Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 9

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
benderelle
#1 Print Post
Posted on July 12 2009 07:43 PM

Wow, I'm surprised to find other people with this same difficulty. I always felt so alone.

When I was in school, I was diagnosed with ADD, called lazy, all kinds of things like that... mostly because of issues that stemmed from dyscalculia.

I wasn't diagnosed until adulthood. By then, I already had a system of self-taught coping skills in place -- I set my cell phone to repeat numbers back to me when I punch them in, I always go over my financial transactions at least twice before finalization, I write down names and addresses.

I actually work with money right now -- kind of a scary thought. However, I've learned to deal with it.

justfoundout
#2 Print Post
Posted on July 12 2009 07:57 PM

7/12/09
Dear Benderelle,
Nice to meet you. Here on Introductions, new arrivals very often sound like someone who has just arrived at their nice, safe, comfy hotel room after a long, difficult journey. It's such a relief to know that we've landed safely, and are now at a place with all the conveniences,... communications media, friends, information, and a 'common language'.

I had a job for 10 years where I 'dealt with money', and the customers were 'in good hands'. I wasn't as fast as the other operators, not even after 10 years, but the rest of the job I knew well enough that I was able to 'keep up'. And knowing that I was an honest person 'looking out for them' made me feel that my slowness wasn't a dis-service to anyone.

How did you find us here? (Not that we were hiding. Wink) - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on July 13 2009 04:56 AM

benderelle
#3 Print Post
Posted on July 12 2009 07:58 PM

I mentioned dyscalculia on my Twitter and I was suddenly friended by the Twitter account for this site!

CheshireKat
#4 Print Post
Posted on July 12 2009 08:04 PM

Hey Benderelle, I'm Kat, welcome to the forum! You'll find a lot of us here who weren't diagnosed until college or beyond, well after we could have been given any help by the public school system. As a result, many of us have done like you and developed our own system of working around our disability.

Anyway, welcome again, we're glad to have you here. Feel free to jump into any and all conversations, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

ert
#5 Print Post
Posted on July 12 2009 09:31 PM

benderelle wrote:
I mentioned dyscalculia on my Twitter and I was suddenly friended by the Twitter account for this site!

Good thing I have a lot of time on my hands (vacation) these days Wink

Welcome to the forum.

http://www.facebook.com/mettechristoffersen
justfoundout
#6 Print Post
Posted on July 13 2009 04:59 AM

7/12/09
Dear Benderelle,
I would have already guessed that it was Ert who found you on Twitter, even without her post! You got 'discovered' on Twitter by the young woman who started this whole forum. Cool, isn't it? - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on July 13 2009 04:59 AM

Kathy
#7 Print Post
Posted on July 13 2009 06:48 AM

Hi Benderelle,

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to hearing from you on this site.
KathySmile

Albert Einstein said: "Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count!."

reverend blamo
#8 Print Post
Posted on July 13 2009 05:14 PM

Hello and Welcome Benderelle, Glad to have you amongst us.
"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
Elvis Costello

RottieWoman
#9 Print Post
Posted on July 13 2009 09:53 PM

hello there, benderelle!

I was diagnosed in college like so many - hope you enjoy your time here Smile

purplesunrise
#10 Print Post
Posted on July 24 2009 12:39 AM

This term surfaced in the newsgroup talk.bizarre but is now in wide use. Criteria for being considered a newbie vary wildly; a person can be called a newbie in one group while remaining a respected regular in another. The label "newbie" is sometimes applied as a serious insult to a person who has been around for a long time but who carefully hides all evidence of having a clue.
voiture simulation de credit immobilier en ligne - Simulation credit immobilier en ligne. L’Internet a rendu encore plus facile d’obtenir de l’aide pour trouver le credit immobilier.

justfoundout
#11 Print Post
Posted on July 24 2009 11:23 PM

7/24/09
Dear Benderelle,
One time my cell phone started saying the number out loud when I was punching them in. For the first few days, I didn't mind, although I didn't know what I'd done that 'set it off'. And a strong, clear voice it had indeed. As I would punch in a number, it would announce those number at the top of it's lungs. But, just as I didn't know what I'd done that had 'set it off', I also didn't know what to do to 'hush it up'. The problem came one day as I was stuck in a fast food restaurant, full of customers, and I had to dial a friend's number. The cell phone announced her number to my entire, unintended audience. They were all looking at up at me from their meals as though a bit startled. NINE!, SEVEN!, TWO!, TWO!, SIX!, FOUR!, 5555. And I really don't remember how it finally gave up on it's calling. (pun intended). - jus'

crowskyler
#12 Print Post
Posted on July 25 2009 08:33 AM

Hi! Welcome to the forum! (Fellow new person here.)

It's so cool that you have methods that work for you, to get past the problems dyscalculia can cause with money and numbers. Smile
"The caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity." --George Carlin

http://www.velvetdemon.net/
Jump to Forum: