Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 6

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Accomodations for someone who wants to study math?
dml8338
#1 Print Post
Posted on October 22 2010 01:04 AM

It seems bizarre to a lot of people that I have chosen to study Statistics in college, to me though statistics, or at least how I see it, is so different from mathematics. It is the difference I guess between theory and application. Granted occasionally I will have to struggle through a bit of application that requires theory but it is never a complete wall. Unfortunately to get a degree in Statistics you have to take a lot of theoretical mathematics, the stuff driven by abstract notation and language. I am in a very strange position because the typical accommodation is to simply not take math classes in college if you have dyscalculia. I want to take those classes but without any accommodation I am doomed to fail them. Right now I get to take my exams in a quiet room with extra time and a four function calculator but when I am trying to recall the formula for a Poisson distribution or how to calculate the integral of the inverse of tan(x) that calculator and extra time don't do much. I have asked in the past for a formula sheet when I was taking multivariate calculus but was turned down because supposedly having one would give me an unfair advantage and would mean I didn't bother to learn or understand the concepts. Does anyone have ideas for what would be considered reasonable accommodation for someone with dyscalculia in higher level mathematics? I know some will say that you can't be in higher level mathematics with dyscalculia but to me that's like telling someone you can't possibly read a novel if you are dyslexic. I have always found different ways to learn mathematics that are usually time consuming and non traditional which has worked up to a point but the farther up I get it seems the more resistance I encounter to finding those different ways.

twistedxkiss
#2 Print Post
Posted on October 22 2010 01:37 AM

"I am in a very strange position because the typical accommodation is to simply not take math classes in college if you have dyscalculia."

What planet is this true on and how fast can I move there? Wink

From what I've been able to tell, some schools accept formula sheets as an accommodation, some don't. Neither of the schools I've attended allow it, which is part of why I didn't major in a math/science field. I hope someone here will have another suggestion. Have you met with the disabilities coordinator? What did they suggest?

johnrichard
#3 Print Post
Posted on June 20 2011 06:38 AM

twistedxkiss wrote:
"I am in a very strange position because the typical accommodation is to simply not take math classes in college if you have dyscalculia."

What planet is this true on and how fast can I move there? Wink

From what I've been able to tell, some schools accept formula sheets as an accommodation, some don't. Neither of the schools I've attended allow it, which is part of why I didn't major in a math/science field. I hope someone here will have another suggestion. Have you met with the disabilities coordinator? What did they suggest?

Yes, you required to get expert advice from your coordinator. Make it practical and get benefited from the same.

http://www.buy-custom-essays-online.com/
Jump to Forum: