Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 9

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
i hate dancing, aperntly this is linked to dyscalculia
Addy
#21 Print Post
Posted on November 10 2009 07:22 AM

Arwen Evenstar wrote:
Addy-you've taken belly dance too? Yay! What style? I prefer tribal/cabaret fusion, but cabaret is my main background. I can't resist shiny things haha!

Hey, I didn't see this when it first posted.

I've only had one belly dance lesson. I think it was somewhat tribal, but the dancer who taught us studied primarily with someone from Egypt, I think, so I could be wrong about that.
squidoo.com/mathld
squidoo.com/writi...
squidoo.com/LDsid...
www.AddaptAbiliti...
www.wellorderedch...

www.addaptabilities.com
Kyla Dilla
#22 Print Post
Posted on November 10 2009 03:27 PM

Owh dancing! I am awful at it, my friends ended up laughing until their tummy hurts (i was trying to dance one of the DBSK dance moves. its a popular korean boy band group) But I enjoyed the whole laughing session though.

I like watching people dance though. Looks fun! I occasionally try to secretly dance when people dont see xD Dancing is fun, its just that I cant dance.

Hi Sops Smile

I did martial arts, and yup had a lot of trouble with forms. The minute my instructor asks us to face another direction, I am already lost (I associate left and right with objects I can see. So making me face another way is a total horror, it changed the whole orientation)

apparently I dont have the "flow" like those who are able to do ballet to do my forms. Always stiff. I train heavily on technique, that explains why.

however I am much better at sparring.

Vecis
#23 Print Post
Posted on November 10 2009 04:35 PM

I hate dancing also because I cant learn the steps right, so I only dance when I am drunk.

sops
#24 Print Post
Posted on November 11 2009 05:39 AM

justfoundout wrote:
Hi sops,
Do you think that you have a problem with 'learning sequences'? I very forgetful of sequences and procedures myself. Please go ahead and open a Thread and post on Introductions for us, as well. Welcome. - jus'

I do believe so as anything that involves sequences will make me confused. What more those that involves numbers? I remembered doing structural mechanics for a civil engineering major (of which I quit after a year).I know the big picture for momment is to make sure the value for all sides balance on a fixed point. However, I ALWAYS get the steps wrong and misplace the numbers. I felt hopeless as even though I studied and managed to churn out 2 pages of calculations, the whole thing was wrong after the first step.

to Kyla: Yep, I'm better at sparring too! I totally gave up on forms and my current martial art let us choose if we want to focus on forms or sparring. I didn't go for grading much either.

As for dancing, well, yeah, I like to let myself loose with the music at times! Being a music lover (back in college I used to perform in a band), I like how the rhythm moves you. Able to keep in rhythm, but my movements were way off! As the bassist in my band, I just headbanged or jump up and down. But then again, gigs and concerts are good! Nobody cares how you dance in the mosh pit as long as you're having fun! Maybe we all can do that to save our faces. Any dancing in the clubs or for formal event is a no no for me though.

justfoundout
#25 Print Post
Posted on November 11 2009 06:21 AM

11/11/09
Dear sops,
Yeah, there's nothing like having a whole page of wrong calculations that aren't good for anything except maybe to use as giftwrapping? - jus'

Addy
#26 Print Post
Posted on November 11 2009 07:30 AM

Does anyone else have problems with work-out videos? I can tell my left from my right as long as it's simple, but when I'm told to do a "left side lunge" and they assume that I know which knee I'm bending ... gah.
squidoo.com/mathld
squidoo.com/writi...
squidoo.com/LDsid...
www.AddaptAbiliti...
www.wellorderedch...

www.addaptabilities.com
FeatherQuill
#27 Print Post
Posted on November 11 2009 11:44 AM

I was the tomboy among a group of fairly girly friends pink this and that! Wow so much pink.

For some reason being a female child it seemed to be required for me to learn dance steps from magazines (dancing for me was jumping on the bed, I'm definanly getting a trampaline when I'm older) Really I would willingly play audince even though they seemed to voice concerns that I wasn't joining in. Pfft Life isn't completly a group sport I think.

I just couldn't do it nor do I think even if I had the ability would I enjoy it I'm a sit and watch sorta person maybe why I enjoy art... and TV Pfft

moonagedaydream
#28 Print Post
Posted on November 13 2009 03:20 AM

Though I could never do a choreographed routine for the life of me, I wouldn't say I'm terrible at dancing. I just belong to the Mick Jagger school of thought: let the music take you away. I don't care if I look stupid, because at least I'm enjoying myself.

That's what music is about, to me.

RottieWoman
#29 Print Post
Posted on November 13 2009 05:07 AM

have never used workout videos but when working w/a martial arts partner or trying to follow steps in group exercise class at club, I have much difficulty as I have spatial orientation and sequencing issues and find it hard to imitate physical patterns in space even my eyes see them. I do much worse auditorily so I am a very visual learner but still do have difficulty. I started Tai Chi about 5 years ago and it took me about a year or two to learn the first portion of what is a longer form, such that I could do that sequence - just the one part of it - myself. I can copy the rest of it now when I am working w/someone but so far haven't managed to do the entire form on my own.

Nissa
#30 Print Post
Posted on December 09 2009 06:31 AM

Addy wrote:
Does anyone else have problems with work-out videos? I can tell my left from my right as long as it's simple, but when I'm told to do a "left side lunge" and they assume that I know which knee I'm bending ... gah.

I have the same trouble. It's especially confusing, because when some instructors say "left" they mean their left, but other instructors mean my left. I keep thinking that I ought to get a couple of sticky notes and write "left" and "right" on them, so I can stick one on each side of my T.V. when I work out, but I haven't gotten around to it yet

Arwen Evenstar
#31 Print Post
Posted on December 09 2009 07:12 AM

You know, in dance class tonight I noticed something: when we switch off from saying going "hit right hip forward, back, forward step, hit left hip forward back forward step" into the pivot step: "pivot shift step on right, pivot shift step on the left", I have a hard time transitioning.

No idea if it's related to my dyscalculia, but it's interesting. I usually have to practice new steps, combinations, and transitions until I get it right, otherwise my brain flails.

justfoundout
#32 Print Post
Posted on December 09 2009 04:22 PM

12/9/09
Yes, Arwen Evenstar, I do believe that this is 'related to dyscalculia'. I had that same problem, especially when we were taught 'folk dances' in my Junior High and High School Physical Education classes. There was a time that, in our huge gym, with varnished wooden floors, both P.E. teachers would combine their 'girls' classes, and we would form a huge circle in the middle of the room. Sometimes, the folk dances were circle dances, and sometimes we were 'paired up' with another girl. In those cases, there would be 'kick step', 'cross over the other person', 'step across to the left, step across to the right', 'both people move a few steps to the right then to the left', and of course, all done with the 'fun' ethnic music playing, and sometimes with words, too. We got graded on this! And, I had a very hard time, not because I couldn't dance (I was 'on pointe', doing classical ballet during this same time in my life.), but because I couldn't remember the sequences of the steps in the folk dances. Just like you, it took me a lot of practice before I could remember it well enough to perform it. I really needed some 'down time' to learn it. By this, I mean that I couldn't learn it while I was doing it. If I could have studied the steps written out on paper and then, after studying the sequence of the steps on paper, had some practice at doing it, that would have been the best way for me to learn it. But that wasn't the way it was taught. There was nothing in writing, and there were probably four or five dances that we were supposed to keep straight, all at the same time. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on December 09 2009 04:28 PM

CheshireKat
#33 Print Post
Posted on December 09 2009 05:46 PM

Wow, I feel bad for everyone who had to do dance in their gym classes. The closest thing we ever got to dance at my school was we would all get in line and do the Cha Cha Slide. That one is pretty easy to remember, since the instructions are in the song. Wink We also did the electric slide and the macarena, but that was about as much "dancing" as we ever did.
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

RottieWoman
#34 Print Post
Posted on December 09 2009 06:16 PM

'jus, you and I had the same experience maybe w/the dance classes in gym! I was pulled aside I don't know HOW often, and the teacher or another student attempted to work with me, but I had terrible time w/the physical and visual pattern of sequence; oral instruction was of little use.

RottieWoman
#35 Print Post
Posted on December 09 2009 06:21 PM

and yes, we were graded on it! And I remember being forced to play that "bombartle" <sp - just remember how it sounded when we kids said it>, where there are teams <ugh!> and the goal is that you avoid the ball thrown at you, while also being able to accurately target another student when it was your turn. Well, the students who were good at it and/or who were popular did just fine; the students like me - who were neither good at it nor popular - did terribly, in no small part because the other students would throw the ball to HURT, not just to play a game. And of course, there was the usual verbal bullying-

justfoundout
#36 Print Post
Posted on December 09 2009 07:07 PM

12/9/09
Hi, RottieWoman. Yes, as I recall, I remembered just enough to 'avert disaster'. Looking back, it must have been a test on the other girls that I would excitedly whisper things like, "What's the name of the dance that goes with that music?", "Is this the one where we have to go under each other's arms?", "How many times do we 'cross over' before we do the 'up and back'?", and so on and so forth. It's a good thing that there were so many girls in that class, so that I didn't 'wear out' any particular girl specifically. I think that people who've had my type of 'memory problem' all their lives learn to 'pick up' on it when there's someone who's just about ready to quit answering any of their questions,... so at that point, if there's no one else to ask, that's when I would just 'bungle on through' as best I could. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on December 09 2009 07:08 PM

Arwen Evenstar
#37 Print Post
Posted on December 10 2009 07:36 AM

Jus-that's horrible that you were graded on it. We had dance in high school, but it was more laid back and more of an actual dance class than "hey, we're getting graded on how well we dance". We had tests, but it was mainly terms like "what is a rond de jambe?"

Writing the steps down on paper helps me out so much in belly dance: I always take meticulous notes and I'll write something like this:
Hit hip right, left, right, step
Hit hip left, right, left, step

I get tangled otherwise-I've got a hard time switching off between my left and my right durings drills. Choreography isn't too bad, as I practice and I'm much more comfortable with improv.

Kestrel6
#38 Print Post
Posted on December 10 2009 06:16 PM

Must admit, music and dancing are one of the few places I don't fit the dyscalc profile; I'm pretty good at both.

But, I can suggest something for everyone: square dancing! Because the caller tells you what to do, so you don't have to learn any sequences, just do what he calls.
Blessed are the PURR in heart!

http://twicetoldtails.googlepages.com
RottieWoman
#39 Print Post
Posted on December 11 2009 06:24 PM

had square dancing as one of the dance sections in my gym class....did badly there, too. My problems w/Left and Right, among others.

But am sure others may do better.

CheshireKat
#40 Print Post
Posted on December 11 2009 06:32 PM

Geez, hearing these horror stories about gym class makes me glad I grew up in generation Y where gym classes were co-ed and nobody was made to dance because it might "put us on the spot" and "hurt our self-esteem". Thank you Bill Clinton for bringing the feelings of children to the forefront of educators so that uncoordinated kids like me didn't have to line dance in gym! All I had to worry about was avoiding getting hit with a ball... a ball that a boy OR a girl could throw at me, because we were never separated. Newsflash: Boys throw harder. A lot harder. I guess there are downfalls to that whole co-ed thing too.
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

Jump to Forum: