Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,054
· Newest Member: directionallyimpaired

View Thread

Print Thread
Oh dear
Skibladner
#1 Print Post
Posted on March 09 2012 05:21 PM

I've pretty much now read most of the threads here (not all, but most) and .... oh dear. What do I mean? So many here write that they have math problems, for example, beyond grade 3, or can't do trigonometry very well. I think maybe I need some reassurance that there are others of you out there who (like me) don't understand the concept of numbers. I never got as high as grade 1 math. I can count (mostly using my fingers or objects I can see), but I have no concept of the result. Someone can say, "here are 3 eggs. How many are there?". Fine, I can tell them there are 3. know what eggs are, but what does "3" actually mean? I was born in 1944 (it says so on my birth certificate) and that makes me 68 (my wife has told me), but I don't understand what 1944 or 68 are. And how would you say that to a potential employer? Luckily, I don't have to because I teach English as a foreign language and now my wife and I have our own (very small) language school. Living with Dyscalulia has been a nightmare all my life. I keep looking forward to a time when it doesn't bother me. About the same time pigs will learn to fly
Skib'

Ladyhawke
#2 Print Post
Posted on March 10 2012 02:47 AM

Hi Skibladner,

I'm only slightly younger than you and I agree, it's difficult having no concept of number values. You're like me with distances-- for example, I haven't a clue what 50 yards is. Someone could have an accident right in front of me and if I was questioned as to how far away I was standing when it happened, I haven't a clue what to tell them.

50 feet?--I have NO idea what that even means or how to tell what it is. I'll usually just point to an object and tell them about from me to that object and let them do the math. If that's the kind of thing you wrestle with then I definitely understand that type of frustration with numerical values.

I guess we all struggle to accept our limitations in the best ways we can. Smile

Ladyhawke
Edited by Ladyhawke on March 10 2012 02:47 AM
Algebra? When I learn decimals and fractions, you're welcome to try teaching me, but unless you have the patience of a saint and are very long-lived, good luck with that... Grin

RottieWoman
#3 Print Post
Posted on March 10 2012 04:01 AM

I don't know from feet or inches or anything like that. I don't know how to use a ruler. I use my hands to show size if needed. I have become familiar with the fact that people put coffee in 12 ounce cups but the actual phrase "12 ounces" means nothing to me so I have no idea what I might actually get.

Ladyhawke
#4 Print Post
Posted on March 10 2012 05:22 AM

RW,

Oh, don't you just hate that? I can't stand it when I'm in a lineup and they offer me the larger (or smaller) size of something. I have to get them to SHOW me how big or small that size is, so I can figure out if I really do want it. I know it holds the people behind me up and people get annoyed. I often hear titters going through the crowd behind me when I have to get the "demo version", but what can I do? I can't conceptualize it, so how can I know what I'm getting unless I SEE it?Frown

Ladyhawke
Algebra? When I learn decimals and fractions, you're welcome to try teaching me, but unless you have the patience of a saint and are very long-lived, good luck with that... Grin

RottieWoman
#5 Print Post
Posted on March 10 2012 05:37 PM

ahh, yes! unless I SEE it! TRUE that!

Yup, I'm very familiar with the holding up people in line - they say "such-and-such unit of measurement" I say - I don't know what that is- show me
so they tend not to think of using their hands, usually get a cup but that means they have to find a cup, while others are waiting behind me.

justfoundout
#6 Print Post
Posted on March 12 2012 08:33 PM

3/12/12
Yesterday, I went to the clay studio to do an assignment. I had to use the scale (complicated, with three types of weights) to measure out grams of ingredients, following a formula for making Black Satin ceramic glaze. At first, I'd get a big scoop of one kind of powder and overload the scale. But I was delighted to find that as I measured and added more ingredients, I began to get a feeling for about how 'much stuff' would make (let's say) 34 grams. So, I got faster at it. I added the water, stirred, and put it thourgh a sieve of 30 mesh, and next of 60 mesh. The mixing and stirring part seemed like I was making bisquits,... except for the hazard mask I was having to wear. ;) Got that done and was so relieved. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on March 12 2012 08:35 PM

Ladyhawke
#7 Print Post
Posted on March 13 2012 07:08 AM

LMAO@Jus. That post was very touching until that last line about having to wear the hazard mask. That broke me up.Pfft

justfoundout
#8 Print Post
Posted on March 14 2012 12:05 AM

3/13/12
Thanks. LadyHawk. Glad you liked it. - jus'

RottieWoman
#9 Print Post
Posted on March 14 2012 02:46 PM

I liked your analogy about making the biscuits <now I'm hungry!> and the descriptions in your post, 'jus. Reminds me of my high school pottery classes and actually I can now smell how the clay was and feel it in my hands. I think I actually especially enjoyed clay-making/pottery because of the added dimension of the texture and everything.

squeakymonster
#10 Print Post
Posted on March 14 2012 05:53 PM

If it's not visually there, don't ask me to picture it. Draw me the picture or show me the real thing. I struggle to "see" how much something is all the time.
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

Jump to Forum: