Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 7

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Dyslexia or Dyscalculia?
SMSurla
#1 Print Post
Posted on January 02 2011 08:48 AM

Ok, so I'm reading stuff and researching and whatnot and have come to question my own self diagnosis. I can do some math in my head. Some of the really basic stuff. I found a video on Youtube that is supposed to show what it's like for some one with dyscalculia to do math and I could not relate to it at all. I know a 4 is a 4. I know how many 4 is. I did an assessment yesterday for a possible job that included some math and it didn't stress me out and I think I got all the answers correct. The thing about it is that the sample questions were real world examples. If some one asked me to write it as an algebraic expression, I'd have told them where to go. 2+2, I'm good, throw a letter in the mix and I want to kill you. Personally. With my bare hands.

I read well, I comprehend even better. I read quite fast even. Sometimes too fast and I either omit letters or add them (case in point, saw a sign on the side of the road, "Granite tops, free bids" which I read as "Granite tops, free birds" and was wondering what the hell birds had to do with granite tops... I can't spell worth a darn. I have to sing that "i before e except after c" song from Charlie Brown to spell words like receipt and friend correctly. (yay spell check!)

My grammar can be quite hit or miss mostly because I can never figure out where to end a sentence or what form of a word I should use (then & than, there & their) Have I mentioned I can't spell? I remember dreading when that inevitable time came about when we were supposed to diagram sentences. I don't know the parts of speech (I remember the words, but not what it means like what are pronouns???) Basic stuff I get, noun is a name, verb is an action. Anything beyond that is Greek to me.

And don't get me started about writing anything longer than a few paragraphs. I end up getting my thoughts mixed up and everything sounds so discombobulated that I just end up not writing the ideas in my head (have ideas for 3 books, can't get them organized enough to actually WRITE them) I "see" them as a movie, I just can't get that to translate into written words. I should mention that I tend to get so lost in books that I often forget that I'm reading words and just kind of see a movie playing out in my head.

Oh, I do have an issue with one certain type of reading, technical reading. If I can't imagine what the words are saying in my head, I don't get it. It makes zero sense to me.

What does this mean?

dandy22
#2 Print Post
Posted on January 03 2011 04:33 AM

Dear SMSurla, I have some similar issues that you have, such as omitting letters when I read. I also can do basic math, however algebra has never made sense to me. In an algebra equation I don"t understand why there are letters. For example:
3(Y-4)+2X(7+5Y ) does not mean anything to me.

My dyscalculia is not as bad as others, I'm fairly high functioning. I read very well, however it took me until the second grade to be able to read a word. When I finally could read, word problems were one of my "strengths". If the numbers had something to represnt I did a little better. For example, Joe bought ten pieces of candy for $1.50 and a toy for $3.75 how much did he spend? I didn't always add or subtract correctly but I knew what the numbers represented and what was being asked.

Many dyscalculics have trouble determining left from right. I was wondering if you did too. I was taught that L thing with your hands to determine which is which. But it doesn't work for me. I was told that which ever one looks like an L is left. But they were both L's to me, one was just backwards. When I think about my left hand I look at my right and when I think of my right hand I also look at my right. That is my least favorite part of being dyscalculic.
Equations are the devil's sentences. -Stephen Colbert

notoureguides92
#3 Print Post
Posted on February 13 2011 03:58 AM

is there a possability for both? not shure if it is possable just like to know
if you gonna learn about somthing learn everything you can!
also plz feel free to ask me about trains
i love talking about trains and asnwering questions about em!

squeakymonster
#4 Print Post
Posted on February 13 2011 04:28 AM

Yes, it is possible to have both dyslexia and dyscalculia.
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

tr3slunas
#5 Print Post
Posted on February 13 2011 07:05 PM

Hello, dyslexia can give you problems with reading numbers, just as it does with letters and words. So there are people with dyslexia who struggle at maths. However it is possible to have both, I think there is quite a large overlap actually, I remember reading something on the 'about dyscalculia page' here in the forum.
Count me in! Wink

Kestrel6
#6 Print Post
Posted on February 15 2011 03:57 PM

I can do simple addition and multiplication, but don't ask me to subtract or divide. Different levels of function are common.
Blessed are the PURR in heart!

http://twicetoldtails.googlepages.com
heathermomster
#7 Print Post
Posted on May 25 2011 05:15 PM

This thread was started earlier in the year, but I'll address it and see what happens....You can have reading, writing, and math disorders at the same time. I know this because my DS has all three. He was diagnosed on his 8th birthday, 2nd grade. We went into the testing knowing he was dyslexic but the math and writing were news to us.

For an adult person who has dyslexia and has learned to read well and achieved fluency, you would likely never know they were dyslexic unless you measured their reading speed. Reading speed not in the sense of reading one sentence, but reading speed, like the time to get through one chapter of a book.

You can be diagnosed dyscalculia and be able to add 2+2 without difficulty. Dyscalculia encompasses a broad range of issues. My son's math issues veer towards sequencing and following basic steps. I've read where dyscalculia people can't do jigsaw puzzles or read music. DS plays the trumpet and I've been doing puzzles with him since he was very young. He's better at puzzles than most of his peers.

The methods that are used to teach math in elementary school aren't always helpful to most students, let alone a child with dyscalculia.

For dyslexia, early intervention is key. The human brain has what is called plasticity. The brain is able to grow and that is how we learn new information. There are about 3 major brain growth spurts where learning is easiest, that occur over ones lifetime. They occur roughly at 2-3, 12, and 18 years. Outside of a diseased or damaged brain, most people can learn new information, if it is presented in a meaningful way and makes sense.

I imagine early math intervention makes a huge difference with dyscalculia too.

Prior to having any clue that my child would suffer his issues, I read the book Magic Trees of the Mind by Diamond and Hopson. This book explains how the brain grows and matures from birth through adolescence.

How the Brain Learns Mathematics by Sousa discusses exactly what the title says, it tells how the brain learns math.

Overcoming Difficulties with Number by Ronit Bird is an excellent book to use to improve your math ability.

Singapore Mental Math grade 2 is excellent for learning mental math which is a key bridging activity to learn multiplication tables.

I swear these authors owe me money as I hock their wares. Good grief...

Edited to add: You can learn subtraction by a method of complimentary addition. The Bird book I mentioned teaches it.

If you can multiply by 10s, learn basic subtraction facts through 20, and know your basic multi tables, division may be performed by the partial quotient method.
Edited by heathermomster on May 25 2011 10:31 PM

justfoundout
#8 Print Post
Posted on May 25 2011 07:23 PM

5/25/11
Hi Heathermomster,
Thank you so much for posting that information here. My dear grandmother started me on jigsaw puzzles when I was very small. She enjoyed them herself, and would often have one either alreay out on her table, or at least 'at the ready', when she knew that I was coming over to visit. Even so, I'm not 'fast' at finding pieces. But I find pleasure in it, particularly, it seems, because of the loving memories with which my earliest recollections are entwined. It surely helped my brain to improve. - jus'

Jump to Forum: