Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 9

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
To tell or not to tell, that sure is the question
Skibladner
#1 Print Post
Posted on February 29 2012 05:42 PM

I have just spent a while reading through some of the past threads and there seems to be a kind of running split here (it could, of course, be only my imagination). Some dyscalucics feel "disabled" and others don't. That's not the reason for this thread. Personally I don't feel disabled. UN-abled, sure, but not disabled. No, it's the experiences people have when battling to convince "them others". The humiliation (sometimes pain) of it comes across in a number of the posts here. Yet the majority posted "Yes" in the poll about telling people. I voted no because I don't want to deal with the idiots who deny dyscalucia exists, or who claim we are "lazy" and (or) stupid. I had enough of that over the many years until I decided enough, no more. Now I tell no one, and I bring out the bag of techniques to blind them with (like the people who can't read who "misplace" their glasses so ask someone to read a letter for them). I'm sure we've all got our personal how-to-keep-it-a-secret techniques ..... and. oh dear, reading that back it sounds like I'm on the "shame" thing. I don't mean to. I am not ashamed of being discalucic, just - sometimes - very, very tired.
Skibladner

justfoundout
#2 Print Post
Posted on February 29 2012 06:01 PM

2/29/12
I don't think that you are 'on the shame thing' at all. I think that if you don't tell people about dyscalculia, it's for exactly the reason you've given,... that too often your words land on the ears of someone who will deny dyscalculia exists. I'd had one great experience of sharing my newfound information on dyscalculia with the very first person I tried to tell about it. I felt like Mighty Mouse. (This was a cartoon character, for those of you too young to know what I'm talking about.) But then, on my second try of trying to 'inform' someone, I was completely deprived of my super-powers by a lady at a sewing store who proceeded to tell 'me' what dyscalculia was and wasn't. According to her (Auuuugh!), there are all kinds of ways to 'fix it', just as green or yellow overlays had helped her dyslexic niece. Any attempt on my part to tell her that dyscalculia doesn't work like dyslexia was useless, as she would talk on top of me, as though I were nothing more than a barking dog. While this was a rude awakening for me, at least it completely disspelled the idea that 'all people need' is some education on the subject.

I also think that there's a difference in how much we can do depending on where we live. In the US, with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), 'dyscalculia' is just one more thing that needs to be added to a long list, so that we can get the 'breaks' we need. However, in many other countries, there's no legal protection for anyone with a disability. In fact, in many other countries, having a disability only makes one a target of ridicule. In this circumstance, surely each person is justified in making which ever choice seems wisest for himself. Another dyscalculic might, or might not, appreciate ones sacrifice. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on February 29 2012 06:03 PM

Jump to Forum: