Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 4

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Were would you be if you did not have dyscalculia
Numb
#1 Print Post
Posted on October 18 2011 06:48 PM

This is a question i have often pondered myself. I should be in my 3rd year of university with one year left to go. The program i was interested in required math and physics. Everything i have an interest in requires one or the other. Go figure. It very frustrating when i think about it.

squeakymonster
#2 Print Post
Posted on October 18 2011 08:04 PM

I would most likely have graduated sooner, but in the general scheme of things, I would still most likely be in the same position I'm in now, except maybe not struggling quite as much. However, if it weren't for not being unable to graduate as quickly as expected, I would have missed some wonderful opportunities that I now have.
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

RottieWoman
#3 Print Post
Posted on October 18 2011 10:44 PM

I likely would have graduated college sooner and probably would be a vet or CVT.

dandy22
#4 Print Post
Posted on October 19 2011 01:26 AM

I don't know where I would be exactly, but I might be in either algebra 3 or pre calculas, like the rest of my classmates. Emotionally, my self esteem would be much higher, and I would probably have a better outlook on life.
If we didn't have dyscalculia I think our interests and personalities might be different. I feel like I wouldn't be good at art if I was good at math.
Equations are the devil's sentences. -Stephen Colbert

katforever83
#5 Print Post
Posted on October 24 2011 01:08 AM

I would probably have my doctorate by now, I'm currently taking algebra 2 for the 5th time. I will pass though, I finally know what's wrong and have help from my teacher- he's basically letting me take all the test as many times as I want.

Kathy
#6 Print Post
Posted on October 24 2011 03:11 AM

I would be Performing with the Metropolitan Opera Comany in Qld after singing at Covent Garden for five years prior.

Happy to be doing what I am doing now though! but that's probably what I would have been doing.

Cheers
kathySmile

Albert Einstein said: "Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count!."

arch101
#7 Print Post
Posted on October 25 2011 05:44 PM

I would have gotten a degree 20 years ago with everyone else I grew up with. Instead, I've thrown away 14 of the last 20 struggling in several schools to get that single degree. I HATE not getting math. It's not even part of the job I do, just a school requirement.

justfoundout
#8 Print Post
Posted on October 26 2011 02:18 AM

10/25/11
Hi katforever83,
That's great that your teacher is letting you take and re-take your tests! Good for you. And, you've got a diagnosis, too? Welcome to the forum. - jus'

RottieWoman
#9 Print Post
Posted on October 26 2011 02:06 PM

hello there, katforeverSmile

mathmustdie
#10 Print Post
Posted on October 26 2011 06:01 PM

I think about this A LOT lately! I would have graduated in 2010 like everyone else I know. I would be able to drive. I would want to be a teacher (I don't think its possible because of the state teacher license test which has math).I think I would be the positive/happy person that I can be.

I wouldn't be upset when people ask "You are done with school now right?" "You have your bachelor's degree, don't you?" "Are you in school?" "What grade are you in?" "What career do you want?". My frenemy wouldn't be able to shove their Bachelors degree in my face.

My mom' has been saying "Oh, she's still in school...almost done, just one more semester" for the past few years! to people. Kind of embarrassing.

Life would be A LOT better. I would trade all my artistic talent to be good at math just so I didn't have to be tortured. Things may be getting better but I don't dare to hope.

undazzled
#11 Print Post
Posted on October 26 2011 11:51 PM

I think there is absolutely NO point in me even entertaining this question. I refuse to think, "I could have done this, if only..." because to me personally that is just a waste of mental energy. Instead I would rather think, "Where do I want to be, and how am I going to work around dyscalculia to get there?" I refuse to spend even a second of my life acknowledging that because of this learning disability, I can't have something that I want. I will have my cake and eat it too, math be damned. I may be stubborn to a fault but on occasion it has its perks.
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

Imayhavedyscalculia
#12 Print Post
Posted on October 27 2011 04:08 AM

Well, I`d probably be public schooled. And I wouldn`t have to catch up on math because I`d be at the right grade level. But, I feel like I now have a reason to tell people I can`t go to public schooled. I get very jealious ( I don`t know how to spell that lol) of my siblings because they get to do theater, pep rallys, homecomeing, and prom. But they get jealious of me because I get to ` stay at home on my butt doing nothing`. I know, stupid reason to be jealious right? oh well. At least I don`t feel dumb anymore!!

cherokeerose
#13 Print Post
Posted on November 04 2011 02:07 AM

an astro physicist. I've always loved the sciences.

justfoundout
#14 Print Post
Posted on November 04 2011 07:58 PM

11/4/11
Imay, will you later get a GED? Not meaning to be nosey,... just caring about you. - jus'

Octavia
#15 Print Post
Posted on November 06 2011 12:05 AM

I'd be an engineer. Every career test said that was my best fit. I have no interest in it now though. There are so many other great things to do that don't depend on numbers.

justfoundout
#16 Print Post
Posted on November 08 2011 10:31 PM

11/8/11
My tests at Junior High School level said that I should have been an orthodontist. I had good mechanical reasoning and good space relation. (Move those teeth to where they should be!) But, if I'm not mistaken, orthodontists have to pass quite a bit of math, don't they? Too bad. The world just missed out on having one great orthodontist. - jus'

RottieWoman
#17 Print Post
Posted on November 09 2011 08:19 PM

that's interesting, I didn't know that about orthodontists-

Imayhavedyscalculia
#18 Print Post
Posted on November 09 2011 09:55 PM

Jus-I don't know what a GED is exactly. But my mama and I talked about that before. She wants me to get one but I don't know what it is TBH lol. Its ok! Ur not nosey, ur nice Smile

justfoundout
#19 Print Post
Posted on November 09 2011 11:01 PM

11/9/11
Hi Imay,
The GED stands for 'general educational development'. Ask.com says, "GED is actually the process of earning the equivalent of your high school diploma, which is called a GED certificate or credential. The process requires attending classes, studying, and passing a five-part test." If you 'pass' the test, then you get a certificate that, in most cases, is considered to be the equivalent of having a High School Diploma. I say 'in most cases' because there used to be some resistance to hiring someone who had gotten the GED instead of a High School Diploma. I haven't seen this happen in recent years, so maybe by now the GED isn't discriminated against.

I knew of one woman, back when the GED first came out, who only went to inquire about taking the test, took it on the spot, and passed! She'd dropped out of school when she was 16, had a family, and got her GED when she was about 40. She'd always felt bad that she hadn't finished High School, but she was very happy with that GED. - jus'

Patricia
#20 Print Post
Posted on November 10 2011 08:19 PM

I would have been a chemist. It was the second thing I remember wanting to be (first thing was a nun, but we weren't Catholic). Then the math got bad and I just couldn't keep up. I was not yet diagnosed.

I've had many different jobs, from waitress (oh dear God!) to beautician, from store clerk to printer. I couldn't be a chemist, so I did the next best thing...I married one! Pfft

Jump to Forum: