Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 7

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Has this ever happened to you?
feedthefoodie
#1 Print Post
Posted on November 10 2011 06:33 PM

Have you ever gone to school, and forgotten where your classroom is towards the end of the year - the same class you've been attending the whole semester?

Or accidentally go to class, sit down at your desk, and had your instructor say, your class isn't for another three hours. Smile

Or sat outside and waited for your class to begin and have your instructor walk outside and chuckle and say go to class. Smile

Or been late to class towards the end of the semester--the same class you've been attending all semester--and get there late because you couldn't actually find the class for some reason that day?

It has happened to me.

I've never been diagnosed with dyscalculia, but I have a strong conviction that I have it.

squeakymonster
#2 Print Post
Posted on November 10 2011 08:30 PM

Yes, to all but showing up three hours early. I have two history classes. On multiple occasions, I have gone to the wrong room at the wrong time, walked in, been looked at funny, not been able to recognize the prof, and realize I'm in the wrong room and have to quickly backtrack to the correct room. It helps when the profs have a decent sense of humor about it.
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

justfoundout
#3 Print Post
Posted on November 11 2011 11:29 PM

11/11/11
Same for me. I once went to my Spanish class at 8am, instead of 9:30am. It was the same classroom and the same teacher, but all the students were different. Since I have so much trouble remembering people, it didn't faze me that I didn't know anybody there. I stayed through the end of the class. Then, the teacher told me that my Spanish was good enough to stay in that class,... the 4th semester class, but that I'd need to go ahead and choose which one I wanted to be 'in'. I was completely surprised, since I'd thought that I was in my own 3rd semester class. This happened because my 'other' class was Biology, which was at 8am on Saturdays. I'd gone at the right time, on the wrong day, to the wrong classroom. (I kept my 3rd semester class. Hadn't intended to change classes.)

Next story,... I forgot what time to go to my Biology class, and arrived there an hour late. However, I didn't know that I was an hour late when I got there. As I arrived, I saw my classmates standing and sitting in the hallway outside the Biology lecture room. I thought that we were all early and that the teacher hadn't gotten there yet. After a while, the teacher opened the door and said that we could come in. I was surprised that she'd been in the classroom all that time. As it turned out, this was a terrible tragedy for me and my grade. It had been the day of our big test. Those students had been standing in the hallway because they'd already taken their test. When the teacher said for us to come 'in', this was because the time for the test-taking was over, and now the lecture would begin. There was no provision for taking a 'make up' test, and I'd missed getting to take my test. If I'd known that I was 'late', I could have still had time to take my test when I got there. But because I thought that we were all waiting for the teacher, I'd just stood around out in the hallway waiting.
Ahhhh. <sighs> That takes a weight off of me to tell those stories here. - jus'

CheshireKat
#4 Print Post
Posted on November 13 2011 01:43 AM

I have found that if I think too much about where I'm going, I'm more likely to get lost. If I just let myself go on auto-pilot, though, I will very often walk myself all the way to class without even thinking consciously about where I'm going!

I do find that I can't remember what time my classes start at until at least half-way through the semester, sometimes later. I always have to refer back to my Google calendar to see what time my classes start at. I know what classes I have and where they're located, but for the life of me I can't remember whether it's a 12:50 class or a 1:55 class. And God forbid you ask me what period of the day my class is during... I often have people ask me, "What are you doing after 5th period?" and I just have to say, "Uh, what time is 5th period?" I have been going to this university for 4 years now, you would think I'd have the periods figured out by now! Alas, dyscalculia.
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

Imayhavedyscalculia
#5 Print Post
Posted on November 13 2011 06:17 AM

Lol. No I haven't but one time we had to write down all fifty states and they'er capitols . I accedently wrote them all at least twice XD I had to redo all of it. And whats.worse is when I went to go redo it I did it again! That is when my parents knew publice school was too hard for me. Lol

CoastGurl
#6 Print Post
Posted on January 25 2012 02:02 AM

I did that constantly in highschool, but it was because my math class was right across from my science class and I would constantly turn into my science class sit down, look around me, ask the teacher if I was supposed to be i this class (she was really patient with me), she'd check her log, say nope, and then I'd head into the right class. Of course, I'd start to turn into the sciece class and another student would say "We're in math now,".

Maybe because I liked science so much (and hated math), my subconcious was trying to redirect me to something fun.

Jump to Forum: