Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Interesting e-book on Dyscalculia
RosieLee
#1 Print Post
Posted on April 21 2010 07:14 PM

Hi Guys

Stumbled across this on the Internet..it is in .pdf format..

http://www.dyscal...0Adler.pdf

Hope you find it interesting!

RosieLee

justfoundout
#2 Print Post
Posted on April 21 2010 11:36 PM

4/10/21
Dear RosieLee,
Thanks for posting what you found so that we can all see it. If I had found it, I might have posted it, too. So, please don't take my criticism of the book as a criticism of 'you', my RosieLee friend, in any way.

I checked through the book. I know that it's a tough subject to write about accurately,... tough for anyone to write about accurately,... but when I got to this part of page 27, I just sort of 'gagged'. I'll paste here what I'm referring to. I disagree with what he says, myself.

Quote from page 27 of this pdf http://www.dyscal...B%20Adler.pdf by Dr. B. Adler, 2001:
"Is dyscalculia curable? The simple answer is yes! The diagnosis dyscalculia is only ever a description of the present stage of development, applicable for a maximum of one year. As the child develops, the difficulties that existed in the previous year can have minimized or may almost disappear.

My own research supports the long term studies of Shalev, to indicate that many children with dyscalculia outgrow their diagnosis after some years."

Oh, that we could just 'outgrow' it. ;) - jus'

RosieLee
#3 Print Post
Posted on April 22 2010 08:23 AM

Hi jus'
Yeah, I kind of reached an impasse when it got to this bit too. Although my Maths has improved recently (due to the HOURS of work I have put in), I have to say that I still find it wretchedly hard. I don't think dyscalculia ever "disappears" although we may find coping strategies to deal with it which really isn't the same.

justfoundout
#4 Print Post
Posted on April 22 2010 12:08 PM

4/22/10
Dear RosieLee,
Yes, that what I think, too. I think that a lot of Doctors have thought, "Oh, okay, 'dyscalculia'. This means you can't 'calculate'. So, I'll just teach you to 'calculate' and you'll be all 'fixed' and 'good to go'."

They then proceed to tutor a dyscalculic on one small area of 'learning', and once the dyscalculic learns to work that particular type of problem, the Doctor thinks that he has Conqured Dyscalculia,... and writes a book about it. (hahaha) - jus'

internationalmama
#5 Print Post
Posted on April 22 2010 02:35 PM

Hi guys,
At this point I need to jump into this discussion. The paper has a link to a site that offers help and therapy with people with dyscalculia. So, itīs not just about giving opinions, the author needs to demonstrate it in the therapy. And that is what I want to discuss. The help of a therapy to increase the possibility to a better understanding of maths.
Maybe "outgrow" is not the better word but I want to emphazise that a specific dyscalculia therapy as it exists in Germany (and maybe Sweden) brings extraordinary help and relief to children and adults.
And I find as important as let everybody know about dyscalculia, let them also know that
they may also find nowadays specific and personal help. Thatīs why the author stresses the importance of an assesment that let specific remedies help (and if anyone who scores in the last 10 percentil can go up to 50, it may be a whole meaningfull difference in everyday life if not a cure!).

RosieLee
#6 Print Post
Posted on May 08 2010 02:54 PM

Hello internationalmama
I think it's a really good thing that the author of this paper refers people to this site which offers assistance and also the way in which he describes the feelings of people with dyscalculia, because I found this very accurate in my particular case.
Are you speaking about maths- learning strategies, rather than a "cure" here? I believe that people with dyscalculia can learn to a certain extent, if they are taught in a way that they find meaningful (which has happened in my case), but I don't believe this is a "cure" as such.
I'm glad that people are offering their opinions, though, as it's all grist to the mill as they say!
Smile
Edited by RosieLee on May 09 2010 03:55 PM

Jump to Forum: