Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 8

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

Print Thread
Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia, AND ADD?!
Tamsin
#1 Print Post
Posted on April 24 2011 04:06 AM

Hi all! I am just wondering if it is possible to have Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia, and ADD. Last year I was diagnosed with ADD, so I know I have it.

A few days ago I went in to get tested for Dyslexia, but my therapist thinks I also have Dyspraxia and I would like to get tested for Dyscalculia. I will describe some of my basic symptoms below.

Dyslexia (occurs daily):

* Adding/skipping words/letters/punctuation when reading.
* Sometimes switching order of words when reading.
* Switching words and sounds when speaking ("May" instead of "October", "spell" instead of "spill", "laughing" instead of "barking", etc).

Dyspraxia*:

* Run into walls often.
* Used to trip over stairs.
* Grip pencil too hard, causing cramps.
* Difficulty with sports (throwing/kicking/catching a ball especially).
* Have the magical ability to run into a door frame, even if it is 6 feet wide.
* Often run into shelves and people too.
* Often hit curbs when driving. Once hit a car due to inability to judge distance and depth.

Dyscalculia:

* Inability to do basic math.
* Difficulty doing mental math.
* Often count on fingers.
* Cannot read a map (just looks like a picture of lines).
* Confuse left and right.
* Cannot remember most street names, and do not know where cities/towns are.
* Cannot figure tips, sales tax, total price when shopping, etc.
* Have the ability to learn a math process for about 10 seconds, and then forget how to do it.

Those are just to name a few.

* Dyspraxia is a motor/coordination problem. It basically means that people with Dyspraxia have poor hand-eye coordination, which can cause difficulty not only with sports, but with gripping items (pens/pencils, untencils, toothbrushes, etc). People with Dyspraxia also tend to have poor depth perception and difficulty estimating things like weight, distance, length, etc. Some people, like me, also have issues with estimating to correct amounts of each ingredient when cooking.

Anywho, I am somewhat confused because Dyslexia, ADD, Dyspraxia, and Dyscalculia have many similar signs, so I can't tell if I have all three. Just have to get tested...

RottieWoman
#2 Print Post
Posted on April 24 2011 12:46 PM

hi Tasmin!

I think it's certainly possible - and not un-common - for someone to have all of the things you mention. The only way to determine really is to get tested by a very knowledgeable educational psychologist or neurologist who has experience testing ADULTS for all of them.
I was in college at the time and was referred to my DVR for testing<state rehab agency>.

RottieWoman
#3 Print Post
Posted on April 24 2011 12:54 PM

oh, just wanted to add - in your symptom list for math LD <dyscalculia> I fit most of those. I also have some of the motor-spatial difficulties in the dyspraxia listing you have, though I was never tested for that.

Boogie
#4 Print Post
Posted on September 01 2011 06:14 PM

I have been diagnosed with ADHD, dyslexia and Irlen syndrome.

I am sure I have dyscalculia too - but I'm not going for a diagnosis as I don't feel that I need it.

I have been on Ritalin for the ADD - but, although the focus is good, I hate the side effects - so I don't take it any more.

seras1
#5 Print Post
Posted on June 18 2013 10:46 PM

Oh god I'm pretty sure I have dyspraxia too. Ball games aren't really my best talent.
Estimation is completely non existent for me - I have absolutely no idea how to judge distances or weights. Literally no idea.
Edited by seras1 on June 18 2013 10:48 PM

justfoundout
#6 Print Post
Posted on June 19 2013 12:33 AM

6/18/13
cowo8,
Something that I've found interesting is that Romans used the 'foot' of a grown man as a measurement,... and that's where the name 'foot' (as in 12 inches) came from. Roman men must have had really big feet! They also used the length of the forearm, from fingertips to the elbow, as a measurement. It was called a 'codo' or cubit in English. These are anthropic units of measurement. There are a lot more of them. And, although they aren't as accurate as measuring with numbers, they might help you to hold the idea of measurements in your mind. A cubit is about 18 inches.
http://en.wikiped...opic_units

It was a surprise to me when I realised that, whatever your height is turns out to be the same as the span of your outstretched arms, from fingertip to fingertip. I'm 5 foot, one inch. So, if I want to measure the length of a wall or hallway, all I have to do is count by 5's, as I move along touching my fingertips to the wall. Every time I touch and move to the next spot, that was five feet that I just counted. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on June 19 2013 12:41 AM

RottieWoman
#7 Print Post
Posted on June 20 2013 02:01 PM

cowo8, I'm terrible at team sports and units of measure mean nothing to me-

squeakymonster
#8 Print Post
Posted on September 15 2013 05:35 PM

Diagnosed as ADD last spring, going to be getting retested for Dyscalculia again next year, and have a lot of the Dyspraxia symptoms mentioned. It would explain my visual/spatial impairment. I've often hit people with shopping carts in the store, left/right are difficult to remember, I'm all the time running into things, tripping over my own feet, or otherwise finding new ways of injuring myself. Never been tested though...
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

RottieWoman
#9 Print Post
Posted on September 18 2013 02:10 PM

do you know what the testing for dyspraxia is like, squeaky?

justfoundout
#10 Print Post
Posted on September 18 2013 09:06 PM

9/20/13
Please forgive me for seeing the humor in your (very sane and pertenent) question, RW. I'm visualizing the test subject being put through some kind of obstacle course,... and not doing very well at avoiding the obstacles. But I hope that they have a more humane way of running the test. - jus'

Jump to Forum: