Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 7

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Hi,ComputerScience PhD. I have dyscalculia
aysu
#1 Print Post
Posted on March 20 2012 01:40 PM

Hi all,
after reading the symptoms I think I have dyscalculia.
I always suspected that, did not know there was a name for it.
I cannot read numbers, I cannot memorize phone numbers, I cannot read analog clock.
I cannot add numbers, even if I use calculator since I type them wrong.
I even cannot play cards since I cannot sum what I have in my hand Smile
I cannot calculate the change return while shopping.

Funny thing is I LOVE math!
I have always been good at it. Not with numbers though. I always count my fingers while doing simple arithmetic. But I can solve complex integrals, derivatives, polynomials. I can formula a problem into a math equation (since I was 12) but calculating the result is not my thing.
my favorite math is set theory and first order logic.
It is all about symbols.

I have a PhD in computer science,..basically it is all math.
My sister has the similar symptoms. She has a phD in MATH!
It is not about numbers though, group theory...again with symbols and abstract things

I am curious, will this pass to my 2 little boys?

HappyFoxy
#2 Print Post
Posted on April 21 2012 12:36 PM

Hi aysu,

I just joined the forum myself and came across your post when looking at older threads. My symptoms are quite similar to your own, the problem being the numbers themselves rather than the actual maths. I'm not even sure if I have discalculia, to be honest, or if it's something else such as a number blindness.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello. Smile

www.pastremains.co.uk
RottieWoman
#3 Print Post
Posted on April 25 2012 01:27 PM

Hi aysu!

I count on my fingers, too. Never been interested in anything math-related, though.

My hubby is big in computers/technology - has an E.E. background with a computer degree.

Ladyhawke
#4 Print Post
Posted on April 27 2012 04:40 AM

You know, Happyfoxy, you've brought up an interesting point and something I've been wondering too. It seems some of the symptoms/signs of dyscalculia are almost "universal" in that most posters here claim they experience them, while other symptoms seem to affect some and not others.

I had a conversation the other day with a colleague at work whose son has a "form of dyslexia" and that there are "17 recognzied forms of dyslexia" according to her. It made me wonder if perhaps the reason not all of use share the same symptoms is that we all have varying "forms" of dyscalculia; and, as research progresses in this area, these differences will become categorized more distinctly.

Does anyone else feel this way or have any thoughts on this?

Ladyhawke Smile
Algebra? When I learn decimals and fractions, you're welcome to try teaching me, but unless you have the patience of a saint and are very long-lived, good luck with that... Grin

Jump to Forum: