Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 6

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Dyscalculia Day 2010
justfoundout
#21 Print Post
Posted on March 02 2010 07:59 PM

3/2/10
Dear jackie220,
It's sounds marvelous. Where have you been all our lives? - jus'

saruna
#22 Print Post
Posted on March 02 2010 11:29 PM

I'm working with a friend to hopefully finish a video. Hopefully we'll have it up sometime tomorrow. I'll be sure to post a link on the forum in case anyone is interested.

Addy
#23 Print Post
Posted on March 03 2010 04:47 AM

I was gone for the last two weeks in February, so I didn't get around to making a video or any cafe press stuff for Dyscalculia Day. Maybe we could declare March to be Dyscalculia Awareness Month, on behalf of all of us procrastinators? Smile
squidoo.com/mathld
squidoo.com/writi...
squidoo.com/LDsid...
www.AddaptAbiliti...
www.wellorderedch...

www.addaptabilities.com
tr3slunas
#24 Print Post
Posted on March 03 2010 10:54 AM

justfoundout wrote:
3/2/10
Dear salsa,
If you'd like, go ahead and send tr3slunas a PM (private message). She's a busy lady and isn't consistently here on the forum - though she's great fun when she IS here!

Thanks Jus' for guiding Salsa to my attention via her PM Smile

Hope everyone has a good day spreading the word Smile
Count me in! Wink

eoffg
#25 Print Post
Posted on March 03 2010 11:13 AM

Administrator

March For Dyscalculia!
Addy, that is the greatest idea!
Why limit ourselves to a day?
Dyscalculia Awareness Month.
DAM.
We could have rolling things throughout the month, and also not be limited to a single day.
It would really open up a whole new approach, where we would have a whole month to discuss activities and carry them out.
Rather than just a single day, which happens to be Wednesday this year.

Maths is something that everyone across the world has to use daily, and is well deserving of having a whole month dedicated to it!

DAM,
Dyscalculia Awareness Month
Dyscalculia Awareness March

salsa
#26 Print Post
Posted on March 03 2010 02:01 PM

thanks to jus and tr3 for your help. will try to get some things moving at this end of the country.

solidarity and progress in numbers !

justfoundout
#27 Print Post
Posted on March 03 2010 02:24 PM

3/3/10
Yes, Addy. Good idea. After I read your post, it was my intention to scroll down and tell you what a good idea I thought that was. But then, as I scrolled down, and down, and down, I saw that I wasn't the only one impressed with the idea. Actually, when I saw that Geoff had written DAM, I pictured him saying that while slapping his thigh. It wasn't until the second time that he said it, with Dyscalculia Awareness Month and Dyscalculia Awareness March written below it, that I realized it was an acronym. LOL. Absolutely. Like Geoff wrote, "We could have rolling things throughout the month,..." As you said, Addy, it would be great "on behalf of all of us procrastinators" to have a more than a day for Dyscalculia Day. And even more than helping out the 'procrastinators', there just ARE projects that take more than a "day". Getting permission to set up a table, and then actually getting it set up, takes 'time'. So, once all that work has been done, surely we would want to keep it 'out and available' for several days, and not just one day.

And, one other thing that has occurred to me only recently is that, being that we are located all around the globe, by the time that it's MY Dyscalculia Day here in Texas, Dyscalculia Day is mostly over for the members in Australia and the UK,... and they are asleep by then. :( Of course, I was asleep while they were having their Dyscalculia Day, too. So, it really does make more sense to, in some way, extend Dyscalculia Day into something longer than a 24-hour day.

Hi, salsa and tr3s. I'm glad to see that you've finally gotten together. - jus'

Fennec
#28 Print Post
Posted on March 03 2010 02:55 PM

tr3slunas:
I LOVE the pins. What an awesome idea! Smile

I've also decided to promote dyscalculia awareness this year, but I must say your advocacy is on a much greater scale. All I did was make a stamp for DeviantArt:

fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/061/7/4/Dyscalculia_stamp__by_rabid_riolu.gif

Given that DeviantArt is a very popular website, I'm hoping that a lot of people come across the stamp sometime.

Everyone else:
I think making March into Dyscalculia Month is a good and practical idea. It's certainly true that some projects take longer than others, like setting up a table. However, maybe we should just extend it to a week for now? A month is very extensive and, IMO, feels like it should incorporate all LDs instead of just dyscalculia. (Is there an LD awareness month?)

I do wish I had more time to make my stamp. Honestly, I forgot about the awareness day until just last night and thus didn't have much time to make my stamp look better Sad Maybe I'll redo it sometime.

If you do not bring forth what is within you,
what you do not have within you will destroy you.

óGospel of Thomas

justfoundout
#29 Print Post
Posted on March 03 2010 04:01 PM

3/3/10
Dear Fennec,
I do see your point about making it just a Dyscalculia Week, instead of a Dyscalculia Month. I don't want to be the 'killjoy' on the month-long idea, but you're right that there are lots of other things that deserve to be 'remembered' during the year, and a whole month just for 'us' could be seen as a bit like 'glutony'. Having a whole month for Dyscalculia Awareness could cause the whole thing to 'loose its punch'. And, it's nice to see you again Fennec. Was it Dyscalculia Day that brought you back here to the forum today? - jus'

Addy
#30 Print Post
Posted on March 03 2010 10:53 PM

Jus', it's definitely a good point that do have a single Dyslcalculia Day is kind of odd in the internet age. It's still March 3rd where I am, but it's already March 4th in a lot of places ...

As for week vs month, I'm not sure what the advantages or disadvantages would be to going either way. Apparently October is already Learning Disability Awareness Month (http://www.ldonline.org/calendar/ld) but I'm not sure how that has helped dyscalculia in particular.

The advantage to having a whole month is that it allows flexibility for event planning; a lot of schools have Spring Break at some point during March, and having the entire month to work with allows student groups to work around that. I don't know if it needs to have a sustained, month-long effort, or if we just declare it, and then do what we can throughout the month.

On the other hand, having a week gives more time than a single day, but still has a more narrow focus.

The beauty of a grassroots movement is that it's up to us. Maybe different members of the forum can try working on different time frames of Day/Week/Month, and then confer at the end of the month and see what we feel worked best?

It's so awesome to be a part of this!
squidoo.com/mathld
squidoo.com/writi...
squidoo.com/LDsid...
www.AddaptAbiliti...
www.wellorderedch...

www.addaptabilities.com
watchtheskies
#31 Print Post
Posted on March 04 2010 08:05 AM

Hello Everyone!
Wow, I'm happily surprised and astounded at how far many of you represented us. From posted flyers, handouts, letters to school districts and word-of-mouth..I feel like it's the defense I've needed, for people to actually understand that I'm not simply stupid or lazy, ..it's been a huge issue with me!

I wasn't very proactive like most of you I must admit..I posted videos, reports, and a link to this specific site on my facebook page to arouse interest in people. It was worth it. And old friend messaged me saying that she has always struggled but had never heard of dyscalculia. She followed my links and said she is going to get tested, all the symptoms match. AT LAST! An answer...it felt good to shine the light on someone and help them realize that they are not alone.

-Nancy
n.a.c

Kestrel6
#32 Print Post
Posted on March 04 2010 01:41 PM

Same here, I hit Facebook and Twitter, and got one reply, so they should be signing on the forum shortly.
"Resistance is futile; you will be assimilated!"
Blessed are the PURR in heart!

http://twicetoldtails.googlepages.com
justfoundout
#33 Print Post
Posted on March 05 2010 02:44 AM

3/4/10
Dear Addy,
I've thought about it some more 'D-month vs. D-week'. Sometime in the middle of the night, in the dark, I kept 'running the program' in my head, and I realized the impossibility of having a Dyscalculia Week. The problem is defining the 'week' on the calendar. If, for example, we were to pick the entire week which contains March 3rd, that day might fall on a Friday. Then, all dyscalculics would be trying to figure out the date of the first day of the Dyscalculia Week. And, in some countries, Monday is considered the first day of the week, but in other countries Sunday is considered the first day of the week. So, I'm seeing that having either a Dyscalculia Day or a Dyscalculia Month would work, but the Dyscalculia Week would probably give us a lot of problems due to figuring out 'which' week we are talking about.

Dear watchtheskies,
I may have greeted you before, but if I haven't - Welcome! It sounds like you've done some very good work in telling others about dyscalculia. My Dyscalculia Day was not spent in any 'grand gesture' of Awarenes Making, but like yourself, I did what I could. For extra credit in my Spanish class, I attended a 'Lunch' of Spanish students where everyone had to speak Spanish. After most students had left, one young woman and I stayed and kept talking. She's having trouble passing math. She told me that she's had two concussions from car wtecks, and that she thinks that this has affected her memory. She said that she learns the material and is able to do her homework, but the when she is presented with the test, she can't work any of the problems. I gave her information so that she can get tested. She might have already been dyscalculic, and now have additional memory problems, or she may have brain damage, but whatever is giving her trouble, only a diagnosis can establish the truth of her situation and possibly get accommodations for her. And, I told her that the coincidence was that we were talking about this on Dyscalculia Day. So, even if I could just help one person, that one person is still very important.

Dear Kestrel,
I loved your quote: ""Resistance is futile; you will be assimilated!" - the Borg from the Startrek, Next Generation. Cute. - jus'

Addy
#34 Print Post
Posted on March 05 2010 08:22 PM

Jus',

That's a really good point about D-Week. I was thinking along those lines too, but then I had to stop because of the counting involved Smile

I'm going to try working with Dyscalculia Awareness Month and see what happens (with response, with my energy levels, etc). I'll report back and let you all know.
squidoo.com/mathld
squidoo.com/writi...
squidoo.com/LDsid...
www.AddaptAbiliti...
www.wellorderedch...

www.addaptabilities.com
saruna
#35 Print Post
Posted on March 14 2010 01:43 AM

(Re-posted from Addy's other thread about the the possibility of Dyscalculia Awareness Month.)
http://www.dyscal...post_26193

Saruna Wrote:
I'm not sure that we should have a seperate month for Dyscalculia, especially considering that March is Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month and also Disability Awareness Month.

October is Learning Disabilities Month and it is recognized in both the United States and Canada. Personally, I favor the idea that we join the larger LD Awareness Month in October.

If we must have a specific Dyscalculia Awareness Month/Week/Day, etc., I think that we should really limit ourselves to a week at most. Anyway, a quick internet search reveals that we'd be sharing the month of March with a lot of other worthy causes.

Here's a partial list of other March Awareness Months:

Brain Injury Awareness Month
Colon Cancer Awareness Month
DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) Awareness Month
Mental Retardation Awareness Month
Endometriosis Awareness Month
Prostate Cancer Awareness Month
Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Month
Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month
Hemophilia Awareness Month
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Sexual Assault Awareness Month