Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 3

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

The Dyscalculia Forum :: Other Dyscalculia Topics :: Dyscalculia Chat
 Print Thread
Fantasies (no not that kind!)
Flightless_Bird
Posted on September 27 2009 10:14 PM

I do this all the time, I thought I was the only one. I'm so relieved that this is not the caseGrin.

teecobug
Posted on September 29 2009 11:25 PM

hello bubble!
ALL. THE. TIME! and all my friends think im crazy becos i was aparently soposed to "out grow" my imaginary friends a LONG time ago.... but no. there still hear talking with me. and i talk to them to! and when i sit in a room by myself and act out a fantasy or something, they help! its fun Grin i dont know if its related to dyscalculia.... mine is probably from my dyslexia and EXTREAMLY active imagination.
~teeco Smile

Xorthon
Posted on October 16 2009 06:59 PM

i do the same thing except sometimes i'll do it with books too!
i'll act out what happened in the book Cool
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. - Confucius
Shock Xorthon Shock

Josephine
Posted on November 17 2009 12:15 AM

Hey... I've only just joined this forum and I can't explain the comfort I have got from reading this thread.

I'm currently in my final year at university studying English language and I.T. I have had huge difficulties with maths for as long as I can remember. I struggle with many aspects including; giving correct change, telling the time on analogue clocks, dates of birth (regarding working out a personís age) and mental arithmetic. Last semester we did a module on computer programming which I found extremely difficult which I feared could have been related to my difficulties regarding math.

There are many more aspects that I struggle with that affect my everyday life though I have never been diagnosed with Dyscalculia simply because I had never heard of it until an interesting programme on BBC Radio 4.

I have always had the 'play-board' sort of scenario since childhood and mainly do this when I'm on my own. I seem to zone out from my ordinary mindset and lose track of time thinking about a certain issue and then suddenly find I am talking it out loud without even realising. It always seems to relate to something that is on my mind at the time and usually involves me discussing things out loud and playing scenarios out. Most of the time I don't even know if I take in what I am actually saying.

It was so interesting to read this thread. I would be interested to know how and where I can be professionally tested for Dyscalculia?

I just want people to recognise that it's not that I am stupid; it's that it is a condition I have no control over.

Josie Smile

RottieWoman
Posted on November 17 2009 02:39 PM

hey there, Josie!

check out British Dyscalculia Assocation section on this forum, an idea admin. and others have had to start to provide more support for folks from there; also check out any threads relating to getting diagnosed. Am in U.S. so don't have much info. for you there but I do know that one an get tested at any age, either through an independent testing service or with help of school/university system. I was tested and diagnosed at about 19, in my second year of college <university>, after continually failing remedial college math. Division of Vocational Rehab, which assists w/funds for college, job prep./placement for people with disabilities, paid for it and I went through Disabled Student Services Office at my university.

justfoundout
Posted on November 17 2009 09:23 PM

11/17/09
Dear josephine,
I was tested by an Educational Psychologist with a Ph D. I'm in the DFW area of TX. If you are near me, I'd love for you to be tested by my doctor. He does a great job on everybody I've met who he has tested.

I'm guessing that you are in the US. I have to leave now for my college classes, but please do tell us at least what state you are in. We'll help you however we can. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on November 17 2009 09:23 PM

monim87
Posted on November 18 2009 12:03 AM

omg I'm reading everyones reply, and I feel just like every single one of you, haha i remember daydreaming since i was 5. I probably daydream every single day!!!!!!!! This has to be one of the symptoms lol, I cannot be alone before i start, haha I used to daydream when i walked home, or now in my car lol, or before i go to sleep I can't sleep bc I'm to busy dreaming awake!! haha i can't believe there's others like me, I thought I was just weird.

ragdoll
Posted on November 21 2009 10:58 PM

Well I'm glad I'm not alone...Thanks that really helps. I just joined so pardon all the newbieness. I thought I was a bit of a freak. Now I think I'm in good company.Wink

justfoundout
Posted on November 21 2009 11:41 PM

11/21/09
Dear ragdoll,
If you'd like, go ahead and start your own Thread in the Introductions section. There everyone can find you so that each one can greet you. If you don't mind, tell us your general location. This is an international forum, so we can't tell for sure if you are in the U.S., the U.K., or visiting China for that matter. - jus'

ChanceFlagg
Posted on December 01 2009 11:46 PM

I do that all the time! I don't know if it is connected to dyscalculia (I haven't even been diagnosed yet..) but I do daydream all the time about different things.
I dont think its unusal for people to imagine scenarios in their minds. I know my friends and I do that just for laughs, and I am fairly certain the majority of them do not have learning disablilities. Smile

No fear! You are not alone! Wink
.::EnjoyLife::.

Nissa
Posted on December 02 2009 09:25 PM

Me too! I often get lost in daydreaming, especially when I'm doing mundane things, like getting ready for bed. I'll be standing there, washing my face, and I'll realize that I have no idea if I've brushed my teeth or not, so I have to check my toothbrush to see if it's wet.Grin

Echelon
Posted on December 03 2009 07:10 AM

Everyone does this:-) It's called day dreaming.

twistedxkiss
Posted on December 03 2009 10:08 AM

I do that literally constantly, I can't function otherwise.

EarlyWarning
Posted on December 08 2009 08:37 PM

I know exactly what your talking about.. *sigh* i'm around family now. Wink

and it is sooo NOT!! DAYDREAMING! I could truly live in my own thoughts... In my own created realities. They're like mini movies that come to life in your head... and you can wacth them or participate in them. Wink
this is not day dreaming.. you have to be bale to do it, to understand.. and i'm so thankful someone made a thread for this.. i tried to stop doing it because i thought it was just daydreaming.. but i seriously have problems functioning without spending a few nights of the week living in my head..
You May not Live, But you will Die.

cleancheeks
Posted on December 29 2009 10:27 AM

Whenever I listen to music, I can see like random crazy characters singing the songs of what im listening to.

CrimsonStar
Posted on January 25 2010 11:59 AM

Hey all! *Brand New* I just signed up and am happy to be here. I laughed so hard when read this post. It's mostly b/c it's vividly familiar. I do this ALL the time. Often, my brain is heavy with traffic and I feel like I'm going to pop if I don't release my thoughts so, frequently I end up talking to myself aloud and is followed by a colorful arrangement of facial expressions and gestures when I'm alone. I've done this all my life and still do it now at the ripe old age of 25. lol Some times it's fantasy, but often it's things I've experienced and are bothering me. I use to feel crazy and even strange, but after reading this, I feel just fine. I feel like I belong to a secret club of kindred spirits. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. *Hugs self*

Kyla Dilla
Posted on January 25 2010 12:33 PM

Hi CrimsonStar and welcome to the forum.

Haha. Omg yes I talk to myself too with facial expressions and gestures. Haha. Its rather funny when I am in the middle of talking to myself and someone just looks at me like a freak. xD

There were also times I were "acting" scene's and events, spontaneously when I overly think of it. Happy and sad one that I am really emotionally attached too. For example there was a day when I was home alone, I started acting like I was answering a call from my handphone, and having a conversation with my bestfriend. It was my 2 minutes of pure happiness haha!

Awwww... warm and fuzzy inside Smile
Edited by Kyla Dilla on January 25 2010 12:33 PM

CrimsonStar
Posted on January 25 2010 01:47 PM

I think what really happens is we have those moments in life where either our brain is too busy with information or something happens that catches us off gaurd. In those moments, we aren't prepared to say what we want or it isn't the proper time. Later on, when we think about those cirrcumstances, they begin to bother us, the thoughts and feelings begin bubble over and we act out the way to wanted to when the moment first arrived. Hope that makes sense or is it just me?

There have been times when I zone completely out while driving, I mean completely! I will be completely unware of anything and everything that's going around me. Interestlingly, I will function perfectly behind the wheel. From the moment I zone out until I'm almost at my destination or somestimes immediately after I pull into the designated parking spot, I'll snap out of it. However, I won't remember anything that happened in between. It's almost as if and my subconscious brain gets control and takes the wheel while my conscious brain takes a vacation and has a nap in the backseat. lol
Remember: The light you attempt to shine upon others is NEVER as bright as the light you inadvertantly shine upon yourself.

DorkyNerky
Posted on February 03 2010 02:00 AM

Every single song I hear has its own little music video in my head. A friend once jokingly told me I had schizoid personality disorder and I couldn't help but agree (haven't been tested though).

Does anyone else watch the tv show " Scrubs"? I think its a pretty good example of daydreaming. I'm pretty much an obsessed maniac when it comes to how much I love J.D.'s daydreams.
I dream of a better tomorrow...
Where chicken can cross raods and not have their motives questioned.

www.freewebs.com/aanikakreations
argentnox
Posted on February 11 2010 06:48 AM

I practically live that way! I cannot go to sleep unless I let my mind wander and create its own little fantasy. I burst into laughter (or express other emotions) all of the time because of what is going on in my head. My husband has finally learned to cease looking at me like I am crazy. Hehe.
8 + 1x = 0.04x IS the same as 8 + 1x = 0.4x, I swear it is! (And I had to check this 5 times to make sure I had written that [in]correctly!)

Jump to Forum: