Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 6

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

The Dyscalculia Forum :: Other Dyscalculia Topics :: Dyscalculia Chat
 Print Thread
Fantasies (no not that kind!)
gooup
#41 Print Post
Posted on November 24 2006 01:21 AM

i have done this ever since i can remember. As a man of 34, it makes me feel foolish and immature ... yet it keeps going on. i was in a theater group once, and LOVED it. i felt the thespian inside me finally clawed his way out. i'm an extrovert most of the time, yet when i get home to my family ... i clam up and want to be alone.

i also DREAM every night. EVERY night. i'm talking dreams with PLOTS. i wake up exhausted every morning ... like i slept 15 minutes instead of 7 hours.

www.harp-oh.com
Bubble
#42 Print Post
Posted on November 25 2006 01:26 PM

Hi Gooup, welcome to the forum. And thanks for sharing!
bubble
(Katie) Wink

Be different, it suits you

Bubble
#43 Print Post
Posted on November 25 2006 01:29 PM

Hi Mette

Thanks, I'll check it out. And don't worry about living in your head, sometimes its kinda nice to check out of reality for a little while. It keeps the stress levels down. Smile

Update: checked out the link and no, that's not me at all. Except the low self esteem and anxiety/depression lol! Although thats getting better these days.

Thanks for the info though, it may be useful for others Wink
Edited by Bubble on November 25 2006 01:33 PM
bubble
(Katie) Wink

OneTooLate
#44 Print Post
Posted on December 23 2006 03:41 AM

I always had an overwhelming imagination (My Barbie's lives resembled that of 90210) but I found that my 'movie' thinking state only works when I'm engaged in some sort of tedious activity; like running or bike-riding. It starts off with tapping a pencil and suddenly it's like I fell through the looking glass (which I wouldn't mind, since I'm a lefty and it would make my life a h-ll lot easier)

I used to be so frustrated, because I couldn't translate the images from my head onto paper, in drawing form. So I started writing instead.

I read somewhere many artists think in a manner similar to this. Perhaps Dyscalculics = artists?
Edited by OneTooLate on December 23 2006 03:42 AM

littlelostkitten
#45 Print Post
Posted on December 23 2006 06:59 PM

i've always been a dreamer. i find it useful sometimes, especially in high tension situations.

i don't get on too well with my mum, and usually it gets to the verge of a row, then i leave and go home. but in my head i see in glorious technicolour, the rest of the row, and everything that happens if i'd stayed, and everything that happens once i've left. i feel it so strongly and the emotions run so deep that i feel the pain and the anger, and it makes me cry as if it had actually happened.

laurajean
#46 Print Post
Posted on December 24 2006 06:32 AM

I don't know for certain that I have dyscalulia but i have always made up complex stories in my head. I can remember sitting in my 5th grade class room and having a story playing in my head unaware of whats going on. This continues today. I can see what I'm gonna do next like a movie in my head. When I listen to music on my head phones I make up stories in my head to go along with the music.

Bubble wrote:
Hi all

Does anyone else ever sit in a room and just act out a fantasy that's in your head at the time? Or do you find that whenever you're alone you start to kind of "live" in your head?

This probably sounds weird and I bet no one else does it, but I do it all the time...... so I wondered if it is connected to my dyscalculia?

I'd be interested to know if anyone else does it.

*looks at post* oh god, did I just write that?

Shadowman
#47 Print Post
Posted on March 12 2007 11:28 PM

Hello:

i'm completely new here.

This is amazing. I thought it was just me.

My adoptive mother called me Walter Mitty. She used to say What's wrong with you? I have to draw pictures for you.

my son is the same, I think. I'm just beginning to find out what this weird movie is all about.

I daydreamed a lot. Zone out sometimes. I can get lost on a spring day just enjoying the smells and the light and life seems grand.

Anybody feel likethat?

eoffg
#48 Print Post
Posted on March 13 2007 09:34 AM

Administrator

"I can get lost on a spring day just enjoying the smells and the light and life seems grand."Pfft
People dont know what they are missing out on!
GeoffPfft,

missasher
#49 Print Post
Posted on March 20 2007 06:06 AM

well, I role play alot, especialy online, and some times in real time. I tend to replay those scenes in my head, and Ive also made up my own little stories, things i would like to write down, but never do, always developing a little each time in my mind, like a film, really.

http://desperateartism.deviantart.com/gallery/
vermon
#50 Print Post
Posted on April 01 2007 01:19 PM

I have Daydreamed whole books Wink in the Classroom, on my Bike, at home on the couge, in the car (when where going all the way to the south of France by car.) When I'm out of High school I wanna be a writer Grin because I want to write all my stories down, but not yet.
"Zelfverwijt is een vorm van luxe, wie zichzelf iets verwijt, ontneemt de ander daar het recht toe."
Oscar Wilde schrijver (1854-1900)
----> hi Wink <----

wan to know more about me?
Hyves: www.hyves.nl/vermon
tagged: www.tagged.com/vermon

Laura
#51 Print Post
Posted on April 01 2007 06:14 PM

You know what i am actually really bad at stories i can never make them up. I can't write them down either. I find it so hard to just think of something on the spot. I am so envious of all of you guys i seem to not be able to daydream either. When i am alone there is nothing in my mind at all-weird or what. I just chill out, my mind goes blank and i relax.

susana
#52 Print Post
Posted on April 02 2007 12:12 AM

I have 3 complex stories I've worked on for years when I'm bored or driving.
My quess is that dyscalculia accompanies the 'attention debetsit brain' like dyslexia does. I think this type of brain can be great and fun but needs to be understood and worked with to stay on track when it's important. I also think junk food, caffein, sugar, lack of sleep etc. can really mess up brain function. If I need to be sharp and am tired ginko is the best.

vermon
#53 Print Post
Posted on April 02 2007 09:23 AM

susana wrote:
I have 3 complex stories I've worked on for years when I'm bored or driving.

me2 but i don't want to write it down yet Pfft
Edited by vermon on April 02 2007 09:23 AM
"Zelfverwijt is een vorm van luxe, wie zichzelf iets verwijt, ontneemt de ander daar het recht toe."
Oscar Wilde schrijver (1854-1900)
----> hi Wink <----

wan to know more about me?
Hyves: www.hyves.nl/vermon
tagged: www.tagged.com/vermon

Shadowman
#54 Print Post
Posted on April 02 2007 05:17 PM

Hi.

I hope everyone is doing ok.

I'm an artist. Career started and stalled who knows how many times. No matter how well I do, it sometimes seems no good.

I keep hearing/ reading about how artists are thriving (famous dyslexics etc). It hasn't been like that at all for me, and I'm wondering whether there are other people (particularly artists) who have managed to overcome this.

Math(s) difficulty was the first thing to rear its head in my life. I was adopted, so there was no family history. I'm glad we have the internet now.

Thanks for your patience in reading through this. Any one seen this already?

http://www.painte...s/aadd.htm

I include it in case it might be of use to anyone else.

I'm keen to know if assessment is ok. I'm apprehensive about being labelled disabled. What do you think, guys?

Kind regards,
(I'm tired of Shadowman already, but it's useful just now)
coming out of the shadows, man

Edited by eoffg on April 03 2007 01:18 AM

lucy_lou
#55 Print Post
Posted on April 11 2007 02:44 AM

Do ya know how ive curbed this?...
I draw it all down.
The most comical and innovative artwork ive made begins from dreaming while Im awake.
I think being Dyscalculic makes you a 'vivid' person, because anything that doesnt seem colourful or poetic you lose interest in. Technicalities have boundries, so therefore prevent interest. I think its easier to create your own creative language though this seemingly illogical daydreaming. Be productive. Dyscalculia is a beautiful disability.Smile
"It aint wat cha do, its the way that you do it!"

Jenkins
#56 Print Post
Posted on April 15 2007 07:31 PM

since the fourth grade i've lived completely different lives out in my head, complete with my own friends, jobs, and situations, it's better than tv, and no one else I know does it. i definatly retreat inside myself when i'm around other people, and i know that the conversations that i have in my head usually spill out, oh well.
it would be neat to see how common the daydreams are amoung dyscalculic and others.
again i'm just glad i'm not the only one.

Bubble
#57 Print Post
Posted on April 15 2007 08:23 PM

lucy_lou wrote:
I think being Dyscalculic makes you a 'vivid' person, because anything that doesnt seem colourful or poetic you lose interest in. Technicalities have boundries, so therefore prevent interest. I think its easier to create your own creative language though this seemingly illogical daydreaming. Be productive. Dyscalculia is a beautiful disability.Smile

I think we may have found the answer. Thank you Lucy Lou!
bubble
(Katie) Wink

eoffg
#58 Print Post
Posted on April 16 2007 07:28 AM

Administrator

Lewis Carrol wrote in: Alice, through the looking glass:

"He was a part of my dream, of course, but then I was a part of his dream."

GeoffPfft,

Astrid
#59 Print Post
Posted on April 17 2007 02:22 PM

I just found this website and forum. Excellent place!

I also tend to "daydream" but mostly when I'm in bed before I go to sleep. I make up stories about all sorts of things and in all sorts of locations. It is often very intricate and long stories with many characters in it and often an action packed plot and a lot of dialoge. The same story can be in my head for weeks, evolving and developing on its own almost. I often think, "hey this is a good story I should write it down", but when I try to the next day it is hard to write about all the things in a good way. It looks so lame on paper. Sometimes, most of the times in fact, I have to end my story-making so I can go to sleep, since the story excites me and thus prevents me from going to sleep. Smile

Donna
#60 Print Post
Posted on April 18 2007 01:01 PM

This is a tremendous thread, and very enlightening!Pfft

All my life I've had a rich 'inner life', and have played out complete scenarios
in my head, to the extent that I often laughed out loud in public (very embarrassing)
or even got tears in my eyes if the 'plot' was too sad! I live in Holland now, and my daily cycle along the canal to my office is always an imaginative work-in-progress. Grin

There've been times that my imaginary dialogues have seemed so real that later when I was actually talking to the people in question I thought I'd already told them specific things, but in fact I hadn't.

Donna
Edited by Donna on April 18 2007 01:03 PM
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

http://www.devinedigital.net
Jump to Forum: