Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

The Dyscalculia Forum :: Other Dyscalculia Topics :: Dyscalculia Chat
 Print Thread
Fantasies (no not that kind!)
Lostinspatial
Posted on June 24 2008 12:57 AM

lol Grin

Numb
Posted on June 24 2008 05:50 PM

Wow that's crazy, i daydream ALL THE TIME, especially in class!
I'll space out into my own little zone and play sceniro's and scences in my head, it's almost like a movie and I'm the main character in it. I'll daydream at the most random times to, whether it's doing simple tasks or doing something really complicated. When i listen to music i zone out even more and depending on what song I'm listening to I'll play a music video in my head to go along with the song as weird as that sounds.

To most people on the outside it just looks like I'm staring at a spot on the wall or at the sky but really I'm just lost in my own little world. I'm aware of my surroundings but i don't pay much attention to them.

So no your definately not alone Smile

Edited by Numb on June 24 2008 05:52 PM

Tigerfeet
Posted on June 26 2008 09:58 PM

I daydreamed in this manner from a very young age and continue to do so to this day. My other half often asks me what I'm staring at, and all I can lamely say is, oh I was thinking about an idea I had - and half the time I'm off in some fantasy world. I have six to eight fairly developed ideas for graphic novels, which is my preferred method of getting these things out into the real world - but sure as shootin' once one comes out, another pops up to take its place!

I once did this in the cinema, a certain scene played out and I got lost in the what-ifs my brain threw up - what-if the weapons didn't work that way, they worked THIS way instead... I have no idea what the film was about now but I came out brimming with these thoughts and talked my dear partner's ear off in the car all the way home; that's about an hour and a half drive. He just looked at me and said "WHERE do these ideas come from." I wish I knew, but things just take on a life of their own inside my head! I quite often make up music videos to go with songs too Numb, and I'm sometimes disappointed when I see the real thing!!

I can't imagine not doing it, in fact if someone took the ability away from me I would feel impoverished. It's a facility which helps me immensely in both my relation and empathy with others (by being readily able to put myself in their place) and provides an easy release for my creative urges. Grin

Del1964
Posted on June 29 2008 10:30 PM

and I thought it was that I was a dreamy pisces ~ I've got no chance then have I !!!! Pisces and dyscalculia what a combination ! Shock

Mezzi
Posted on July 10 2008 01:09 PM

OH my gosh, I was just reading all this. I have SUCH a vivid imagination. I have a friend who is the same and sometimes we get started on the phone, imagining all sorts of stories. Because we both have crazy humour, there have been so many times I have fallen off my seat with tears down my face, rolling on the floor laughing as our imaginations take our stories into the funniest situations. We both dream heaps too. Sometimes I don't like my imagination because now that I have a family I can worry about them too much because it is easy for me to imagine. My daughter is on her way home right now from a very dangerous country and I had to try really hard not to imagine anything but good things when she was there. I like it best when I can imagine funny stories, and I sometimes find myself talking out loud too, or pulling faces and hope no-one sees me. One day I was driving around a corner pulling a face as I was in a story in my mind. Then I noticed people in a car coming towards me were laughing at me. Cringe. Imagine if we all got together and produced a movie. It would be THE BEST.

heather21
Posted on July 14 2008 05:11 PM

o0o
Edited by heather21 on July 17 2008 08:27 PM

RacheyB
Posted on July 23 2008 12:03 AM

Yeah, absolutley, so real too, mine tend to be of what i should have done in responce to something. I have to stop myself from day dreaming or what ever you want to call it, cus its a bummer when you come back into reality and get dissapointed.

Tessy
Posted on August 02 2008 02:46 AM

Yeah, absolutley, so real too, mine tend to be of what i should have done in responce to something. I have to stop myself from day dreaming or what ever you want to call it, cus its a bummer when you come back into reality and get dissapointed.

That's a good way to put what I do too. I daydream but it's not vivid or visually fancy or creative. I daydream about conversations.

linda
Posted on August 18 2008 11:07 AM

To turn off and on is something I do so well...it is a survival thing....I love the things that others say oh thats not real..but what is real when words and numbers elude one. The world is words and numbers where do I fit in...I fit in to fantasy..thats my world..heres a link have fun...what do you think star wars freaks..? lol G "you tube" type in "blossomgoodchild" in the search bar and watch "The Federation of Lights" message to the world. Check out her website as well..we may be more open minded than those who find access to words and numbers easier than us...I'd love to go for a ride would you..hehehehe... Wink

Dulcy
Posted on August 27 2008 04:16 PM

Not only do I do it, but I can't turn it off.The inside of my head is so noisy and chaotic I have trouble forcing myself to focus sometimes. I catch myself actually on verge of speaking things aloud I dont' mean to.

Glass of wine helps. Obviously, you can't do that in school. Music, the "storyboards" others have mentioned, prose, poetry, misc. creative ideas, etc. I wish I had a nickle for every time I've been chewed out for "daydreaming" in class as a kid.

Well, on the bright side, at least I am NEVER, EVER bored. Grin
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?"
The Summer Day by Mary Oliver

http://www.fivedollarmail.blogspot.com/
Lostinspatial
Posted on August 27 2008 06:20 PM

Dulcy wrote:
Not only do I do it, but I can't turn it off.The inside of my head is so noisy and chaotic I have trouble forcing myself to focus sometimes. I catch myself actually on verge of speaking things aloud I dont' mean to.

Glass of wine helps. Obviously, you can't do that in school. Music, the "storyboards" others have mentioned, prose, poetry, misc. creative ideas, etc. I wish I had a nickle for every time I've been chewed out for "daydreaming" in class as a kid.

Well, on the bright side, at least I am NEVER, EVER bored. Grin

Yes, that is true! And just think if we followed through on patents for all of the stuff we daydreamed about. I have serious directional issues, so in addition to my navigator, I call friends/family I'm visiting to review directions. Sometimes they conflict and I'd love to have an online based system where I could program my own directions & feed them to the navigator. I drive on my own a lot so the voice is helpful because it allows me to keep my eyes on the road (instead of looking at instructions). I've named mine Chris after St. Christopher.

thespazzgirl
Posted on September 20 2008 02:18 AM

I do that all the time! I never know what to call it, though, so I just classify it under daydreaming. Sometimes the story I'm acting out in my head is so powerful I only see and hear what I'm "daydreaming" about. That often causes problems during class Grin

Dulcy
Posted on September 29 2008 02:31 PM

Man. Since I started writing again, the film in my head is ramped up into high gear. I'm talking hard core, I'd almost forgotten about this.

It's almost overpowering. Details, conversations, plotlines, point of views for scenes, just running like a noisy, out of control chaos in my head.

Last night I drank a bunch of Patron and stayed up till 2am writing. I couldn't stop. I don't think I could have gotten to sleep if I hadn't been slightly inebriated and almost falling down with fatigue.

That happens sometimes. Couple years ago, I built a full scale "gypsy wagon" (confession # 454678. I tell fortunes in "Renn Faire" type settings. ) I couldn't sleep for months, the entire time I was working on it my head was spinning with "How can we attach the lower walls, how can we waterproof the canvas, if I attach the bedrame to the seats, can I fold it up? What color should I paint the walls? How can I make a set of stairs?" Seriously, it was like being buffetted by a pack of small children 24-7.

My muse seems to have a problem where he can't shut up, even for a minute. Grin (hey, it's my muse, he can be a dude).

justfoundout
Posted on September 29 2008 03:22 PM

9/29/08
Dear Dulcy,
I've had tinnitus since 1996. I woke up with it one morning, went to three doctors, and have been living with it ever since. I'm pasting a link here for you to watch an artsy film that a young woman made on having this affliction. The woman is deaf - just warning you, so you'll know why she talks the way she does. Dulcy, I hope that the link opens up the video on tinnitus that I'm trying to paste here. Yesterday, I sent this link to a friend and was mortified to see that the link I had pasted didn't bring up the right video (you get the picture). So, please be sure that it's a deaf woman filming about tinnitus. I don't expect that our dyscalculia films would all be like this. It's just one more 'option' that we could use to reach people.

I'll have to email this video directly to anyone who wants to watch it. Please send me a PM and I'll do this. Sorry.

Okay, well, since it finally 'opened' for Dulcy, I'll put a link back here, on the forum. Click on the link in the paragraph entitled Tinnitus - Film.
http://www.skepti...php?t=2522

I love your posts. Keep them coming for us.
- justfoundout
Edited by justfoundout on September 29 2008 04:50 PM

Dulcy
Posted on September 29 2008 03:35 PM

Oh, the link doesn't work. Sad Showing that vid is no longer available.

Edit: Oops, no, there it is. Huh. I'm gonna go watch it now.

Thanks, I will keep them coming. My muse is not the only one who can't shut up. Wink
Edited by Dulcy on September 29 2008 03:42 PM

Dulcy
Posted on September 29 2008 03:46 PM

Okay, wow. Yeah, that was intense.

You know, I had a short bout with the ringing after my daughter screamed so loudly into my ear it just about brought me to my knees. Thank God the pain and ringing did go away after about a week. I dont' know how someone copes with that long term.

I have two friends with tinnitus. One of them sleeps with headphones on to help drown out the ringing.

At least my noise (and pictures) are not unpleasant, and can be useful, if a little tiring. I mean, I don't feel like I'm suffering from it. Guess I'm lucky that way.
Edited by Dulcy on September 29 2008 03:46 PM

justfoundout
Posted on October 05 2008 02:53 AM

10/4/08
I need to put a disclaimer here before I post what I've found. Dulcy, what I'm about to post had nothing whatsoever to do with your postings or the discussion that you and I have been having on this thread about tinnitus. And it may not even have anything to with what anybody else has posted on this Thread. It's just a "for what it's worth" piece of information.

Today I was reading in a book at the Public Library. It's called DSM-IV and it's the book that psychologists use to "diagnose" people. On page 811 is the Glossary of Specific Defense mechanisms and Coping Styles. That's where I happened upon this listing that I think belongs here on this Thread. So for information only, I present this QUOTE:

"autistic fantasy The individual deals with emotional conflict or internal or external stressors by excessive daydreaming as a substitute for human relationships, more effective action, or problem solving."
END QUOTE

That's all folks. - justfoundout

ert
Posted on October 06 2008 12:14 AM

justfoundout, but this version of fantasy, the DSM-IV autistic fantasy, is still a LONG way from where we are, if we are not diagnosed with autism, aspergers or NLD, and otherwise have pretty normal (whatever that may be) social skills.

I have worked with autistic children, and some live in a fantasy world. One kid had a rich social life, but with people that don't exist, in his own head. He had conversations out loud, got extremely scared from time to time because the people in his head did bad things etc. etc.

It's hard to explain when you haven't seen it in real life. But as a dyscalculic with extreme day dreaming/fantasies, and kids like him to compare with, I can certainly say that it is nothing like an autistic fantasy. Again, if you otherwise relate to people in a pretty normal way and is not diagnosed with any sort of autism.

http://www.facebook.com/mettechristoffersen
Norah
Posted on October 19 2008 03:01 PM

I have always played out stories in my head, both fantasies and stories that could be turned into, like, fantasy books, and the autistic thing (to work out problems, get to grips with things, define what I'm thinking and feeling about something, etc.) of which the definition was posted one or two posts or so back.

The earliest I can recall is when I was about 3-4 years old. So I assume I was doing it before then too, but before that I just don't have very clear memories, more like scattered images or sounds or sensations.

The story in my head is something I, for myself, see as the same story and world over and over, but I guess in reflection, it has changed a lot, as I grew. I also now use different settings and characters, but to me it's still more or less the same story, and there are certain key elements that define this.
There are a few places where it's easiest and nicest to jump into my story, like in bed, while in a train or car, and unfortunately, during class Grin. But I take any other opportunity too, if I'm not doing something else.
-Norah-

http://blogwithoutatopic.web-log.nl
MonkeyFeathers
Posted on November 08 2008 02:53 AM

Hey! Omg! I do that ALL the time! I thought i was the only one who did that!
I usually don't do it on purpose. I'm just thinking about something and the story happens! It's how i deal with stress. I just go into my fantasy world until the stress is gone. I usually have characters from books, movies, Tv shows, Etc. Or my 'alter ego' as the main person. I'm just glad I'm not crazy!
~MonkeyFeathers =]

Jump to Forum: