Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 13

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,048
· Newest Member: Nicki Holmes

View Thread

Print Thread
Words losing meaning suddenly
dysflexei
#1 Print Post
Posted on May 09 2010 07:05 AM

Hi ,

I've been experiencing this sometimes . sometimes , when i write or read , some words just lose their meaning and it just feels to me as if it is just a group of symbols . It is like I can't figure out the meaning and i lose sense that it is even a word . The word suddenly doesn't make any sense to me. It act like something iam seeing for the first time . I think u get the point . The word might be any commin word like "the" , for example .

I don't know if this has something to do with dyscalculia or aything . I just want to share it with u guys , so that if someone else experience this , i can know more about it . I am not even sure if everyone experience this .

Mohinga
#2 Print Post
Posted on May 09 2010 09:51 AM

Sometimes when I have to look something up in a dictionary or yellow pages I am confused by seeing the same letter appear so many times that the letter becomes an unknown symbol.
Once I have found what I was looking for, the letter becomes my good old friend again.
The same thing applies for words.
Edited by Mohinga on May 09 2010 09:51 AM
I'm a violin so stop trying to make me sound like a piano!!

Dyscalculia doesn't bother me as much as all the nasty accessories that came with it

eoffg
#3 Print Post
Posted on May 09 2010 11:09 AM

Administrator

Dysflexei, their are a whole range of words that don't have any meaning.
Rather they sit in the background and give meaning to other words.
But by themselves they have no meaning.
Words like: and, to, might, could, should, would, do, will, was, or, so, at, an, a, by, be, have no meaning in isolation.
In the same way that a photo of a clear blue sky, simply becomes a photo of the colour blue. It only becomes a sky when the horizon is shown or perhaps a bird flies across it, or a cloud.
Also when you are reading, you might notice that your eyes don't look directly at those words? Rather they are seen in our peripheral vision, as eyes skip across the line.
They can also only be thought of verbally, as they only exist as a sound or a printed word.

dysflexei
#4 Print Post
Posted on May 09 2010 02:59 PM

I think my prob is somewhat similar to Mohinga . @eoffg , it's not about the meaning of words in the language i'm speaking about . It's for eg , i see the word "car" , and suddenly i lose the word . then the word is just like a strange combination of three words 'c' 'a' 'r' . it doesn't make any sense to me . it feels as if i'am seeing this word for the first time , though it isn't . after sometime , i regain the word and the word starts to feel normal again .

justfoundout
#5 Print Post
Posted on May 09 2010 04:17 PM

5/9/10
Dear dysglexei,
I do know what you're talking about. I've been trying to remember 'when' and 'under what circumstances' that happened to me. I may yet remember,... but most of all,... it has happened to me at least on one occassion. When it happened, it really wasn't about whether it was an 'arbitrary' word, a 'noun', or a 'verb'. It was a 'blankness', so that the highest IQ on earth wouldn't have caused the symbols to have 'meaning'. I think that it was on some occassion when I was just really, really tired.

I'd seen the James Garner movie "Heartsounds" (1984), containing a scene in which, after illness, he realizes that he can't read an analog clock. He 'sees' the clock, but he can't make any 'sense' out of it.

I tried unsuccessfully, just now, to find a link where you could watch that movie 'for free' and with no strings attached, but couldn't find one. I know that it's not 'exactly' what you are talking about, but it was a good movie, nevertheless. - jus'

Mohinga
#6 Print Post
Posted on May 09 2010 05:44 PM

dysflexei wrote:
I think my prob is somewhat similar to Mohinga . @eoffg , it's not about the meaning of words in the language i'm speaking about . It's for eg , i see the word "car" , and suddenly i lose the word . then the word is just like a strange combination of three words 'c' 'a' 'r' . it doesn't make any sense to me . it feels as if i'am seeing this word for the first time , though it isn't . after sometime , i regain the word and the word starts to feel normal again .

Sounds pretty much like what I have experienced.
If I am looking at a page full of words starting with "N", the meaning of the letter will disappear and it seems like I've never seen "N" before in my life.
I'm a violin so stop trying to make me sound like a piano!!

Dyscalculia doesn't bother me as much as all the nasty accessories that came with it

justfoundout
#7 Print Post
Posted on May 09 2010 06:53 PM

5/9/10
In my case, it wasn't about a particular letter, but rather a word or words. But it was just as you said, Mohinga, about the it being like I'd "never seen it before". - jus'

dysflexei
#8 Print Post
Posted on May 10 2010 07:32 AM

Yeah its the "never seen it before" feeling that pops in . But after somtime , i usually regain my normal sense .

justfoundout
#9 Print Post
Posted on May 10 2010 12:58 PM

5/10/10
Right,... after a moment it's almost as if it hadn't happened. But it lasted just long enough to remember that the moment did happen. - jus'

EarlyWarning
#10 Print Post
Posted on May 10 2010 02:21 PM

Very Good topic dysflexei, thankyou.

This happens to me when i'm talking or writing. I'll either know the definition, and the variations the word can be used in... but the word is beguiling to me. or i also have it where i'll see a word and have to just stare at it trying to sound it out in my head with a variation on the placement of accent until it suddenly just pops back into my head... then i feel like an idiot for not recognizing the word.
You May not Live, But you will Die.

Jump to Forum: