Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 3

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,048
· Newest Member: Nicki Holmes

View Thread

The Dyscalculia Forum :: Dyscalculia Sub-Types :: Maths Anxiety
 Print Thread
Crying Anxiety
s_hartpoet
#1 Print Post
Posted on March 20 2006 07:06 AM

Testing used to be so rough for me after I took my test I would just cry cry and cry and cry.One test my teacher could barely read cause it had so much from my face on it. I appreciate that it was said anxiety has a source that was comforting. In most of the math classes I have been in tests and exams were 65 percent of the grade, so I always felt my success as a person was on the line. I'm better now I take it slow and laugh.Grin

mermaid23
#2 Print Post
Posted on March 21 2006 07:37 PM

s_hartpoet wrote:
Testing used to be so rough for me after I took my test I would just cry cry and cry and cry.One test my teacher could barely read cause it had so much from my face on it. I appreciate that it was said anxiety has a source that was comforting. In most of the math classes I have been in tests and exams were 65 percent of the grade, so I always felt my success as a person was on the line. I'm better now I take it slow and laugh.Grin

I have pretty severe problems with anxiety! I used to get exam anxiety so badly that I would mis-spell my own name! I would just draw a blank!

I used to cry all of the time, before, during, and after my exams! I would call in sick on test days. I woud lock myself in the bathroom for hours when I was a kid. I used to skip school all of the time as well. I was so unbelievable anxious about it!

It really helped to be able to write exams on my own terms when I got to university. I got my own room, extra time and someone to help me with any questions that I had. It was much better!

http://mermaid23.livejournal.com/profile
sian
#3 Print Post
Posted on March 23 2006 04:25 PM

My maths tutor used to say I had a maths stutter because my mind goes blank and I blurt out random numbersin panic.

I cannot stand that feeling when you are in front of someone and someone asks you a maths related question that other people would be able to work out.Its so embarrassing.

sian xxx
Teacher with dyscalculia

s_hartpoet
#4 Print Post
Posted on March 25 2006 04:29 AM

We were going over SAT pratice in class and we only had a few minutes in class to complete about 10 math problems. I hate math problem that are really wordy because you don't know where to begin. I did not finish in time and my teacher was not brilliant at math either so he asked a student how she figured a problem out and she said, "Oh that's easy, such and such just makes such and such its like baby math." I had struggled with that problem and I felt discouraged. There were many people in class who were waiving their hands to do a problem on the board and all I could do was sit and watch. I was too embarassed to ask the kid who was doing the problem a question. It seems to be much different now. Maybe its the freedom of talking here or just being tired of feeling bad for myself but now I'll ask anyone for help. I start by saying, "I don't know if I've told you but I have a learning difference and math isn't my thing can you help me." Like I've said if you make it a taboo thing others will treat it that way, if you accept yourself and how you process information, others will.

Fefifofirisbobiris
#5 Print Post
Posted on April 01 2006 02:54 PM

I have pretty severe problems with anxiety! I used to get exam anxiety so badly that I would mis-spell my own name!

I DO THAT. In fact, I do that way more often than I should.. -.- *ponder*.
D y s le x i c s // U n t i e ! !

elle
#6 Print Post
Posted on June 27 2006 06:34 PM

ah memories...i distinctly remember a time in high school when i was home trying to do my algebra II homework. as usual, i had been working on it for hours and i just couldn't get it! i think i had taken to yelling outloud at my textbook! Shock alone in my room, in tears, i yelled some expletive at the book as i grabbed it by the pages (ripped one) and threw it and the calculator against the wall. the calculator split in half! after i calmed down, i taped the ripped page and i was able to snap the calculator right back together. i still have it to this day and it works! note to all dyscalculics: texas instruments makes calculators that can take a beating! Grin
Edited by elle on June 27 2006 06:41 PM

Bubble
#7 Print Post
Posted on June 27 2006 07:15 PM

oh god i know exactly what you mean. I used to get so frustrated in maths class, i would sit there with a blinding headached, almost in tears. I finally took to hiding in the toilets and just avoiding the class altogether!

Elle: thanx for the tip about Texas instruments calculators! Good to know SmileSmile
bubble
(Katie) Wink

Be different, it suits you

marsgogo
#8 Print Post
Posted on July 18 2006 07:12 PM

I totally know what you guys all mean. After getting into college I had to do an assessment test. In the verbal/reading aspect I passed with flying colors, I've always been great in with those subjects. However, knowing my disadvantage with math I decided to look up study guides and work on them. I found them and studied with them for hours each day for as long as I possibly could for a month leading up to the test. Everyday the reason I would stop studying was because I couldn't see anymore. I would cry and cry until my eyes were puffy and red.

When I was younger I would cry and scream and call other people stupid, then myself and eventually end up throwing my home work, books, papers even pencils all over the place in a fit.

When I got the result of my math asses. test it revealed I had to begin college math at a remedial level in a class that I had basically already taken three times in high school. However my fits are much better now, but here I am again second year of college taking the same remedial algebra class for the second time... crying after tests.

Laura
#9 Print Post
Posted on December 03 2006 06:21 PM

That is so me. I just get so frustrtaed with not being able to do something that the best way i know how to calm myself down is by either throwing my books, swearing, screaming if no-one else is around. I use to have this head banging thing going on when i was 6 years old as i just couldn't vent my anger any other way. However now i am a lot better. Like Marsgogo i tend to cry over even the littleiset thing i cannot do in maths. However when i was at school i use to be a music geek and i use to go in there and bang on the drums or even the persussion instruments and that helped. Talking now helps too, my old teacher from another subject use to just sit and listen to me when i was like that, she just use to say let's hear it then. It was cool as it was like i had my own personal agony aunt sitting waiting for me. But i do prefer no-one to even talk to me when i am like that as i at times will bit there heads off- so they all stay away from me until i am calmer

Murex
#10 Print Post
Posted on August 28 2007 04:01 AM

No no no, do not beat your calculator. The calculator is our friend. It does all kinds of bothersome math so that we do not have to!

not stupid
#11 Print Post
Posted on December 09 2007 03:34 AM

I've been thinking about my early days in school and it makes me sick just thinking of that time.
Maths test ! the very words filled me with dread and the result was always pointless. For me the test had been a waste of paper. add subtract multiply divide simply did not mean anything, the inside of my head was as blank as the paper.
If primary school math was a problem then worse was to come. Algebra geometry etc all went straight over my understanding and teachers either did not comprehend the problem or just assumed that you just have to be thick or as on one occassion being told that I was doing it delberatley ! er pardon.If that wasn't enough to make anxiety worse then the attitude of those in the class certainly did. As i have said Anxiety does still raise its head.Application for employment these days more often than not includes some test to math aptitude and leaves me totally wound up in nerves.

AnimalHugger
#12 Print Post
Posted on May 24 2008 12:43 PM

I understand your pain...I go through the exact same thing. I ALWAYS cry - and so dread taking tests in front of people. I can't help it - I get so worried that I feel like I'm going to explode. And then, my hands start to sweat and shake, and I can't remember anything...And everybody is staring at me...And the math teacher comes over and gives me a hint and I feel like an idiot....ANd I go completely blank...And then when I get home, I throw my math book as hard as I can on the floor. Yup, all sounds familiar. How can you conquer this?

justfoundout
#13 Print Post
Posted on September 01 2008 12:49 AM

8/31/08
Dear Elle,
I worked for Texas Instruments doing customer service. Calculators with broken screens get 'zip' on returns. Lots of people DO break them, though it's true that it takes quite a blow. Glad yours didn't break. And those things are expensive. - justfoundout

justfoundout
#14 Print Post
Posted on September 01 2008 01:23 AM

8/31/08
Dear AnimalHugger,
Excuse me,... I'm just trying to understand. I probably 'missed something'. I know that you are (or were) being 'home schooled'. Were the (above) math tests before you started being 'home schooled', or have you gone back to regular schooling now? - justfoundout

AnimalHugger
#15 Print Post
Posted on September 19 2008 01:25 PM

Dear Justfoundout,

Well, this happened when I was in public school - but, no, I'm being homeschooled right now. I still get angry and cry over tests - but at least a whole classroom is not staring at me, so it is a bit better.

AnimalHugger
I'm NOT stupid!!!!!

thespazzgirl
#16 Print Post
Posted on September 21 2008 01:30 AM

When I was in elementary school and when we were learning division, I would be so frustrated with the homework that I would start crying so hard I'd just about throw up. It's not so bad now, but I've had my share of anxiety during homework. Right now, I'm in high school and we're doing something to do with algebra and I just don't get it, so sometimes I just have a meltdown and start bawling. I totally get what you guys mean!

goingoncrazy
#17 Print Post
Posted on September 25 2011 06:23 AM

Testing is always become so embarrassing usually when i had no idea what to do.I cannot stand that feeling when you are in front of someone and someone asks you a maths related question that other people would be able to work out.Its so embarrassing.

squeakymonster
#18 Print Post
Posted on September 25 2011 01:58 PM

Oh, math tests! How I wish they were banned under a constitutional amendment against cruel and unusual punishment. I usually just start shaking uncontrollably. I hate everything to do with math. I freeze up. Before I was diagnosed as having dyscalculia, I was diagnosed as having math anxiety. Now we know why! Hey, my former math teachers, guess what? The math anxiety YOU never picked up on, but someone at the university did, the fact I was so far behind that I have a 3rd grade math level, after teaching myself a few math things, guess what, it's a LEARNING DISABILITY that YOU missed all these years! Maybe the kid freaking out at the thought of a test in your class should be treated with some extra help and understanding, not being made fun of. There could be real issues that you are overlooking!

*Getting off Soapbox now*
Edited by squeakymonster on September 25 2011 07:42 PM
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

justfoundout
#19 Print Post
Posted on September 25 2011 03:34 PM

9/25/11
Ditto on that. How could the college system have let me take the same Elementary Algebra course three times, failing it every time, and yet no 'alarms' go off saying to send this student to the Disability Office for a consultation? I'd even asked the Dean of the Disability Services if there was any other way for me to get those math credits, and all I got was a wane smile and a slow shake 'no' of the head from him.

Squeaky, you've spelled a different word from what you meant to put in your above post, but it's so cute as it is, that it will be sad to see you change it. The word for really, really 'mean' is spelled 'cruel'. The word 'crewel' is a type of embroidery stitching. But I do think, as you've said, that math tests are 'crewel and unusual punishment'. <hehehe> - jus'
http://en.wikiped...embroidery

squeakymonster
#20 Print Post
Posted on September 25 2011 07:42 PM

Jus', can you tell I was working on a quilt for my niece? lol Yes, I did change it, as "punny" as it is.
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

Jump to Forum: