Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 8

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Maps
CoastGurl
#1 Print Post
Posted on January 25 2012 01:55 AM

I am utterly horrible with maps. I don't understand them, I'm sure there's half a dozen roads/turns/directions, but if I can I use landmarks to find my way around town.

Does anybody else use maps?

LieutenantBlueBerry
#2 Print Post
Posted on January 25 2012 09:59 AM

My mom actually insisted I learn how to read maps and would make me navigate on long car rides and turn it into a game. Unfortunately, I've never really been any good at it. I can use maps, but it takes me a long time to figure out where I am on the map, where the place I want to go is, and figuring out how to get there, and then getting there. Usually something gets messed up in those steps and I end up lost. If I can, I use landmarks as well. Street names never mean much to me. In fact, I really only know a few main roads, nothing else. Basically, I use maps if no other option is available.

RottieWoman
#3 Print Post
Posted on January 25 2012 02:05 PM

I've gotten some better at using maps but I can still find them very confusing as I don't know compass directions and mix up Left and Right...my husband who may actually have non-verbal LD, is a strict map-reader and without them, gets lost very easily, including getting totally disoriented in places he's been to many times, making the wrong turn to go home on a route we've gone previously, etc.
Sometimes I have hubby plot a route for me with a highlighter.

I use visuals and landmarks constantly and if someone needs instructions to get to our house, hubby talks to them!

justfoundout
#4 Print Post
Posted on January 25 2012 04:44 PM

1/25/12
Hi BlueBerry! Nice to see you again. - jus'

squeakymonster
#5 Print Post
Posted on January 25 2012 05:35 PM

I have no clue how to read a map, despite a few half-hearted attempts to teach me. I do land marks. Since I struggle with right and left, usually, I just point, or have someone point the direction we need to turn. Otherwise, I get really lost. It's quite frustrating, especially when it means running late because of being lost. I still get lost walking in the square building (and it's set up as a square) where I've had classes all year. I never know what door I'm going out. And my ice skating class is in a different building that I'd never even been in. I wound up ten minutes late to my violin lesson because of it. :/ Anyway, yeah, maps are problematic.
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

Jump to Forum: