Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Grades Posted - Fall 2010
justfoundout
#1 Print Post
Posted on December 16 2010 04:20 PM

12/16/10
One of my dear teachers appologized via email to the entire class for accidentally not pushing 'publish', so that about 30 students were glued to the computer for one whole day, waiting to see what grade they got on the Final Test and their Final Grade for the course. She said that she hadn't meant to keep us waiting so long. Yes, it was a real marathon to keep logging back into our student account without jamming up the password, hoping for that wonderful sensation of seeing the 'better' grade possibility on the spot where that letter grade goes.

I got an A in Painting One, and a B in Biology II. Yes, I'm happy. And, I've now finished my AA degree (Associate of Arts, a two-year degree, given by Community Colleges in the US.)

What did you 'get' in your classes? - jus'

RottieWoman
#2 Print Post
Posted on December 16 2010 04:33 PM

YAY, 'jus! CONGRATULATIONS!

justfoundout
#3 Print Post
Posted on December 16 2010 05:25 PM

12/16/10
Thanks, RW. Muchas gracias! - jus'

Nissa
#4 Print Post
Posted on December 20 2010 03:48 AM

Good going Jus!

I got A's in both of my classes - I took Public Libraries (that class was mostly focused on management) and a class on creating library catalog records. Now I only have two more semesters to go, and I'll have my master's degree!

CheshireKat
#5 Print Post
Posted on December 20 2010 03:22 PM

That's awesome Jus, congratulations!! I know Bio was difficult for you so I'm glad you came out of it with a B. Smile So what's the plan next semester, will you be starting at the 4-year university?

So far 4/5 of my grades are published, 2 A's and 2 B's. One of the B's is in... drumroll please... TRIG! Yes, I did end up not only passing it, but getting a solid B in the process. The other B was in an extremely difficult psych class that I am just happy to have passed at all, to be honest. It was really interesting and I learned a lot, but the tests were very difficult. I don't think I actually know anyone in that class who got an A, come to think of it! I'm sure someone did, but nobody who I talked to. I'm still waiting on my Stats 1 grade, but I'm sure it will be either an A or a B, depending on what I got on my final exam. I have 100s on all of my quizzes though and a 97% average on exams, so I would have to severely screw up my final exam to drop my grade from an A to a B.
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

justfoundout
#6 Print Post
Posted on December 20 2010 04:42 PM

12/20/10
So, we can pretty well go ahead and put Kat down for 3 'A's and 2 'B's. That's amazing, especially being as you did all five in one semester, and while working a job, too. Congratulations, Kat!

Nissa, thanks for your congratulations to me. And look at you!... only two semesters to go for your Masters. Is that a Masters in Library Science? And you got 2 'A's. Wonderful! Congratulations, Nissa!

Yes, Bio II was difficult for me, but it was easier for me than Bio I had been. I really did already 'know a lot' about the subject. My strong point was answering the teacher's 'in class' questions, which made me great for 'class participation'. The Bio Lab tests seemed to be what gave me the most trouble. I think I know the reason 'why'. When working with a 'group', the student with the test tubes and the chemicals in her hands wouldn't keep the rest of the group appraised of what she was doing. So, it was a real challenge just to find out the result of each experiment,... and then that was exactly what would be on the test. If there had been enough test equipment for me to do the experiment myself, and if I'd had extra Lab time to do this, then I would have known 'what' did 'what' to 'what'. Hindsight. But, that would have been a huge 'accommodation' to request,... and probably impossible for the college to give, as the teacher is a 'limited resource', and she would have to 'be there' in order for a student to be using the Lab. Anyway, a 'B' in Bio was good, and I'm very happy with it.

What I'll need to do now is write to my local Uni and ask what GPA they now have on record for me. I want to get it as high as possible before I transfer, as that GPA determines the amount of scholarship money I'll get in my first semester there.

Oh, Kat asked about where I'll attend next semester. I'm trying to stay at cc for Spring 2011, as there are three more classes that I can take at the 2-year level that will transfer into my Bachelors of Art in Art degree. For now, I'm enrolled at both the Uni and the cc. I'm waiting on Financial Aid confirmation from the cc before I drop the Uni classes from my schedule. - jus'

CheshireKat
#7 Print Post
Posted on December 20 2010 09:38 PM

Jus, don't put TOO much confidence in me just yet, in the past I have had a secure A in a class before and then completely bombed the final and ended up with a B+ for my final grade. Stranger things have happened, lol.

That sounds like a good idea, to take as many classes at the CC as you can. I bet they are cheaper there than they are at the university. I am taking my foreign language requirements at CC this summer, I was just recently approved to do so by my disabilities adviser. Because of my auditory processing issues, the educational psychologist wrote into my paperwork that I need accommodation for anything that relies heavily on auditory cues. Language is one of those things, so I was given the okay to file to take 2 semesters of foreign language over the summer (Summer A and Summer B) at the community college here instead of at my university. That means a smaller class, and a teacher who is an actual TEACHER of language, instead of a graduate student who is a TA and doesn't actually know how to teach.
Edited by CheshireKat on December 20 2010 09:38 PM
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

justfoundout
#8 Print Post
Posted on December 21 2010 12:36 AM

12/20/10
So, Kat, what language will you choose? And, that's a shame that you would only get a 'graduate student who is a TA' rather than a full-fledged teacher if you were to take the language course at your Uni. Would that only be the case if you take language during the summer at the Uni? If you take Spanish, please let me know what book you'll be using by PM? - jus'

CheshireKat
#9 Print Post
Posted on December 21 2010 06:13 AM

Jus - It doesn't matter whether you take the language Summer, Fall, or Spring, they are all taught by TAs. That is the way that most of the very large undergraduate courses at my university are designed - a few professors (Ph.D.'s) oversee a large number (maybe 5-10) of TAs, Teaching Assistants, graduate students with Master's degrees who teach their classes for them. The doctorate-holding professor is the one who designs the course and heads it, but in reality it is the graduate students who do all of the teaching.

Some TAs are amazing, I have had really great TAs who genuinely loved it and taught me a lot. But other TAs are, to put it plainly, awful. They don't want to teach, they're only doing it because they need the credit, and they are not natural teachers. Conveying information does not come naturally to them, so they are awful to take classes with. So regardless of the semester, language courses (which are large classes because all Liberal Arts students are required to take two back-to-back semesters of language to graduate) are always taught by TAs. This semester both of my math classes, Trig and Stats 1, were taught by TAs. Both of my TAs, thankfully, were good teachers. That is not always the case.

I would take Spanish if I was allowed to, but my university has strict rules about what languages you can and cannot take. If you have any prior exposure to a language (like taking it in high school or doing a semester abroad) then you cannot enter into the beginning level course in that language, you have to start in an accelerated class. Since I took Spanish 1 and Spanish 2 in high school, that counts as prior exposure, so I would have to take Accelerated Spanish 1, followed by Intermediate Spanish 2. I took high school Spanish almost 7 years ago, I am not nearly confident enough in my Spanish-speaking abilities to jump into an Accelerated Spanish 1 class, so I'm just going to take a different language altogether. Probably French since it is a related romance language, it shouldn't be too hard.

johnrichard
#10 Print Post
Posted on June 20 2011 06:35 AM

It seems interesting the way it is explained Smile

http://www.buy-custom-essays-online.com/
Jump to Forum: