Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 8

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Getting someone famous on board!
Kathy
#1 Print Post
Posted on April 15 2012 01:27 AM

Just recently I watched again comedian Billy Connolly and his World Tour DVD - where he chats about his learning disabilities, he mentioned his rather stern math teacher saying to the class one day "Today boys - we are going to learn Pythagoras therum - Connolly be a good lad and go count the railings on the fence outside" he laughs and so do I - it is the story of our lives! A bit like my sewing teacher when we were to learn embroidery in fifth grade - I got handed a piece of hension a big darning needle and coloured wool and told to "Go sit in the corner dear and make something with that"

How do we contact famous people with disabilities to help get our message out there- any ideas?
CheersGrin
kathy
Albert Einstein said: "Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count!."

LoveAlways
#2 Print Post
Posted on April 21 2012 02:39 PM

You would have to contact him by his publicist, I believe this is his contact info. You can try it, and I'll look other places.
Address Information:

Julian Belfrage Associates
(Talent Agency)
9 Argyll Street
3rd Floor
London, W1F 7TG
UK
Phone: +44 (0)20-7287 8544
Fax: +44 (0)20-7287 8832

[b]LoveAlways♥[/b]

momof2
#3 Print Post
Posted on April 26 2012 01:01 AM

Daniel Radcliffe has dyspraxia and I bet if he had issues w/ that dyscaculia is there too!

RottieWoman
#4 Print Post
Posted on April 26 2012 01:32 PM

hmmm, interesting-

Ladyhawke
#5 Print Post
Posted on April 27 2012 04:58 AM

By chance I happened to read that Cher has Dyscalculia and has struggled with it all her life, yet I've never personally seen or heard her speak of it. As well known as she is, she would be a wonderful advocate for bringing attention to this disability for millions of people. I would have no idea how to go about contacting her though.

Ladyhawke
Algebra? When I learn decimals and fractions, you're welcome to try teaching me, but unless you have the patience of a saint and are very long-lived, good luck with that... Grin

RottieWoman
#6 Print Post
Posted on April 27 2012 01:34 PM

Henry Winkler also -here's a link: http://www.greats...ic-hero.gs
Edited by RottieWoman on April 27 2012 01:36 PM

Barbaradee
#7 Print Post
Posted on May 09 2012 04:48 PM

This is actually a really great idea. I can't even begin to tell you how many MATH teachers have never heard of Dyscalculia. I go to conferences with my kids and talk to their math teachers about it and they look at me like I just grew a third eye! Truthfully, it torques me off!!

When we had my daughter tested - the Education Agency that did the testing sent a woman down who had never even heard of Dev Dysc. How are you supposed to test something you haven't even heard of? Needless to say - they wouldn't give her a diagnosis, but said I could go spend a few thousand dollars privately to get it re-tested.

My daughter and I were talking about this last night over her Pre-Alg book. It would not surprise me if a lot of performing arts types have Dyscalculia. It is the opposite side of the brain from Broca's area and many people with Dyscalculia are highly creative and gifted in other ways. My daughter is an amazing photographer and writes beautiful poetry. I have worked in community theater and I also love to write. Math is a foreign language without any "flavor" to us. It would help a lot if someone with celebrity would step forward.

Barb

Jump to Forum: