Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 9

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Is it possible to be both with Dyslexia but not show smyptoms until later on in life?
frozentears89
#1 Print Post
Posted on September 11 2011 05:24 PM

Is it possible that you can be born with Dyslexia and not show symptoms until later on in life? And is it possible that Dyscalculia can worsen?
Edited by frozentears89 on September 11 2011 05:25 PM

justfoundout
#2 Print Post
Posted on September 11 2011 06:44 PM

9/11/11
A dyslexic person is more likely to also have dyscalculia than a person who is not dyslexic.

Dr. Brian Butterworth, in the UK, says that you are either dyscalculic or you aren't, and that there's no 'levels' of dyscalculia. I can see what he means, though at first I didn't think he was right. Here's what I'm seeing. When everything else is working 'right',... good health, decent memory function, coordination okay, nice teachers, no abusive pressures,... we can deal with the dyscalculia. But later on, with fatigue, worries, perhaps tinnitus or an ear infection, teachers or employers rushing us, money troubles,... we reach a point where we just can't compensate any more. Also, undue stress damages our hippocampus, the place in the brain that is crucial to our memory and learning. Once our memory gets 'shot', then we can't compensare for our dyscalculia with the same tools as before, and our performance goes downhill. - jus'

heathermomster
#3 Print Post
Posted on September 11 2011 09:06 PM

Dyslexia is forever. You can learn to read with fluency and compensate; however, dyslexia, like dyscalculia, is for life.

The brain has what is called plasticity. As we age, the brain becomes less plastic. It is possible to sustain head trauma with resulting brain injury and develop dyslexia or dyscalculia (depending upon the location in the brain affected).

eoffg
#4 Print Post
Posted on September 12 2011 11:23 AM

Administrator

Frozentears,
Dyscalculia is a specific type of difficulty with maths.
Which is essentially, a fundamental difficulty with a 'sense of number', which gives numbers a sense of quantity. So that the idea that 3 is greater than 2, makes sense.
But other 'mental processes' are involved with doing 'mental maths'.
So that a difficulty with any of these 'mental processes', will cause a difficulty with maths.
Where the question about having Dyslexia and Dyscalculia?
Is more of question about whether the same underlying difficulty, is causing a problem with both of them?
Which is more likely the situation.
Dr Brian Butterworth statement, that their are no levels of Dyscalculia.
Reflects an outdated understanding, and doesn't recognise the mental complexity involved with 'mental maths'?

justfoundout
#5 Print Post
Posted on September 12 2011 03:13 PM

9/12/11
Thanks, eoffg. Has Dr. Butterworth also made statements recognizing this? Just curious. - jus'

cramone
#6 Print Post
Posted on April 25 2012 03:22 AM

I think that the problem here is that the symptoms only just occurred very late in life. That just means that you had it all along but just didn't exude the symptoms needed for you to be diagnosed as such. I would not think that it would be possible to counteract it with something that would prove to be very harmful in some cases.

Like dyscalculia, it is something that you have to live with forever, unfortunately.

RottieWoman
#7 Print Post
Posted on April 25 2012 01:12 PM

hello cramoneSmile

Jump to Forum: