Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 3

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Is there a correlation between dyscalculia and grammar?
Numb
#1 Print Post
Posted on October 20 2011 07:32 PM

I have always wondered if there is. This would explain why i have always had trouble learning foreign languages. I could never get past the grammar. Today i got back my grammar test for English and i failed. English is my first language in case you were wondering. I can write essays and paragraphs no problem but the minute the teacher starts talking about verbs, nouns, adjectives, subjects and prepositional phrases i get confused. I have no idea what the connection is between grammar and language if that makes any sense? I have always struggled with grammar and believe me i have tried studying and trying to understand it but it doesn't make any sense.

RottieWoman
#2 Print Post
Posted on October 20 2011 07:42 PM

I think many times people with LD's in general including math LD do have issues with learning foreign languages. I don't happen to be one of them but there does seem to be that tendency.

Numb
#3 Print Post
Posted on October 20 2011 07:48 PM

The strange thing is if i were to go to a foreign country i can pick up the language yet if i were to be taught it in a classroom i would have difficulty.

squeakymonster
#4 Print Post
Posted on October 20 2011 08:10 PM

I can speak English just fine. It's actually one of my better subjects (native language). I also do alright with American Sign Language (not a native language). However, when it comes to learning Spanish and Portuguese, forget it! My brain shorts out and I can't remember anything. I nearly failed both classes, taken years apart by different people. I think my problem was, with ASL, I was in conversation with a deaf person. With Spanish and Portuguese, it was just in a classroom setting, I wasn't immersed or anything like that, which may be part of the problem, not sure.
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

Imayhavedyscalculia
#5 Print Post
Posted on October 20 2011 08:34 PM

I can learn languages by hearing. But I can`t speak fluently. I have to speak slowly to lol. I have trouble wit spanish and french. But sign language I am good at Smile

mcdonaldjs
#6 Print Post
Posted on October 20 2011 08:40 PM

Yesterday a friend told me about dyscalculia when I was telling her of my frustrations helping my 9 year old with math facts. This forum is amazing! I've been reading through threads and this one caught my eye. My daughter loves to read and write. She is at a 12th grade reading level. But with math she's at maybe a 2nd grade level. The one area in language that she struggles is grammar. As much as I have tried to help her understand the difference between nouns, verbs, adjectives, subjects, predicates, etc..., she doesn't get it. My daughter hasn't been diagnosed with dyscalculia yet, but she fits every symptom on the list. I think there is a good correlation between her struggles with math skills and with grammar.

RottieWoman
#7 Print Post
Posted on October 20 2011 10:09 PM

<hand waving> squeaky and Imayhavedyscalculia
here sign also
fluent not
learn why? <index to both>

I tend to be a VERY visual person but have enjoyed the various languages I've learned/worked on.
Edited by RottieWoman on October 20 2011 10:11 PM

RottieWoman
#8 Print Post
Posted on October 20 2011 10:11 PM

hello, mcdonaldjs!
your daughter seems very similar to me at that age in terms of the math specifically.
I hope you proceed with diagnosis for her; an earlier assessment will be very useful for her as she goes forward with learningSmile

Tamsin
#9 Print Post
Posted on October 21 2011 03:12 AM

I've always struggled with grammar. I'm a writer but I can barely remember the difference between a verb, a noun, and an adjective. I've been taught about grammar many different times but I just can't make it stick. I just get the terms confused. It's really embarrassing when I talk to other writers and they mock people that make the same mistakes I do. Or when they talk about things like prepositional phrases and subjective clauses, things I should know about but don't. Makes me feel like less of a writer. Heck, I don't even know how to use a comma properly, and that's that stuff that I was taught back in elementary school!

Same with languages. I took a foreign language for 4 and a half years and never progressed beyond the very basic stuff. It's so frustrating when people around you, who started learning the same language at the same time, are trying to talk to you in that language and you can only understand one or two words they say. ASL was a lot better for me, but I still about half of the words and I could never remember the sentence structure.
Aspie

heathermomster
#10 Print Post
Posted on October 21 2011 02:12 PM

Hi there,

Grammar utterly kills my son, yet as a 5th grader, he scored post high school on language expression during his SAT 10 test.

Blessings,hc
Edited by heathermomster on October 22 2011 03:40 PM

justfoundout
#11 Print Post
Posted on October 21 2011 10:18 PM

10/21/11
Tamsin,
Your creativity in writing is still special and is an 'art' unto itself. Just be 'smart' enough to get an understanding proofreader to correct errors with you before publication.

Re: learning foreign languages,
I learned Spanish living in South America, and I speak it well. But recently, when I took Advanced Spanish Grammar in college, I found that those few things that I did 'not' already know, and that I had to learn for passing a test, were very difficult for me to learn. I escaped with an A. But I agree with everyone 'above' who says that they can learn a foreign language through immersion, but not in a classroom. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on October 21 2011 10:19 PM

Tamsin
#12 Print Post
Posted on October 22 2011 05:45 AM

Thank you Jus, I will be sure to do soSmile
Aspie

eoffg
#13 Print Post
Posted on October 22 2011 06:55 AM

Administrator

Heather, if anything, their is less correlation of Dyscalculia with Dyslexia. Where the major sub-type of Dyslexia is an auditory processing issue that effects phonemic awareness. Though orthographic sub-types of Dyslexia may have difficulties with maths, but this depends on whether it is of visual or spacial origin.
Dyslexia as a result of Dysgraphia, is quite often associated with Dyscalculia.

heathermomster
#14 Print Post
Posted on October 22 2011 03:41 PM

Thank-you. I altered my post. Blessings,hc

Ladyhawke
#15 Print Post
Posted on November 21 2011 01:59 AM

Tamsin wrote:
I've always struggled with grammar. I'm a writer but I can barely remember the difference between a verb, a noun, and an adjective. I've been taught about grammar many different times but I just can't make it stick. I just get the terms confused. It's really embarrassing when I talk to other writers and they mock people that make the same mistakes I do. Or when they talk about things like prepositional phrases and subjective clauses, things I should know about but don't. Makes me feel like less of a writer. Heck, I don't even know how to use a comma properly, and that's that stuff that I was taught back in elementary school!
OMG, I completely relate to this. I've often thought my difficulty with grammar was only because I was simply bored with it. While I have never written professionally as it sounds like you do, I already wrote well and I could formulate a sentence that made sense, so why did I need to know all the mechanics of it?

This was a big issue when I went to community college. The teacher would give us these horrid sentences that we were supposed to "correct". I not only corrected them, I re-wrote them, and they sounded better than the original! Even my classmates told the teacher the sentences I changed were better and she couldn't deny me the A.Grin

Out of desperation, she made the final exam multiple choice so I was forced to choose the correction instead of re-writing the sentence. The whole class chuckled throughout that exam listening to me grind and moan my way through it as I commented loudly about the "horrid" sentences.Pfft

Tamsin
#16 Print Post
Posted on December 17 2011 04:23 AM

I'm not professional (yet) though someday I hope to be. When I was younger I thought that stuff was boring as well, and, like you, I thought that, seen as I could construct a decent sentence, it wasn't something I needed to know. Now I have been trying to learn it and can't keep it straight. Maybe when I was younger I told myself I didn't need to know it because I struggled with it and have just forgotten?
Aspie

genstar
#17 Print Post
Posted on September 08 2012 08:34 PM

I haven't been officialy diagnosed with dyscalculia but one reason I believe I have it is because I just can't seem to keep math definitions straight. I have a lexile score of 1167 and love to read, but math words I just can't seem to keep straight.

justfoundout
#18 Print Post
Posted on September 08 2012 10:23 PM

9/8/12
Hello again, genstar,
There's something a little unusual about your posts. I've answered you previously on two other Threads, and yet you haven't responded to any of my posts to you. You are telling parts of the same story here again that you've already told us. Have you seen my two posts in answer to your two other posts? - jus'

Exiled
#19 Print Post
Posted on October 30 2012 01:39 PM

If it's ok for me to weigh in a bit, I have a few pet hypotheses on this one.....

I am noticing this in school (I'm a linguistics student), and it seems, at least for me, to be tied to my very slow working memory. I obviously have to immerse myself in the structure of language constantly, and am fine in most areas. Grammar in English is fine for me (I'm a native speaker and language was my compensation it seems with dyscalculia). Second languages require a decent amount of working memory unless you're immersed in them and can use the more intuitive part of your brain (and just simple practice at speaking/responding/listening--that reinforces language in a different way in the brain). 2nd languages in the classroom require a LOT of working memory to recall the rules, and I'm thinking this may be one of the big issues.

I'll be learning more about this, but wanted to float that out for now. Thanks.

justfoundout
#20 Print Post
Posted on October 31 2012 03:22 AM

10/30/12
Sounds good to me. - jus'

Jump to Forum: