Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,054
· Newest Member: directionallyimpaired

View Thread

The Dyscalculia Forum :: Other Dyscalculia Topics :: Dyscalculia Chat
 Print Thread
Calculator Woes
Mohinga
Posted on April 14 2009 12:11 PM

HouseFan110 wrote:
The stupid calculator gives me results that are other worldly. I'm not joking, and that's just on a normal calculator. Give me a scientific calculator and that's when things get... I'd go as far as saying 'cruel'. You're certainly not alone.

I seem to end up with unexpected results and when I enter the numbers once more, the result is different from the first time.
Calculators do not like me..
I'm a violin so stop trying to make me sound like a piano!!

Dyscalculia doesn't bother me as much as all the nasty accessories that came with it

Mom2Teeco
Posted on April 20 2009 04:00 AM

We have a talking calculator over here, and it's been fantastic. When you can 'hear' what you type in, then you know if you actually input the numbers correctly as you hear them said.

There are regular talking calculators and even (expensive) scientific talking calculators (like this: http://www.phonem...cca.html).

It cuts down on the number reversals quite a bit.

Katie88
Posted on July 03 2009 09:48 AM

I can work a regular calculator pretty good (as long as the problem doesn't involve mixed numbers, fractions, or the nifty square root sign) but give me a scientific calculator and the desire to BREAK it becomes unbearable.

Katie
'From childhoods hour I have not been as others were...' Edgar Allen Poe - Alone

eagleknot
Posted on July 17 2009 03:57 AM

There are already calculators for the blind that talk... They are standard 4 function or scientific. I like my TI-86 b/c I can track all my mistakes... It's taken a while, but I can sortof program it..

HouseMDfan110
Posted on July 17 2009 09:40 AM

Calculators? forget it.

The only thing I can do on a calculator is make words from the numbers...

RottieWoman
Posted on July 17 2009 12:21 PM

hmm, wish I could find that calculator for students with LD that DVR purchased for me in college -

TonyJ
Posted on July 27 2009 04:48 PM

What do I want in a calculator? Hmm... To be allowed to use one during exams, that would suit me just fine. Any calculator, as long as it has a memory function lol. Of course there is still the problem of me not being able to reassemble the formulas in my head so as to be able to tell the calculator what I need.. Crap! Foiled again! Pfft

eoffg wrote:
But the more important question, is what would a Dyscalculic Calculator be like? What features would it have and what would make it user friendly?

Given the number of different companies producing calculators and the competition between them.
Also that their is no Dyscalculia Friendly calculator on the market.
As well as the fact that up to 10% of the world are Dyscalculic.
Their is a huge potential market, just waiting!

But the problem is that Calculator producers dont know what Dyscalculics want and need in a calculator?
So how about we talk about what we want in a Dyscalculic Calculator?
Then we can send the results of our discussion off to various calculator companies.
So what do want in a Calculator?

GeoffSad

RottieWoman
Posted on July 28 2009 12:14 AM

Tony , if you are tested and determined to have math LD, one of the accommodations is the use of calculator during exams. It's one of a variety of accommodations I had in college.

justfoundout
Posted on July 28 2009 12:39 AM

7/27/09
Dear RottieWoman,
What brand was your calculator? Do you remember? Was it a TI? Or maybe a Sharp? Was it a US made calculator? - jus'

RottieWoman
Posted on July 28 2009 02:39 AM

Am sorry, jus' don't recall as I am not very detail-oriented and it was about 12 years ago. I have a vague memory of something blue. If I ever happen to find it at my folks place, or run across what I think may be one like on Ebay or something, I'll let you know-

justfoundout
Posted on July 28 2009 10:01 AM

7/28/09
Dear RottieWoman,
That's okay. If you happen to remember a specific function that it had,... even if it wasn't your favorite function,... I might be able to figure out which one it was. I did customer support on TI calculators for a while. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on July 28 2009 10:01 AM

RottieWoman
Posted on July 28 2009 12:28 PM

Dear jus'

okay, I'll keep ya postedSmile

RottieWoman
Posted on July 28 2009 12:29 PM

thanks for your offer of helpSmile

Antler
Posted on December 11 2009 08:23 AM

Any kind of device that makes understanding the final amount or answer easier to comprehend......visual and spoken - even in robot language it would help!!! Mind you - getting to an answer is also a huge problem - and being able to approximate what the answer might be, (which non sufferers seem to be able to do) so that you can assess if you are nearly right...............mystery! Anything with a decimal point throws me totally!

I have sooooo much trouble, but having found information on the net about the symptoms and shown my spouse, a lot has fallen into place.

Does anyone know if Universities in the UK offer tests for dyscalculia? I know that Dyslexia is helped......

For years I just assumed I was thick - thank goodness I managed to find a way out - I am on course to apply to do a PhD next year!
Grin

justfoundout
Posted on December 11 2009 05:55 PM

12/11/09
Dear Antler,
A PhD is fantastic! I love to hear that, here on the forum. And you'll have to tell us more about your journey. Yes, there is testing in the UK. I'll be back to give you a couple of weblinks that I found, and other UK members could come along soon. - jus'

DorkyNerky
Posted on February 05 2010 04:21 AM

My TI-84 graphing calculator has helped me out a lot but it would be better I could hear it as well for it to sink into my brain as sometimes I write something completely different because like if its a long number 3.434444433444 I get confused and start switching them.

"I Am DYSCALCULIAC I AM NOT DUMB.
IF YOU THINK DYSCALCULIACS ARE DUMB HONEY YOU HAVE WORSE PROBLEMS THAN I DO!" LOLPfftGrinCoolPfftGrin Sign me, OneOutofOrderScrewball

Hahahhaha. Brilliant idea.
I dream of a better tomorrow...
Where chicken can cross raods and not have their motives questioned.

www.freewebs.com/aanikakreations
Pixie
Posted on April 05 2010 08:50 PM

I do that I spend ages typing in the question because I have to restart over and over again and then halfway through I forget which is the add or plus or something. When I get the answer I can't read it.
People always say that to me, why don't you use a calculator and I go I can't they just look at me like I'm an alien or something it's really fustrating.Angry

Kyla Dilla
Posted on April 06 2010 04:46 AM

Ooooh calculators drive me mad. but I find working around with a scientific calculator makes it a whole lot easier for me. Normal calculators that automatically add/minus/divide/multiply the numbers makes it hard to recheck the operation. Scientific calculators do not automatically add anything until you press enter and it saves me a lot of time when I want to recheck. The calculator I am currently using is a FX-570 ES Natural Display Scientific Calculator.

ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yLJpQFqAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It helped me a bunch since I am both dyslexic and dyscalculic. I actually recommend this calculator for kids or teens (i think adults would need a more powerful calculator for college and uni) : D

Jump to Forum: