Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 6

· Members Online: 1
eoffg

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Foreign Language
justfoundout
#1 Print Post
Posted on December 03 2011 02:48 PM

11/3/11
I'm glad that option exists, Kat. I remember that several forum members have been caused a lot of distress over foreign language requirements. So, to get that foreign language substitution, people with LD's have to take 5 classes to substitute for the normally required 2 classes. Do I have that right? And, you'll surely be charged for those extra three classes. Is your graduation being delayed by those extra courses? - jus'

justfoundout
#2 Print Post
Posted on December 03 2011 07:39 PM

11/3/11
Good for you for covering those upper level electives simultaneously with the cultural option classes! This is where having a good advisor, or having a mom with a degree of her own, can really come in handy. Also, those who find out about dyscalculia earlier in life and get the diagnosis can save themselves lots of long detours on the way to a degere. I'd instinctively avoided courses like Art History at the cc for years, knowing that I couldn't remember names and dates. Now, I'm having to take them at Uni, where they are more expensive and more difficult. But it has to be done, albeit with accommodations, now that I have my diagnosis.

I'm having to re-think my art degree, Kat. The painting teachers has disdain for my 'representational' art. I don't know if my lack of Abstract Reasoning plays a role in this, but I'm just sooo 'not into' conceptual art. I'm having to explore the possibility of a Spanish Major or a Major in Linguistics. Any thoughts on my low abstract reasoning and art? I don't think that you had this 'abstract reasoning' problem yourself. Right? - jus'

justfoundout
#3 Print Post
Posted on December 03 2011 08:51 PM

11/3/11
Kat,
I love your illustration of vanilla ice cream being called 'un-flavorly'. hahaha Yes, and yet, with my 'grade' for each assignment held in the hands of my teacher, you can only imagine how disquieting it is to me to have it implied in every class that others 'get it' when I 'don't'.

I think that it's worthwhile to open the topic of conversation for other LD artists, whether dyscalculic or even dyslexic, who have low abstract reasoning, on whether or not this relates to the type of art they produce. I'm sure that you didn't intend to do this, but saying, "I would be careful about turning your artistic preferences into a disability - I don't think it is a disability." makes me feel defensive. I haven't 'turned anything into a disability'. But I do respect your opinion that you don't think that there is a relationship between not being able to paint abstract art and having low abstract reasoning.

It's true that 'abstract art' or 'conceptual art' are not my preference, but it's one thing to 'look' at it, and a little different to 'make' it. I never minded that other people painted abstract art or conceptual art, but it was never something that I aspired to either. I wouldn't have tried to hurt their feelings for making it, and if there was some part of it that I admired, I would have said so. But now I find that the academic world has set up standards in making art that requires the student to 'progress' toward making conceptual art. Many of the students in my class don't know how to mix colors or how to use perspective in their paintings, yet the teacher gives them 'A's'. One young lady has painted almost the same 'painting' over and over for every assignment, because she can't figure out how to do anything else, and the teacher gave her an A. The young lady is very sweet, and it doesn't even give me pleasure to say this about her. I've gone through a metamorphasis this semester,... at first wondering how it was that I wasn't 'getting the memo',... then feeling picked on,... and now finally, yes, a little angry because I'm paying money for this! And this method of grading my work is causing me to have to quit the only degree that I should have been able to 'do', given that I can't remember names and dates, unusual Spanish verb conjugations, or do algebra. The teacher has an answer for everything though, and 'resistance is futile'. On the last assignment she suggested changes. It took me all week end to do them. (As if I had nothing better to do than re-do an assignment.) When I got my grade, she wrote that it didn't look like I'd given it much thought. <sighs> I'm just dragging myself to that class now. Thanks for your feed-back. - jus'

Kestrel6
#4 Print Post
Posted on December 04 2011 12:23 AM

I think a lot of language acquisition happens when you're a kid. I did well with German in highschool, because Mom used to teach me songs in German when I was little.
But interestingly, I have been unable to *change* languages. Since so many people at my job speak Spanish, I've been working on picking it up. It's not difficult, since it's mostly Latin. BUT, if someone asks me a question in Spanish, I formulate the Spanish response in my head, I hear it in my brain, then I open my mouth and the answer nearly always comes out in German. Go figure that one.
Blessed are the PURR in heart!

http://twicetoldtails.googlepages.com
eoffg
#5 Print Post
Posted on December 04 2011 09:43 AM

Administrator

Jus', it's not abstract reasoning that's the problem, but rather your avoidance of Art History.
Art History is not about names and dates, but rather with understanding the evolution of humanities use of visual art.
Where for 'abstract art', what needs to be understand, is how this evolved in the Western world, and the critical role that Cezanne played in this. Then with understanding what was important about Picasso's art work and it's derivation from African Art.
Along with the Dadaist Movement, which has really had the most profound ongoing effect on visual arts. With its use of Art to question formal structures and thinking.
So that it's not so much about abstract reasoning, but with understanding Art History, and the reasoning behind abstraction.
Where in fact, 'representational art' is also abstraction.
With Degree level Art, it's the reasoning behind the Artwork that is focus. Where a 'representational' approach can equally be used.
But what one needs to be able to do, is explain the reasoning behind its use. With regard to Art History.

squeakymonster
#6 Print Post
Posted on December 04 2011 03:19 PM

My university just approved ASL as a second language class to fulfill our requirement. Why couldn't they have done it when I could have benefited? *growl* I nearly failed Portuguese because of my issues with memorizing stuff. ASL is so much easier for me!
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

RottieWoman
#7 Print Post
Posted on December 04 2011 09:50 PM

Smile great, Squeaky!
ASL is too often still not recognized as a language, especially when academic institutions insist on sticking it in with "Exceptional Ed" or "Communication Disorders" departments or majors.

I'm one of those with math LD who tend to pick up other languages easily. ASL feels very natural to me and I really have not struggled with the grammar.
Edited by RottieWoman on December 04 2011 09:50 PM

justfoundout
#8 Print Post
Posted on December 11 2011 03:39 AM

12/10/11
Thanks Kat and eoffg for your comments on Abstract Reasoning and Abstract Art. I hadn't said one way or the other whether or not I'm able to make abstract art. In High School I'd done some nice exercises, doing a fellow student's portrait as a caricature, another one as Cubism, and another one as just a normal sketch. Those came out good. And, I've got a couple of 'abstracts' that I did last year in Beginning Painting at the cc. They aren't anything 'wonderful', but they are decently interesting. I'd previously never 'aspired' to be able to do conceptual art. The Uni teacher who doesn't like my work wasn't really clear in what she wanted from us.

Thanks for that info on Art History and it's link to abstract art, eoffg. In a different college, with a different art teacher, I might have been able to 'get with the program'.

I'm now on the brink of changing my Major to Linguistics. I'll have the problem of getting the teacher Certification in order to teach English as a second language. BTW, deaf students enroll in the cc's ESOL (English as a Second Language) courses, and I was one of the Sign Language Interpreters in those classes. So, I've been in those classrooms and heard the curriculum. I'll miss art classes though. I really love art. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on December 11 2011 03:46 AM

Jump to Forum: