Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,048
· Newest Member: Nicki Holmes

View Thread

The Dyscalculia Forum :: Other Dyscalculia Topics :: Dyscalculia Chat
 Print Thread
Fantasies (no not that kind!)
Samantha
Posted on October 05 2011 08:58 AM

squeakymonster wrote:
As of late, I've been dreaming in multiple senses: touch, audio, visual, and smell. It's been kind of interesting, though sometimes, rather annoying, because I react in my dreams and wake up in a bad position, and after being in a neck brace as the result of a car accident last year, I've been rather sore. The dreams are usually pretty pleasant, but I do wish I didn't have the touch part, as I think my neck would do better. :/

Yeah, I have it where I will be dreaming about eating a burger, and I wake up, and i have been knawing on my hands, it never bleeds, because I wake up after ten seconds of doing so. I used to think I was an insomniac, but apparently, its a symptom of dyscalculia Sad
Smile

RottieWoman
Posted on October 05 2011 12:45 PM

hi Samantha!
thanks for sharing your dream with us. Does it seem scary or anything when you wake up after that?
more HUGS-
Edited by RottieWoman on October 05 2011 12:46 PM

Samantha
Posted on October 05 2011 07:32 PM

eoffg wrote:
That's where I live to?
Though I would suggest that it is Creative Thinking?
Sad
I think its because we cant do things in our head, like when i am doing math... I use my fingers, I act everything out, mental math is the worst for me, so maybe, what im thinking is that we need to stress realese, vent, and we cant do things in our head, so we act them out without realising, cos I do the EXACT same thing ALL the time ARRHH Smile
Smile

Samantha
Posted on October 05 2011 08:55 PM

karalyeva2 wrote:
Oh man, I do that all the time. People think I'm crazy because sometimes I'll be sitting on public transportation doing just that, and my mouth will move into the words that I am saying, or that one of my characters is saying, in my "fantasy world", and people look at me very strangely, lol. But yes. All the time. I originally thought everybody did that, but according to my mother, I'm the only one she knows who does that. Glad I'm not just a weird kid!! Smile Not sure why this is a recurring theme within all of us, I've been doing it since I was a little kid, before I was diagnosed with a math disability. So for me at least, I doubt it has to do with being socially outcasted, it must be the different brain wiring. Interesting subject, bubble. Pretty icon, by the way!
omgomgomgomg! I do that exact thing! I mouth the words that I am thinking about, and I also to hand movements as if I am having a conversation!! glad I'm not retarded! Smile
Smile

Samantha
Posted on October 05 2011 08:58 PM

RottieWoman wrote:
hi Samantha!
thanks for sharing your dream with us. Does it seem scary or anything when you wake up after that?
more HUGS-
Yeah, sometimes. But sometimes I even wake up crying (i had been crying in my sleep) And when im under alot of stress, I tend to wake up in strange places, Like outside on the driveway (sleepwalking) And my mum, when she was 11 (like me) said that she used to run away from her home in her sleep!! Do you do the same?
Smile

Samantha
Posted on October 05 2011 09:02 PM

seeta_ji wrote:
OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH!!! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE! I do that all the time!! Wow!ShockShockShockShock

I can almost say that I literally live in my head, I often think that my dreams can never comes true, and it makes me depressed. Or sometimes when i'm sad, daydreaming of a better outcome kinda conforts me........am I going mad??? hope that's not a signSad

But just recently some of my dreams did come true, a certain special "guy" came into my lifeWinkWinkWinkCool
Yeah, I agree, I used to hate being the way I am, but now, I cant think of ANYTHING worse than being like everyone else, and also, Dyscalculiacs are way more creative than anyone, because the math part of our brain is so bad, that Our creative side has to make up for it. dyscalculiac, AND PROUD!! Grin
Smile

InkedMouse
Posted on December 14 2011 07:19 AM

I'm always living in my imagination. Makes it hard to sleep sometimes, and I find myself going back constantly. I was always told I had a very strong imagination. But it will serve me well in my future career! I figure if I cant stop it, use it to my benefit.
Cool
I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
Mark Twain.

RottieWoman
Posted on December 14 2011 03:40 PM

I think imagination can give us courage and resilience.
The trick is finding balance...it can be difficult

TheGreyMan
Posted on December 14 2011 08:45 PM

Great thread. I wanted to chime in here not for any particular fantasy as there are too many to get into in one post Wink but to say that I am now thankful for my vivid imagination. I was not always so thrilled with it though... I grew up as an only child waaaay out in the country - no other kids to play with. As a result I think my imagination kind of developed a little more than maybe it should have, and as i grew into a teenager I was seen as just a little "weird". Now the company I work for has also commented on how "weird" my thinking is, but they really like it because it gets them out of a jam every now and again.

So again, fantastic thread!
Grey

Unnoticed since the '90s

RottieWoman
Posted on December 15 2011 02:10 AM

Hi Grey,

also - only child here, too.
as a kid and even going into my early teens, I did a lot of imaginative play with stuffed animals, and plastic animal models, and wrote little stories.
"Thinking outside the box" can be great in a job if the employers are open-minded.

CrossingInStyle
Posted on January 24 2012 04:57 AM

I loved reading these posts! I have done this my whole life! When I lay in bed at night, or when listening to or watching something boring, or when driving, (oops!) Or really at any given time, my mind will just go on this complete other journey. Its always very detailed, like watching a movie or reading a book. Often I take a favorite movie or book and rewrite it in my head with me as the leading lady! Other times I make up something new, and then af that, it becomes a story that I write. Smile And, does anybody else do this, I listen to music on my ipod and incorperate it into my fantasy.

Sometimes though my daydreams are so much more interesting than real life I find myself half expecting them to come true, and being disappointed when they don't. Also, I find that my thoughts, whatever they are, never really turn off. I can push them back and go about my day, but its like I have a running commentary all the time...and I only recently discovered thatnot everyone is like that! But I dont mind it. That's where my imagination comes from. I wouldn't trade any of my imagination for all the math skills in the world!

Optmi
Posted on January 30 2012 03:23 PM

Hi,

I just saw this thread, read a few posts and was floored. I've done this all my life, as long as I can remember, I've re-run fantasies/daydreams in my head, changing them incrementally from time to time if I didn't like something (but I'm always the main character). I started thinking about this and had a major realization, this is something that I use daily to almost rehearse situations before they happen to me. Like when I'm waiting to go to my bosses office, I may run through about 5 minutes of daydreaming about possible things that may happen and have to kick myself out of the state. I also used to do it before dates, thinking what I would say...that's really sad, but true Smile
One thing is for sure, they're just as vivid as watching a movie and I can confirm, I get physical effects once in a while, i.e. I've had daydreams to real that the hair stands up on the back of my neck and I feel the same adrenaline shock as if I won a sports match or been shocked.
I've always had a very very vivid imagination to the point I feel I can run movies in my head. Just one other thing that may be related to this, whether or not it's because I watched certain movies over and over in my childhood, I can in some cases turn off the sound and word for word say the lines from movies (although I stumble in sequence sometimes). I wonder if my connection with movies has something to do with being able to run movies/fantasies in my head with clarity.

Anyway, food for thought, I'm so happy having met all these other people with dyscalculia. A calm has come over me since I've put a name to this and see that there are those out there who don't say "you're just lazy" or "you just didn't concentrate when they were teaching basic math" or "practice makes perfect".
Optmi

"Desperately seeking Numeracy" Frown

Hellz Bellz
Posted on February 08 2012 02:57 PM

OMGGGGGG!! I DO TO!! The longest I have been zoned out living out whole other lives in my head has been 2 FULL DAYS! But it happens so often! Weither I want to or not, it always happens when I can't concentrate like in maths espically it happens automatically then and no matter how hard I try I always walk away not remembering anything that transpired in the whole of class cause I was "off with the fairies" as us Aussies say sometimes Smile I wonder if it is connected

Hellz Bellz
Posted on February 08 2012 03:18 PM

CrossingInStyle wrote:
I loved reading these posts! I have done this my whole life! When I lay in bed at night, or when listening to or watching something boring, or when driving, (oops!) Or really at any given time, my mind will just go on this complete other journey. Its always very detailed, like watching a movie or reading a book. Often I take a favorite movie or book and rewrite it in my head with me as the leading lady! Other times I make up something new, and then af that, it becomes a story that I write. Smile And, does anybody else do this, I listen to music on my ipod and incorperate it into my fantasy.

Sometimes though my daydreams are so much more interesting than real life I find myself half expecting them to come true, and being disappointed when they don't. Also, I find that my thoughts, whatever they are, never really turn off. I can push them back and go about my day, but its like I have a running commentary all the time...and I only recently discovered thatnot everyone is like that! But I dont mind it. That's where my imagination comes from. I wouldn't trade any of my imagination for all the math skills in the world!
OMG YES I INCORPARATE MUSIC INTO MY DREAMS TOO!! If I do it every time I hear music, an epic battle between life and death, a love sick madien ANYTHING!! That's one reason why I love classical music because it gives u so much more freedom of thought than music with lyrics do, and with our creativity it's the best past time I highly recommend u all give classical music a whirl Beethoven is my FAV try moonlight sonata ok guys!

NoahSavage
Posted on April 10 2012 06:05 AM

so glad im not the only one

NoahSavage
Posted on April 12 2012 08:58 PM

I'm starting to think this is a symstom of dyscalculia.
I make up seneraios in my head where i'm having a conversation with someone. in this seneraio, anything can happen. Any little thing can set it off. A lot of the time, this happens in class, particulary my algebra 2 class. Is it a way of escaping the numbers.

HappyFoxy
Posted on April 22 2012 01:50 AM

Wow, oh wow!!! I'm so glad I found this forum, and especially this thread. I've just spent the last 12 hours or so looking at stuff (with breaks for meals, copious mugs of coffee and now wine! Wink ) and I'm totally gobsmacked to find a whole community of like-minded (literally) souls to share with. Grin

Yes, oh yes. I've lived in my mind all my life. Sometimes it's an amazingly rich multi-coloured story of derring do, with me as the heroine, and at other times, when I'm feeling low or in a negative frame of mind, it's me having conversations with people who need a talking to.

I've also had vivid dreams for as long as I can remember, many of them lucid where I can manipulate the outcome. From the age of three to twentythree I also had nightmares most nights and was afraid to go back to sleep again because I'd just have nightmare after nightmare. But, I also had serial dreams which continued from the night before. Those were great. Grin

As a child I had a host of imaginary friends. The ones I recall the most were a horse named Black Austin and an alsation dog called Alexis.

I'm just starting to realise how great it is to be wired differently. Love it and I wouldn't want to be any other way. Smile

www.pastremains.co.uk
StarTrek
Posted on May 11 2012 05:07 PM

Oh.My.Gosh. YESSSSSSSSSSS! I do that all the time! Whether it's a world of my own, or if I create my own character in another world (Harry Potter & Star Trek for example). I live in my imagination constantly because it helps me figure out answers to problems more so then the outside world. That is where I find my motivation to keep pushing forward and sometimes I will bring my characters to life by thinking to myself (baesed on the personlities and characteristics and beliefs I have given to my characters, what would they do in this situation?) All of my characters are a resemblence of me with their own differences and challenges, strengths and weaknesses. I then apply it to real life and it helps me grow as a person. I drift deep into my mind all the time. People say that it's dangerous and that I shouldn't be dreaming ever so often and snap back to reality. However, dreaming allows me to excell in reality because I am seeing in my head me excelling in my dream worlds. So, if that's true, then what's the harm? I also feel like it's a haven, a safe get away, as to block out the outside world and it's destruction. It's also a place to relax or have fun or vent or find comfort when you can't find it elsewhere. I use it during school, during dance, where ever, whenever. I value my imagination very highly. More then anything else I own. It is a special gift that so many take for granted these days.
When I daydream, I am always able to day dream yet still hear what someone else is saying. I love it when I'm daydreaming and yet I still hear and understand what a teacher is saying. My imagination is like a "Holodeck" in my head. I actually wish all the time that Holodecks were real so I could bring it even more to life. However, I do believe it could be part of our dyscalculia, dyslexia, and whatever else. I don't count these things as "disabilities" but as gifts that very few people actually comprehend. A different way of learning, that's all it is. It's like a gift and a curse. In today's society we are encouraged and discouraged all at the same time when it's talked about using your imagination and that is so sad, I believe. But without my imagination, my haven, getaway, etc, I would have never gotten this far in Highschool. However, that's a whole nother story, entirely.
Edited by StarTrek on May 11 2012 05:10 PM

Scott1964
Posted on July 10 2012 09:48 PM

I was told by my grand mother to stop living in my head all the time and live in the real world. I would day dream in school as a kid. I love science fiction like star trek and I often am looking a books on star ship design and dreaming about the far future. im sure why I have always done this..in art school I wold do digital art about mysterious places like ancient civilizations and their technology.. my teachers loved them I was doing digital art better than most in the school.

RottieWoman
Posted on July 11 2012 02:59 PM

I did a lot of daydreaming too, and drew tons of pictures of horses and dogs - did that to get out of gym and got yelled at and in trouble.
I wrote little stories on index cards too.
Hubby and I are Star Trek fansSmile

Jump to Forum: