Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 8

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

Print Thread
*I Have A Question!*
seeta_ji
#1 Print Post
Posted on September 13 2006 03:37 PM

Hi, I want to take up some online courses, namely computer graphics, and I want to know if I should tell them that I have an LD before I enroll. because I have to tell them about my educational background, and I don't know what to do. plz will someone help me??Sad
They laugh at me because I'm different...I laugh at them because they're all the SAME!
...*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*...
~*Seeta*~

Toe_Nail
#2 Print Post
Posted on September 13 2006 05:14 PM

Computer graphics shouldn't be a problem.

I studied graphic design though back then (early 1990's), computer graphics was only at its beginnings so I learned the old fashion way and modern way together.
It's actually an asset that I've learned the old fashion way because I find it hhelps to better understand the concept of computer graphic design. Back then, the pre-requisite to study graphic design was... to be able to draw (manually)... and to be darn good at it - Nowadays the pre-requisits are a little different; One is still expected to be able to draw good (manually)but they don't expect people to be exceptional. One must have a good sense of disposition for shapes and color harmonization and... experience working with computers.

The only mathematical side of graphic design is working with different types of measurment. Inches, points and picas if you're working as a graphic artist for a commercial print-shop. Web graphic artists work with measurments such as points, pixels, inches, "dot per inches", centimeterbut really there isn't any calculating to do, you just enterthe number and the computer does the rest for you.

Graphic designers who work in commercial printing have to know a few things by heart for instance, conventional paper size 8x11, 11x14, 11x19 etc.. enveloppe size, business card size and the size of other current stationarys. And also conventional rules for "bleeding" and "trapping" - I don't know everything by heart and I even forget but I always take my ruler to measure anyway before starting any kind of work. There is no, or very rarely any adding, substracting, multiplication. If you wanna find the center of something, no need to measure, the computer does it for you. Thee are tons of different ways around.

Hope this helps

seeta_ji
#3 Print Post
Posted on September 13 2006 05:43 PM

thanks a lot!Smile
They laugh at me because I'm different...I laugh at them because they're all the SAME!
~*Seeta*~

seeta_ji
#4 Print Post
Posted on September 14 2006 03:30 AM

Hi again,
I've just looked at their online catalog and in the 1st year I have to do Maths as one of my subjects (algebra, and equations!) EEk!Shock sorry to be so bothersome, what do I do now???Sad
~*Seeta*~

eoffg
#5 Print Post
Posted on September 15 2006 08:30 AM

Administrator

Hi SeetaPfft,
I was wondering what area of Computer Graphics that you are interested in?
As it's such a broad area.
Maybe you add a link to the online catalogue that you were looking at?

GeoffPfft

seeta_ji
#6 Print Post
Posted on September 15 2006 01:53 PM

http://www.aionli...u/catalog/
here it is,
but I did tell them about my LD and they said that they have accommodations for students with LDs...............
~*Seeta*~

eoffg
#7 Print Post
Posted on September 16 2006 06:38 AM

Administrator

Hi SeetaPfft,
I had a look at the catalogue, which I found very interesting. I was wondering which one of their courses you are interested in? They have a wide range available. Do you already have the right computer hardware and software?
Though given that the course is Online, the Maths subjects would be done using a PC rather than pen and paper. So that should make the maths easier for you.
Yet in the Design Industry, employers or clients aren't that concerned about what Course you did or subjects you passed.
What they want to see is a Portfolio of examples of your work.
I also did a diploma of graphic design, over 30 years ago in the early days of electricity.
So if you do the Course, I would suggest that you focus on using the Course to develop a Portfolio.
For example, if an employer asks if you can use Photoshop?
What they want to see, is an example of work that you created using it, not that you passed a Photoshop unit in your course.
So hope that you enjoy your Studies!
Geoff,Pfft

ert
#8 Print Post
Posted on September 16 2006 10:19 AM

Which accommodations do they have for dyscalculic students?

http://www.facebook.com/mettechristoffersen
GuitarKat
#9 Print Post
Posted on September 18 2006 02:04 AM

Hmmm... I went to college for Graphic Communications. (computer graphics, pre-press, etc) and I was pretty okay. I just memorized a LOT about paper sizes, and did the math using the computer as it had a calc, and I just input the values when needed. Sometimes that was a problem too... I like to read things wrong.

I can give you advice about the portfolio. My website is sort of one, I guess. I did a print portfoilio that is actually physical (book form) and this one is online.

They just really want to see what you did. Not a course. I just went to school for the piece of paper saying I could do it.

Toe_Nail knows excatly what he's (or she's) talking about. Computer does most of the calculating for you. I've worked pre-press during the summer and it was great! Don't let the LD get a hold of you! You can do it! Smile

http://www.katdesigns.ca
seeta_ji
#10 Print Post
Posted on September 18 2006 12:38 PM

Wow, thanks, that's cool.........I don't know what kind fo accommodation the have for people with LDs, they just said so, nothing else..........but i've decided not to do that course anymore because my parents said it was too expensiveFrown but i'm gonna look for a cheaper course online....still looking........Smile
~*Seeta*~

GuitarKat
#11 Print Post
Posted on September 18 2006 01:53 PM

Smile Good luck with something that fits. I'm sure you'll find something along those lines.

http://www.katdesigns.ca
Jump to Forum: