Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 6

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Another newbie...sort of
cantdomathforlovenormoney
#1 Print Post
Posted on April 30 2011 12:29 PM

I joined this forum back in 2005, I believe, but haven't been active. Wow, has it grown! Good job on all the support I see being given and received.

I'm Denise, I'm almost 49 and I can't do math for love nor money. Ha! I don't have a diagnosis but I fit a lot of the criteria for dyscalculia and it certainly explains the math/sequence/directions/issues I've struggled with most of my life.

I separated from my husband almost a year ago and plan to go back to college in the fall. And I'm terrified.

Last time I was in college was many many moons ago when I had three small kids at home, one severely disabled, and time was a precious commodity. My kids are grown now, I have a lot more time, and am going to give it another try. But failing College Mathematics, a non-credit course, five times has me terrified to try again. I just don't know that I can handle failing such a basic course a sixth time! On the other hand I don't know that I can handle working my physically demanding retail job for many more years, either, and I really have to find something else to do with my life.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in, re-introduce myself, and see what was going on. I hope to get to know some of you. Smile
There's really nothing new under the sun...well, except for maybe each day, each night, each blossoming love...

justfoundout
#2 Print Post
Posted on April 30 2011 05:19 PM

4/30/11
Dear Cantdo,
As soon as I saw your 'name', I was pretty sure I'd spotted a fellow Texan. And, besides both being in Texas, we feel the same about College math, and about what our lives will be without getting a degree.

Yesterday, I went to my local 4-year University, where the Head of Disability Services is so wonderful that it felt like I was in a dream. In all likelihood, I won't have to take another math class. I've done Logic (under philosophy) and Basic Computer Literacy, and I have a formal diagnosis. Please send me a PM if you need more information. - jus'

Jump to Forum: