Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 3

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,048
· Newest Member: Nicki Holmes

View Thread

Print Thread
odd, somewhat funny conversation
reverend blamo
#1 Print Post
Posted on September 07 2008 11:59 PM

A few co-workers and I were hanging about, one was talking about his son having Asperger's and stated "We still don't know what he is good at yet" (because apparently every autistic person has some circus performing skill ala Rainman)
A quick witted friend replied "Maybe he's good at being autistic"Shock
"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
Elvis Costello

justfoundout
#2 Print Post
Posted on September 08 2008 01:34 AM

9/7/08
Poor guy. Couldn't you cheer him up?
- justfoundout

reverend blamo
#3 Print Post
Posted on September 12 2008 02:19 AM

I probly didn't explain well (not very good at relating humor)
People have this stereotype that all autistic people have some sort of odd skill, like the guy in "rainman". Well this guy figured his kid MUST have some sort of talent, a parlor trick to entertain normal people (hey, this guy can tell you what day of week you were born!)
Yes, some do, but I also know of people who can now do complicated math a side effect of a brain injury.
Elvis Costello

justfoundout
#4 Print Post
Posted on September 12 2008 12:10 PM

9/12/08
Dear Blamo,
Oh, okay. Now I get it, and I laughed.
- justfoundout

evie dee
#5 Print Post
Posted on September 12 2008 01:17 PM

reverend blamo wrote:
I probly didn't explain well (not very good at relating humor)
People have this stereotype that all autistic people have some sort of odd skill, like the guy in "rainman". Well this guy figured his kid MUST have some sort of talent, a parlor trick to entertain normal people (hey, this guy can tell you what day of week you were born!)
Yes, some do, but I also know of people who can now do complicated math a side effect of a brain injury.

That's true.

http://myspace.com/evie_dee
reverend blamo
#6 Print Post
Posted on September 12 2008 07:04 PM

I guess what annoys me (and my intelligent, quick witted friend) is thinking everyone with Asperger has the ability to play perfect violin, count cards or some such crap.

Elvis Costello

Toe_Nail
#7 Print Post
Posted on September 12 2008 09:16 PM

Yeah it annoys the heck out of me too when people say that everyone with Asperger has some kind of a gift. The same with people that think everyone with dyslexia (or insert whatever LD) has the potential to be a genius just because Einstein apparently had an LD. That's annoying because that's just not true and it continues to spread misconceptions about Asperger or LDs.

It can also be harmful, in my opinion - What if someone with Asperger doesn't have an extraordinary talent like Rain Man but believes that he/she should? What if someone with an LD doesn't have a mind like Einstein but believes that he/she should?

The fact is Kim Peek, the man who inspired Rain Man's main movie caracter has Savant syndrome which, is actually rare.

See: Savant syndrome Wikipedia and Wisconsin Medical Society Savant syndrome FAQ and read its What is "autism"? What is the relationship of savant syndrome to autism? article.

I don't see anything funny with what your friends have said. Misconceptions are bad, but spreading them is even worst. I'm sorry but this infuriates me. You should tell your friend (yes the one with the Aspie child) to get properly informed and educated if he doesn't want his kid to turn-out with poor self-esteem when he grows up because he "hasn't found what he's good at yet"
Edited by Toe_Nail on September 12 2008 11:24 PM
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer -- Albert Einstein

reverend blamo
#8 Print Post
Posted on September 13 2008 12:02 PM

Absolutely, exactly what I feel. I should clarify however that the guy with the Aspie kid was a co-worker at my last job (the one I boffed) , not a bad guy, but not really a friend either. He has plenty of problems himself. The guy who made the comment is a freind of mine who worked with me in a residental treatment program and understands autism. His comment was an ironic way of illiustrating the father's asumption. He certainly was not trying to be mean. He feels as I do about things like this and how some people treat or look at others.
Elvis Costello

cruachan
#9 Print Post
Posted on November 12 2008 04:08 PM

:rolleyes:
As you know, I have Aspergers as well as dc and I'm not good at anything. Not even close to good. Just another completely worthless piece of junk. And I'm deeply offended when people say "oh, you're autistic, you must be pretty smart, so cool" or something like that. Yes, I like being who I am, and autism is a part of me, BUT that does not mean that I'm smart or cool.
Geez.
-----
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
-----

http://weirdsanctuary.blogspot.com
reverend blamo
#10 Print Post
Posted on November 13 2008 12:01 AM

I am sure you are good at many things. I assume you just mean you can't do goofy tricks or count cards.
Elvis Costello

evie dee
#11 Print Post
Posted on November 13 2008 05:45 PM

cruachan wrote:
:rolleyes:
As you know, I have Aspergers as well as dc and I'm not good at anything. Not even close to good. Just another completely worthless piece of junk. And I'm deeply offended when people say "oh, you're autistic, you must be pretty smart, so cool" or something like that. Yes, I like being who I am, and autism is a part of me, BUT that does not mean that I'm smart or cool.
Geez.

I'm sure that you're good at something.
I'm good at knitting and crocheting-I just picked it up. I even started a business because of it.
Everyone has a talent. You'll find yours in no time!

http://myspace.com/evie_dee
cruachan
#12 Print Post
Posted on November 23 2008 09:14 PM

evie dee:
Nice of you that you're trying to comfort me, but it's pointless. If I had something worthy inside me, I wouldn't end up here in this forum.
(my worldview: worth = hard science or hacking expertise. end of story.)
-----
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
-----

http://weirdsanctuary.blogspot.com
justfoundout
#13 Print Post
Posted on November 25 2008 05:37 AM

11/24/08
Here's an article entitled "What Gives Meaning to Your Life".
http://www.watcht...cle_01.htm
I've got a headache myself tonight. I'll take a Tylanol and go to bed now. See y'all tomorrow. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on November 25 2008 05:38 AM

Jump to Forum: