Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 6

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,054
· Newest Member: directionallyimpaired

View Thread

Print Thread
Driving - ARG!!!
AnimalHugger
#1 Print Post
Posted on March 26 2009 11:04 PM

Hey Everyone!

I don't know about you, but I have had a lot of trouble learning to drive. I just seem to have such issues with it...

I'm not good with my left and rights...I have to use my hand (the Left hand makes an "L"Wink. So driving and knowing which side is which is impossible! And then, to add to the confusion, I have to remember which way to move the thingy on the car for the left/right turn signal. I can't remember if Left is up or down, and vice-versa! And then I have to remind myself each time which side is the Right side of the road!!!!!!!!

ARG!!!!!!!!!

Sorry - didn't think it would be that hard! But here we are.

Any things that you fellow dyscalculics have found helpful?

AnimalHugger
I'm NOT stupid!!!!!

CheshireKat
#2 Print Post
Posted on March 27 2009 12:42 AM

I didn't actually find driving an automatic to be difficult at all. Now, trying to drive a stick was another beast entirely... but I think it's that way for most people, dyscalculic or not.

I didn't THINK I had a hard time remembering which way to pull the lever for the blinker, because it made sense that I pull or push it in the direction I plan on turning - pull it to the left for left, push it right for right. However, I have been told on many occasions by friends driving behind me that I use the wrong blinker a lot. (That is, I put on my left blinker and turn right, or vice versa.) Oops! Oh well, it doesn't really matter because I almost never use my blinkers anyway. Wink It lets the enemy know what you're planning!

Now, do I think I will EVER be able to drive in Europe, where everything is backwards? Definitely not. The idea of a right on red being the equivalent to an illegal left turn on red at an intersection just blows my mind, as well as trying to drive on the wrong side of the road. I think when I visit Europe next summer I will be using the metro an awful lot!

Speaking of crazy driving, when I went to visit a friend in Montreal, Quebec, I was stunned to find that there were three lanes of traffic in the city - one going either way on the far sides, then one lane in the middle that CHANGES DIRECTION DEPENDING ON THE TIME OF DAY. Who the hell thought that would be a good idea?? We were driving down it and I asked my friend, "What happens if it suddenly changes direction while you're on it?" and she just shrugged and said, "Well, I guess you just better get off it quick!" Definitely not the most comforting of responses as we were driving down said lane.
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

justfoundout
#3 Print Post
Posted on March 27 2009 02:34 AM

3/26/09
Dear Kat,
It let's the enemy know what you're planning? - jus' FrownShockPfft

Mohinga
#4 Print Post
Posted on March 27 2009 06:52 AM

Yes, I have the same issues.
All the other stuff was no problem at all when I was learning to drive, but navigation certainly was.
I prefer the familiar routes and if I try something new, I am bound to get lost.
If there is too much traffic (e.g. in Copenhagen), I get totally confused and panic. My worst fear is to cause an accident.
My dad must have been dyscalculic as well.
He was a very good driver, but couldn't read a map and my mum always had to translate left and right into three o'clock or nine o'clock (and now I can't even write them in the correct order..) or else he would go the wrong way.
We went to England a few times and my dad must have had nightmares about left hand driving - I know I would have - but he managed and I admire him so much for doing it.

AnimalHugger
#5 Print Post
Posted on March 28 2009 03:51 PM

I know, Cat! European driving sounds slightly nutty to me (no offense meant). I can't imagine being in the middle of traffic as the direction changes! Driving is nerve-wracking enough without that!

Mohinga, your dad is a very brave guy! And, yes, I get lost all the time...I barely know the route to my own house. It's pretty sad, actually...

But what really gets me confused is going in reverse...Somehow when I try to maneuver, the car always goes the wrong way! It is so frustrating...

ARG!!!!! And I thought driving was going to be fun...

AnimalHugger
I'm NOT stupid!!!!!

CheshireKat
#6 Print Post
Posted on March 28 2009 07:43 PM

AnimalHugger - I used to get confused when going in reverse too. Just remember to turn the wheel in the direction that you want the BACK of the car to go in. If you want the back of the car to go right, turn the wheel right. It's easier than thinking about, "Okay, I have to turn the wheel in the opposite direction that I want the car to point in..." It becomes a lot easier when you think about it as the direction you want the back of the car moving in.

Also wanted to ask, do you guys have TERRIBLE depth perception like I do? Part of it is that I have not-so-hot eyesight, so my eye's physical ability to perceive depth is poor, but I think the dyscalculia has to do with it too. I have run into or clipped so many things (all inanimate objects, thank God) thinking they were further away than they actually were. Now I just assume that everything is really close, so I end up parking with like 6 feet between me and the car next to me, LOL. Whatever, I haven't hit any cars in over a year, so obviously it's working. Does anyone else have this problem?
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

Lostinspatial
#7 Print Post
Posted on March 29 2009 04:35 PM

I have a hard time with depth perception and my eyesights relatively good. Just Friday, I had to make a right turn & backtrack because I was at a stop sign & would have had to make a left across 4 lanes of traffic. Navigators help (though double check the directions with someone at your destination as they're off sometimes). Writing out directions vs trying to read a map is helpful. Also, get to know which intersections are better for lefts. I prefer the ones with turn arrows. As for backing up, etc. just go very slowly.

NoX81
#8 Print Post
Posted on April 01 2009 02:56 PM

funnily enough i passed my driving test first time and drive fine, in fact its something which i think i'm pretty good at!

Here in the UK we have something called the hazard perception test and i got a good score on that too, one wrong.

I don't struggle with left and right etc., everything for me is numerical. It just goes to show you how many different variants and levels of severity there are and also that traits of other conditions lap sometimes seem to lap over into dyscalculia.

justfoundout
#9 Print Post
Posted on April 01 2009 09:14 PM

4/1/09
I took Driver's Ed in High School. When I took the test, I had to take it in my Dad's full sized new white Cadillac, because it was 'automatic' and it was what I'd been driving. Those were really big cars back then. My father had taught me to drive. He was extremely demanding, especially when it came to parallel parking. I could barely even see what was around me in such a huge car, but he made me 'turn the wheel!' to start backing into the parking place 'way sooner than it seemed like to me that I should start turning the wheel.

Anyway, when I went to take the test, they had two big strong metal posts set up, representing the car in front and the car behind the parking space, and I had to put that big, full sized, Cadillac between them. The official giving me the test was probably trying to keep from laughing. I was 17. When I'd done the maneuver, he opened the door on the passenger's side, and reported that I was inches from the curb, right where I was supposed to be. I was so happy that I forgot to put on the left turn signal before I pulled back out, and got 'counted off' for it. Sad He consoled me that I'd earned more points for parking than I'd lost for forgetting the turn signal. I should have told him that I was trying to 'confuse the enemy' like Kat said that she does. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on April 01 2009 09:18 PM

AnimalHugger
#10 Print Post
Posted on April 08 2009 12:12 AM

Such great replies! I love the stories...Wonder what the driver's instructor would have said if you had told him you were "confusing the enemy", justfoundout?

Anyway - my driving is getting better. I still mess up on turn signals a lot, though.

Probably best not to be on the road when I am! Smile
I'm NOT stupid!!!!!

CheshireKat
#11 Print Post
Posted on April 08 2009 01:44 AM

justfoundout wrote:
He consoled me that I'd earned more points for parking than I'd lost for forgetting the turn signal. I should have told him that I was trying to 'confuse the enemy' like Kat said that she does. - jus'

I'm telling you, it's a perfectly legitimate excuse to not use your blinkers! Pfft I feel your pain about the huge car thing though, I love my car because it is teeny tiny and I can fit it into any space. I drove my mom's boss's Expedition once, and that thing was so wide and high up off the ground that I honestly felt like I was navigating a Boeing 747.

Germ
#12 Print Post
Posted on April 08 2009 11:45 AM

I never had a problem driving forwards or backwards BUT stick a trailer on the back of the vehicle and I'm stumped.I worked on a family friends farm between leaving school and joining the army and over the 6 months working there I never got the hang of reversing a tractor with anything attached to the back.
No man is an Island, entire of itself;....we can all be invaded if we don't have secure borders Wink

CheshireKat
#13 Print Post
Posted on April 08 2009 03:49 PM

Germ - I've never been able to work out how to back a trailer either! Growing up I was in 4H with one of my best friends, and I will never forget the day her mom backed a gigantic twelve-horse trailer all the way around their house, between trees, around the corner of her drive... it was amazing. To this day I still have absolutely no idea how she could maneuver such a huge trailer in back of her truck, but she did it perfectly. If they had trailer-backing Olympics, it would be USA all the way, because she'd take the gold for sure.

Lostinspatial
#14 Print Post
Posted on April 16 2009 05:27 PM

Also, re: backing up, if the expense isn't too much of an issue, one of my friends has a car with a camera that shows you what's behind the car (it displays on the navigation screen). I rarely covet my friends' autos/features, but that is one I definitely want! Smile

Kathy
#15 Print Post
Posted on April 16 2009 11:24 PM

Hi all,

My husband and I are having a great time laughing at your responses! and we would just like to say nothing wrong with driving on the left!! my driving is what I would consider- "nervous"-always! I use to have a little Green VW called Alexander Beetle and on the back I had many a dent and on top of the dents were stickers & bandaids the stickers said such as "oops" - "ouch" -"that one hurt" etc - needless to say people gave me a wide berth on the roads!. Most memorable moment going up a one lane bus exit and squeezing between two buses - both drivers were looking down on me as I scraped between them. - Good times!
Cheers
kathySmile

Albert Einstein said: "Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count!."

HouseMDfan110
#16 Print Post
Posted on April 17 2009 12:21 AM

What I have found to help is to go slow. Doesn't matter about the people driving behind you as they can overtake or whatever. Patience is a virtue. Being uncoordinated, I struggle with keeping my eyes on the road, checking the rear-view mirror, indicating, watching the speed limit, which are all things you have to do at the same time. I just go slow, and when I feel comfortable enough, I go a little bit faster, which is so cool. Oh, and as for reversing, it's hard at the start cause you have to turn the wheel left in order to go right, and the other way round.

I guess the longer you've been driving, the more confident you feel. You get used to it!

HouseMDfan110
#17 Print Post
Posted on April 17 2009 12:26 AM

Oh, and two more things. If you're like me, seriously consider a GPS.

The second thing I have forgotten. Damn, it was really important too. If/ when I remember it, I will let you know.

twilightrose333
#18 Print Post
Posted on May 05 2009 10:19 PM

CheshireKat wrote:
AnimalHugger - I used to get confused when going in reverse too. Just remember to turn the wheel in the direction that you want the BACK of the car to go in. If you want the back of the car to go right, turn the wheel right. It's easier than thinking about, "Okay, I have to turn the wheel in the opposite direction that I want the car to point in..." It becomes a lot easier when you think about it as the direction you want the back of the car moving in.

Also wanted to ask, do you guys have TERRIBLE depth perception like I do? Part of it is that I have not-so-hot eyesight, so my eye's physical ability to perceive depth is poor, but I think the dyscalculia has to do with it too. I have run into or clipped so many things (all inanimate objects, thank God) thinking they were further away than they actually were. Now I just assume that everything is really close, so I end up parking with like 6 feet between me and the car next to me, LOL. Whatever, I haven't hit any cars in over a year, so obviously it's working. Does anyone else have this problem?

omg thank you for the advice on backing out,for the first time i backed out without stopping to think or just randomly guessing,lol.yeah only when it comes to parking does my depth perception suck,i either park over the line or way too far away=P.my mom said when park to just look at the left side where the line is and try to match up with that.

meterr
#19 Print Post
Posted on May 20 2009 07:07 AM

I tried drivers ed as a teen and the teacher told me i was driving in the center of the road, but to me, I felt fine. I dont drive at all now, and im 37. Its hard having my husband do all the driving, but Id rather not drive than risk my childrens lives. I do get alot of " OMG Why dont you drive? How can you stand it not driving?"

tr3slunas
#20 Print Post
Posted on May 31 2009 11:53 AM

Driving- I am in the UK and have to pay extra to learn in an automatic as most people drive manual over here- handling gears and the rest of the learning would have been waaay too much for me- I hope to transfer to a manual car when I am completly confident with the automatic.

In terms of driving on the left- I am sure this is part of my Dyscalculia but my perception of the correct way of things is always left to right- perhaps as I learned to read left to right? who knows- but in my screwy mind if you are sitting down and you draw a line going upwards in front of you then curve it and bring it down you will find that going the first line is on the left and the line coming down is on the right- exactly the same way as Uk driving- so in my crazy crazy head the rest of the world is backwards... Sorry for the long probably hard to grasp ramble!!

Jump to Forum: