Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 7

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,054
· Newest Member: directionallyimpaired

View Thread

The Dyscalculia Forum :: Other Dyscalculia Topics :: Dyscalculia Chat
 Print Thread
Fantasies (no not that kind!)
Bubble
#1 Print Post
Posted on July 07 2006 04:37 PM

Hi all

Does anyone else ever sit in a room and just act out a fantasy that's in your head at the time? Or do you find that whenever you're alone you start to kind of "live" in your head?

This probably sounds weird and I bet no one else does it, but I do it all the time...... so I wondered if it is connected to my dyscalculia?

I'd be interested to know if anyone else does it.

*looks at post* oh god, did I just write that?
bubble
(Katie) Wink

Be different, it suits you

ert
#2 Print Post
Posted on July 07 2006 04:51 PM

!!!!

I do that all the time. I mean it. ALL the time. It's kind of like a storyboard, if you know what I mean? "Then I say this, then he says that, then she does that, then that happens"... And I react on what I'm thinking, so suddenly I'm laughing/looking angry or something like that, out of nowhere. Really embarrasing, sometimes - but mostly I do it when I'm alone. Sometimes I talk to myself while doing it - even more akward, because I'm not always aware of what I'm doing when I'm in the middle of a fantasy, as you call it - so sometimes, out of the blue, I "wake up" and wonder if I have said anything out loud or something like that. I don't think I actually talk out loud when I'm out in "public" that much, but I'm sure it has happened... Let's just say, I'm not really that surprised when I hear other people talk to themselfes.

If I watch something boring on tv or something like that, then suddenly I realise that I've been living in my head for the past 10 minutes and have no idea what has happened on the show I was watching - even though I've been staring at the screen. These "episodes" happen every day, but I have never counted or anything like that... But I've been doing it as far back as I can remember. "Zoning out" is a symptom of ADD/ADHD, and having these "episodes" have made me wonder many times if I have ADD/ADHD... I haven't been tested. Not sure I want to, right now.

I know that people daydream, everybody does that. But I've always felt that "daydreaming" was a bad word for what I was doing... Daydreaming is more... Well, more "less" than what I'm doing, this storyboard-thing of mine, in my head. I think.
Edited by ert on July 07 2006 04:58 PM

http://www.facebook.com/mettechristoffersen
Bubble
#3 Print Post
Posted on July 07 2006 06:34 PM

I'm so pleased it's not just me!!
That's exactly what i do!

Like you say though, not really worried about getting tested for ADD/ADHD. Sometimes people hear me but i'm not too bothered about that. Wow.......
bubble
(Katie) Wink

Nicola
#4 Print Post
Posted on July 07 2006 07:42 PM

I do that too!!! At school it just used to be called "daydreaming" Grin

But oh yeah, I frequently create, I suppose the only way to describe them, is mini-films, with me starring of course Grin and full scripts etc. I always thought it was just because I have a vivid imagination...!

But I know it unnerves my partner, particularly if we're watching something on TV or he's talking to me and I just... drift off to another world... Pfft

elle
#5 Print Post
Posted on July 07 2006 07:46 PM

okaaaay, either this is dyscalculia related or we are coincidentally quirky in the same way! i do this too, a little too often in my opinion. i play out all sorts of scenarios in my head. maybe i'm developing ADD/ADHD as an adult. is that possible? i thought it was just a lack of B vitamins! Pfft

Bubble
#6 Print Post
Posted on July 07 2006 08:23 PM

SmileI think we do this because we felt rejected from the "normal" world.

What does everyone else think?
bubble
(Katie) Wink

ert
#7 Print Post
Posted on July 07 2006 08:48 PM

Yeah, mini-films with complete scripts, that's what it is.

I don't know why I do it. I've always wondered how I could be able to create crazy stories in my mind, but not be able to put it down on paper, or something like that - you know, actually USE it for something. You know when you're a kid, you go through some years where you play a lot of role games (playing house - mom, dad - or playing cowboy/indians, all that) - but I never really did that. I felt akward and silly doing it, with other people. But in my head, I made up the weirdest things. I just couldn't/can't "get them out" and use them for anything in the practical world, most of the time.

I guess we need input from non-dyscalculics - do other people do this too, to this degree?

eoffg
#8 Print Post
Posted on July 08 2006 05:50 AM

Administrator

That's where I live to?
Though I would suggest that it is Creative Thinking?
Sad

Bubble
#9 Print Post
Posted on July 08 2006 07:04 AM

eoffg wrote:
That's where I live to?
Though I would suggest that it is Creative Thinking?
Sad

So if you're not good at drawing/art, is this a dyscalculic's way of being creative?
bubble
(Katie) Wink

eoffg
#10 Print Post
Posted on July 08 2006 11:11 AM

Administrator

Hi BubbleSmile,
As a Visual Artist, their is no such thing as 'not good at drawing/art'!

Whilst I think of Drawing / Art as creative expression?
You perhaps raise the other side of Drawing, where we 'look at something and then draw it'?
Which of course directly relates to Visual Spatial Dyscalculia?

To draw something that you are looking at, you need to look at it, then capture an image of it in your mind. Which then becomes your reference as you look across to your paper and pencil.
Then to start drawing it?
But if the image in your mind of what you were looking at, has disappeared by the time you shift your eyes across to the paper?
Then you have lost your reference?
Bubble thanks for bringing this to my attention!
I have been trying to develop some simple exercises for Members with Visual Spatial Dyscalculia, to develop visualisation skills?
Where Drawing Exercises would be a perfect way to approach it!

But then you wrote:"So if you're not good at drawing/art, is this a dyscalculic's way of being creative?"
Where what I wrote above, refers to a Visual Thinking process.
Yet Dyscalculics are generally Verbal Thinkers?
Who dont create a visual image of what they are thinking.
But instead, do it with words rather than pictures.

Where what is now defined as Dyscalculia, is what I would suggest a difficulty coping with a Maths System designed by and suited to Visual Thinkers.
Yet on the other side, are Dyslexics, who are generally Visual Thinkers.
Who have great difficulty with a written language system designed by Verbal Thinkers?
So their is this ongoing struggle?
GeoffSad

karalyeva2
#11 Print Post
Posted on August 13 2006 05:48 AM

Oh man, I do that all the time. People think I'm crazy because sometimes I'll be sitting on public transportation doing just that, and my mouth will move into the words that I am saying, or that one of my characters is saying, in my "fantasy world", and people look at me very strangely, lol. But yes. All the time. I originally thought everybody did that, but according to my mother, I'm the only one she knows who does that. Glad I'm not just a weird kid!! Smile Not sure why this is a recurring theme within all of us, I've been doing it since I was a little kid, before I was diagnosed with a math disability. So for me at least, I doubt it has to do with being socially outcasted, it must be the different brain wiring. Interesting subject, bubble. Pretty icon, by the way!
Lara

ert
#12 Print Post
Posted on August 13 2006 09:38 PM

Maybe this should be the next poll? Because no one has written that they DON'T do this, so maybe it really IS something most dyscalculics do?

But then we would have to find out if non-dyscalculics do it too... Hmm, how can we do that...

mermaid23
#13 Print Post
Posted on August 14 2006 06:32 PM

I think I lived most of my life in my head! Ha ha! When I was growing up I was totally not living in reality at all! I think it goes allong with that whole female ADHD/LD daydreamer steriotype.

But seriously, I am a very introspective person. I always try to think about things in a 100 different ways. I will often get lost in my thoughts. I have learned how to regulate this throughout the years. I am much more able to control this now then when I was a child.

http://mermaid23.livejournal.com/profile
karalyeva2
#14 Print Post
Posted on August 14 2006 07:01 PM

Well, this is very interesting because my mother has told me that she thinks it is odd that I do this. She doesn't know anybody else who does it--and neither do I, except all of you Smile So I have a feeling that this may be a feature of dyscalculia. But I wonder why? What is it about our minds that allows us to make up scripts and scenarios in our heads? Anyone have any ideas?
Lara

mermaid23
#15 Print Post
Posted on August 15 2006 01:09 AM

karalyeva2 wrote:
Well, this is very interesting because my mother has told me that she thinks it is odd that I do this. She doesn't know anybody else who does it--and neither do I, except all of you Smile So I have a feeling that this may be a feature of dyscalculia. But I wonder why? What is it about our minds that allows us to make up scripts and scenarios in our heads? Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe it is our fabulous imaginations? Creativity?

I have heard that dyslexics et al have more intense dreams than 'normal' people as well - colour, flying, smells, etc... I think maybe it is tied into the way we experience things and our creativity etc

http://mermaid23.livejournal.com/profile
seeta_ji
#16 Print Post
Posted on August 17 2006 04:47 PM

OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH!!! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE! I do that all the time!! Wow!ShockShockShockShock

I can almost say that I literally live in my head, I often think that my dreams can never comes true, and it makes me depressed. Or sometimes when i'm sad, daydreaming of a better outcome kinda conforts me........am I going mad??? hope that's not a signSad

But just recently some of my dreams did come true, a certain special "guy" came into my lifeWinkWinkWinkCool
They laugh at me because I'm different...I laugh at them because they're all the SAME!
...*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*...
~*Seeta*~

karalyeva2
#17 Print Post
Posted on August 17 2006 05:29 PM

Oooooh Seeta, a special guy! Nice! Smile
Lara

Darwin
#18 Print Post
Posted on August 24 2006 05:33 PM

I, too, often slip into my mind and drift away. It's weird, though, because I excel at a sort of multi-tasking, that my brain is moving at a billion miles per nanosecond with uncountable thoughts, and yet part of me just slows down and "experiences" these daydreams... add to that the fact that I'm still aware of the real world, and can almost always respond (whilst retaining the very real, detailed dreamworld in my head).

I've always thought it was a technique developed from losing myself in the books I read. I'm the kind of person who cannot be disturbed once I get involved in a book. Well, my wife throws things at me to get my attention, but other than that, it's really hard to break me away from my "escape."

Of course, I think my self-created escapes are of a lesser variety because I CAN break away from them with ease.

I don't know. I have absolutely no basis for comparison, because the vast majority of how I am does not exist in other people. I'm either a genius, or completely insane. How does one tell the difference? Smile

http://www.myspace.com/darwin420
ursina hack-maclellan
#19 Print Post
Posted on September 01 2006 08:33 AM

hi everybody
this is truly amazing. this is like some club of soul mates that hitherto only existed in my head.yes me too. done it all my life.as a child i was always the main character in my head stories and i beleaved them so much, that i was being them.in school this interfered with concentration of course but when you think about it, i as doing pretty well concidering the kind of tasks i had to fullfill as a character in my stories. i mean, who's got time for multiplications when your busy sailing the seven seas and hunting for treasure.but i also think it's a kind of protection from the ugliness of the world. a coping mechanism.i still do it even now.if things aren't going well i disappear into stories, books,poetry.i make up these utopias.new ways for humans to live together in communities of my design.the other thing i do is what neo pagans term pathworking.which is going into a sort of sacred space in your mind, designed by your mind.you go there by walking /journeying to it slowly, getting away from reality to a calm place where you can think in peace,where it is possible to ask questions and have them answered truthfully,depending on your beliefs, either by god/gods/godesses or your deep godself.many people who try pathworking find it exreemely hard to do.to me it was a piece of cakeand pehaps this is indeed due to being dyscalculic.and i always felt that the answers i got came from myself, but that i could only ascess this information, by going into myself.

Saeria
#20 Print Post
Posted on September 26 2006 11:19 AM

I've been daydreaming and my inner life is vast and ever expanding. I can dream the weirdest and most intense dreams that sometimes even shock myself. It's been like that for as long as I can remember.

Jump to Forum: