my strongest subject. I'm currently going to school at a Community College to collect credits in order to transfer to Evergreen State College which I know have no problem waivering Math for students with Dyscalculia. The thing is I don't believe their curriculum is actually focused on obtaining a Major or Minor degree in anything, not that that's necessarily a bad thing, it seems that the College has a nice reputation so the degrees they do offer must be worthwhile. The purpose of this thread is to just see what kind of options there are for a Dyscalculic student who wishes to focus on writing as their career.

It appears that at this school you enroll in specific areas of study as opposed to enrolling in different courses which may or may not have anything to do with what your educational goals are.

Jump to Forum: