Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 8

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,054
· Newest Member: directionallyimpaired

View Thread

The Dyscalculia Forum :: Other Dyscalculia Topics :: Dyscalculia Chat
 Print Thread
Calculator Woes
Lostinspatial
Posted on June 08 2008 04:30 PM

Apologies if this has already been covered, but if it's a home or office setting, how about an adding machine (with the little roll of paper)? Back when I had to work with invoices to submit them for payment, it helped me keep track of what had been added/subtracted, etc. That was back in the late 80s/early 90s though so there may be a more high tech solution.

Purvi923
Posted on July 15 2008 11:54 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm new here, so hope you don't mind, but I saw your posts and had to add something. Aside from calculators, do the keys on a computer keyboard versus that on a telephone ever confuse anyone besides me?
The keys on the phone keypad start with 1, 2, 3 and work themselves down as the numbes go up so that 7, 8, 9 are at the bottom, while on a computer keyboard, the numbers 1, 2, 3 start on the bottem and the 7, 8, 9 keys are on top. As if the numbers weren't confusing enough. This makes me get my 3s and 9s and my 4s and 7s mixed up all the time at work (when I constantly have to go back and forth between answering the phone and using the computerShock)
How does one overcome such a problem? Wish they would flip the keys on either the phones or the keyboards so that they all looked the same!

justfoundout
Posted on July 16 2008 02:39 AM

7/14/08
Dear Purvi923,
I know what you mean. It dawned on me that this was what was happening when I once tried to remember a friend's phone number by looking at the 10-key instead of the phone pad,... and realized that it was worthless for this purpose.

I've never done well on 10-key tests at staffing agencies, but a couple of weeks ago, I made a huge effort to tell myself that the 3 was at the bottom, and that the 6 is above it. For the first time, my speed suddenly shot up into the range where they can actually find a data entry job for me that requires "10-key".
justfoundout
Edited by justfoundout on July 16 2008 02:40 AM

JessicaC
Posted on August 26 2008 07:02 AM

OneOutofOrderScrooball wrote:
Fine for one problem but more than one problem . .?!Angry Let's see , did I type in the plus sign and oh the equal sign uhm I don't remember :ShockAngry! Start over Sad Concentrate Shock Add, subtract . . . .Oh no distractionShockAngry . Can't add or sutract with or without a calculator! AngryAs if being A.D.D and Dyscalculiac wasn't frustrating enough!!!ShockAngry Anyone else have this sort of difficulty usin a calculator? Sign me, OneOutofOrderScrewballPfft

sounds like the story of my life!
I found this thread because I was hoping there WAS a calculator for dyslcaculics.
I can't even get the right answer when I count on my fingers.

and Cem's idea sounds like it would work for me. but having ADD and Dyscalcula sure doesn't work well together. Is it common to have both? I have both as well as another learning disability NOS (not otherwise specified) I'm not really sure about what it is.. I'd have to look at my diagnostic report.

JessicaC
Posted on August 26 2008 07:41 AM

eoffg wrote:
Though if we add someone like Richard Branson, it will just make it more expensive? As he will want his percentage as well?
If Dyscalculics were only one percent of the population, perhaps we might need such support?
But Dyscalculics are at least eight percent of the population in the Western World, or hundreds of millions of people!
Hundreds of millions of potential Customers!
So if a company develops a Device just to suit Dyscalculics, then they have a large potential market. With no competition!

It needs to be realised, that Dyscalculics have the Power of the Money in their Pocket!
Where the basic principle is: You Buy= We Make!

We just need to tell them exactly what we want them to make!

So what other features do we want?
GeoffSmile

maybe we could expand the market by marketing it to not only dyscalculics but children who have difficulty with math, people with A.D.D only, and other disorders ?

Dulcy
Posted on August 27 2008 02:24 PM

Chalk me up for someone who wants the words written out instead of the numerals. The answer could be in regular numerals, but for the buttons, words would help.

Here's what I do when I have to use a calculator: I work the problem several times, writing down each answer. The number that keeps coming up the most often will probably be the right answer.

http://www.fivedollarmail.blogspot.com/
Norah
Posted on October 19 2008 02:40 PM

Dulcy wrote:
Chalk me up for someone who wants the words written out instead of the numerals. The answer could be in regular numerals, but for the buttons, words would help.

Yeah, that would be lovely. Also maybe a conversion option where it converts the written out words into numbers for you and vice versa.

---

Calculators help me a little bit, but not enough, because I keep entering the numbers wrong and such or copy down the answer wrong.

For me too it's like my brain can't really comprehend or process larger numbers. Basically anything from 100 up is hard. So I read, for example, 265 as 'two six five', not twohundred-and-sixtyfive. My birthyear is also 'one nine eight two' to me. And I mix up numbers below 100 as well as above, often seeing (for example) 67, somehow it becomes seventysix in my head, and I enter 76 into the calculator. It's therefore easier if I see numbers below 100 as '(for example) 'six seven' too, instead of sixtyseven.
-Norah-

http://blogwithoutatopic.web-log.nl
tammyk1
Posted on October 20 2008 07:29 PM

I have a 3 line led readout on my calculator and my tutor and teacher still bust me on the fact I get my numbers/signs mixed up. They are always crabbing at me to "look at the lines", but if you truly think or see 68 as 86, how is reading the lines going to help me?

But it would be nice to have some sort of calculator that could help us.

kdelleruk
Posted on October 22 2008 10:48 PM

Your thread made me laugh, I invested in one that shows you what you have imputed, that's good. Problem I have is that the more complicated equations need a good 'working memory', can do it one day but forget the process the following day. I would have to carry the manual around with me and that would just look stupid!! Grin

I'm training to be a nurse and am petrified about the mental maths I will have to do, gonna carry a small calculator around with me and hope that i don't lose it..so hail to the calculator

K

kdelleruk
Posted on October 22 2008 10:50 PM

did anyone ever do the thing of punching in numbers that make words when you turn them upside down? When I was a kid that really freaked me out as I used to reverse numbers and couldn't for the life of me get that right, well, I may have done for one day but it would be lost the next Smile

tammyk1
Posted on October 23 2008 05:03 AM

kdelleruk wrote:
Your thread made me laugh, I invested in one that shows you what you have imputed, that's good. Problem I have is that the more complicated equations need a good 'working memory', can do it one day but forget the process the following day. I would have to carry the manual around with me and that would just look stupid!! Grin

I'm training to be a nurse and am petrified about the mental maths I will have to do, gonna carry a small calculator around with me and hope that i don't lose it..so hail to the calculator

K

Thank goodness my teacher has the same calculator that I have owned for three years now, she teaches me almost everyday how to do things on it; I now have a page of notes just for my calculator!!! lol

KaffeineKid
Posted on December 20 2008 02:31 PM

Loving this thread having just found it.
Personally I would like a calculator that tells you when you are at thousands, then millions etc. Above 3 zero's and I have no idea. To make it worse for some bizarre reason my calculator at work has an option to add zero's and decimal points. WHY?! That just makes it a whole lot worse!

Avalon Swan
Posted on December 31 2008 03:14 AM

Hey all been away for awhile so pardon me if I restate something! My thoughts here are a palm pilot or tablet PC windows program in order to show formulas and long addition. This should be an easy program to get made. One note on cost thought, remember there was a movement for the $100.00 PC to give out to the poor of Africa. Had all the right T's crossed and I's dotted and yet it still failed to materialize as a product. So although a cheap version could be had in a palm pilot model, there will still be some intrinsic value that can not be overcome price wise. In any case a Discalculator program for hand held’s should not be to far of a stretch to make happen.
Avalon's Swan
Their's lies, Damned Lies and then their's Statisics! Some old river pilot

www.getgogator.com
als95
Posted on January 18 2009 04:26 PM

I can usually at least press the numbers on the calculator to make the problem and hit the equal sign, but I have trouble reading the answer because all the numbers look like eight because of those little lines that are only the slightest bit visible. Its also hard for me to read digital clocks because of those line things, too! As if it wasn't bad enough that I couldnt read a regular clock!

!!!*AMANdA*!!!

Bonnie
Posted on January 18 2009 05:09 PM

Learning Resources talking calculator is currently on sale

http://www.learni...culator.do

RottieWoman
Posted on January 18 2009 07:23 PM

I had a calculator in college that DVR bought for me that was specifically for people with mth LD - if I can remember what it's called, or ever come across it again, I'll put the info. up here.

Als95/AMANdA,
I too have problems reading traditional clocks. I do fine with digital ones. But I have never got in the habit of wearing a watch as I didn't learn to tell time til high school. I usually just ask people what the time is.

justfoundout
Posted on January 19 2009 05:43 AM

Dear Lostinspatial,
I just now saw your posting from June (above) and thought I'd offer a bit of information that I have from a couple of years ago. (This is nothing conclusive.) I worked for TI as customer service. I had to learn to use something like 18 different kinds of calculators. They were kept in a drawer beside me, and I had to pull them out sometimes to see what the customer on the phone was talking about. Well, there had been a model that was much beloved by many customers, and it was a calculator that produced a paper tape. The people who had used this model were inconsolable when theirs finally wore out and they found out that we didn't make them any more. Also, we didn't even make 'parts' for them any more. All I could do was go to the other side of the room where old, broken ones were kept in another huge drawer. If we had the little broken 'piece' in question, we would bundle it up and send it to them. You are correct. It was probably mass produced back in the 80's and 90's, and it worked just great according to everybody who had had one. I don't know why TI stopped making them.

The room with all the parts looked like something out of "Toy Story",... the sad little Macab mismatched toys. And I was likewise mismatched to the job. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on January 19 2009 05:45 AM

patana
Posted on February 02 2009 02:39 PM

Hi,

I have a 10 years daughter who was diagnosed with dyscalulia 3 years ago. She is in a international school which can provide all the help and curriculum she needs to deal with the problem with Maths.

Here in Portugal there is no much information about this disesase not even about dyslexia which is more talked.

My problem is I do not know how to help her! What shall I do?

ert
Posted on February 02 2009 03:46 PM

Hi Patana, welcome. Do you know why she is dyscalculic - I mean, is it because she mix numbers, can't understand them, can't find solutions to problems or something else?

http://www.facebook.com/mettechristoffersen
HouseMDfan110
Posted on April 14 2009 11:16 AM

The stupid calculator gives me results that are other worldly. I'm not joking, and that's just on a normal calculator. Give me a scientific calculator and that's when things get... I'd go as far as saying 'cruel'. You're certainly not alone.

Jump to Forum: