Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 6

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

Print Thread
Somewhat Confused!
HappyFoxy
#1 Print Post
Posted on April 20 2012 08:39 PM

Hi everyone,

I've never been tested for discalculia and I'm not even sure if I've got it, but for many years I've been telling people that I'm numerically dyslexic. A couple of years ago someone told me that it's a proper disorder with an actual name! Then I recently found this site and decided to join. Grin

Although some of the criteria fits there are other things that don't seem to. Basically, my problem is with numbers rather than maths. I loved arithmetic when I was at infant school, until we had to learn the times tables, then it all went pear-shaped and I couldn't do maths after that. I can't remember numbers and never did learn the times tables. I get numbers mixed up and I swear they have a life of their own, change shape and swim about on the page just to confuse me. LOL!

I did have problems with things like percentages and division, and I just couldn't grasp the usage of the figure nought. My dad was an absolute whizz at maths...he could multiply six figure numbers by six figure numbers in his head! He used to give me extra maths lessons in the evening and it always ended the same way, with him shouting in frustration and me in tears from frustration. The funny thing is, when it came to algebra and geometry I did really well, and it wasn't until years later I realised it was because it was less to do with numbers than other kinds of maths.

Once the pressure of maths in school was over (they gave up on me and I was exempted from the class for the last two years, lol), and especially once I left school, I found lots of little coping mechanisms by using rhymes and mnemonics. For many years I've always kept a simple account book of household expenses and when bills are due, so that I can see what's coming in and what needs to go out, and also adding and subtracting my bank balance, which has been a huge help. Now, I'm good at arithmetic again. But, I can't use a calculator, because it takes me ten times longer to key in the numbers than to add them up on paper, plus the total always comes out differently every time I do the same calculation. Pfft

I can't remember dates and even have to think about my son's birthday (and sometimes try and work out the year he was born, lol). I have a little song to sing to remind me of my debit card number. I wear a big wristwatch because I have to peer closely at it and stare for quite a while until I'm sure I've got the right time. I just read on a post in another introduction that someone has problems with drop-down menus on the computer. Yup! Mind, I have noticed that it's nowhere near so bad as I've got older. Not sure if it's to do with the discalculia or if it's because gradually coping with it and being more relaxed about it is the reason.

Anyway, I think I've mentioned most things. Great to be here and meet you.

Smile
Edited by HappyFoxy on April 24 2012 02:12 AM

www.pastremains.co.uk
Ladyhawke
#2 Print Post
Posted on April 25 2012 04:54 AM

Hi Happyfoxy Smile

Welcome to the forum! It's great that you found your way here. Smile

I definitely related to the scene with your father. My father was a math whiz too (a ceritifed accountant) so you can imagine my frustration. Every night was the same scene you described in your post. Pfft

Other things you mentioned some I related to, others not. I can read an analog clock and I know my times tables to the 12x (mostly due to my Dad forcing me to memorize it by rote), but I cannot add a number in my head to save my soul, I carry a calculator with me wherever I go, and like you I keep lists of my expenses so I can keep track of money coming in and going out. I've never gotten further than basic math--fractions and decimals are SO beyond me and I never even got into higher math like algebra--the teachers had long since given up on me by then. Pfft

I think you'll find many like-minded people here. I look forward to reading nmore of your posts. Smile

Ladyhawke
Algebra? When I learn decimals and fractions, you're welcome to try teaching me, but unless you have the patience of a saint and are very long-lived, good luck with that... Grin

HappyFoxy
#3 Print Post
Posted on April 25 2012 12:08 PM

Hi Ladyhawke,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome. I spent most of last weekend reading threads on the forum and was so amazed at how dyscalculia can impact on our lives in so many different ways. All my little oddities can now be shelved under one name! Grin

It's really interesting what you said about the times tables. For me, because I never learnt any, I've become quite good at quickly adding stuff in my head. For instance, I haven't a clue what 6 times 4 is, but I can turn it round and add four sixes together. Unless I'm under pressure or someone asks me, then it all goes to pot!

One of the things that totally befuddles me is weights. I was okay when we had pounds and ounces, as I could understand and visualise say, a two pound bag of flour, but since we went metric I've never grasped it at all because it's just large numbers which mean absolutely nothing to me. 265kg? What on earth does that mean???? Pfft

Thanks again for the welcome and it's lovely to meet you. Smile
Inchworm, Inchworm,
Measuring the marigolds,
Then one day you'll stop and see...
How beautiful they are!

www.pastremains.co.uk
RottieWoman
#4 Print Post
Posted on April 25 2012 01:23 PM

hey HappyFoxy!

I self-referred at my university and was diagnosed through them, with the aid of my state's Vocational Rehab services. I was born quite premature and was in Special Ed. for Speech and Language but the LD was never caught. I was never interested in anything number-related; my mom tells how she would try to teach me things with flashcards and coins and so on but I'd wander away and gesture toward a book, or go get a book and bring it back. I always loved reading/being read to.
Didn't learn how to tell time or count money til high school. I've never worn a watch and can still have difficulty with analog clocks.

Measurements like the flour example mean nothing to me.

Well, glad you're hereSmile
Edited by RottieWoman on April 25 2012 01:24 PM

HappyFoxy
#5 Print Post
Posted on April 25 2012 03:50 PM

Thanks for the welcome, RottieWoman. Smile

Inchworm, Inchworm,
Measuring the marigolds,
How beautiful they are!

www.pastremains.co.uk
RottieWoman
#6 Print Post
Posted on April 26 2012 01:17 PM

sure, FoxySmile

Ladyhawke
#7 Print Post
Posted on April 27 2012 04:49 AM

Hi Happyfoxy,

I can't even visualize a number in my mind. I wouldn't even know what that looks like. I maintain that I only do numbers by rote, simply knowing them because I've seen them so often I've memorized them almost like a word. I cannot visualize them to add them together though, which is a definite distinction from picturing them to write them on a piece of paper.

If someone wants me to add numbers, I need a piece of paper so I can write them down, then I can add them. I still count on my fingers, and I'll hide them under a table or desk or whatever if someone asks me to add something and I don't have paper or calculator. It takes a long time though and more often than not I will add it wrong. I need the piece of paper to keep the numbers organized so my mind can attempt to add them properly, and even that's a hit or miss!Pfft

Ladyhawke
Edited by Ladyhawke on April 27 2012 04:51 AM
Algebra? When I learn decimals and fractions, you're welcome to try teaching me, but unless you have the patience of a saint and are very long-lived, good luck with that... Grin

RottieWoman
#8 Print Post
Posted on April 27 2012 01:33 PM

I count on my fingers too. For me, I don't hide it. It can take me longer at the check-out/cashier but that's how it is and I don't care if people see.

HappyFoxy
#9 Print Post
Posted on April 28 2012 03:47 PM

RottieWoman, I so relate to loving reading. When I was at infant school I was so engrossed in the book I was reading that I didn't realise that the lesson has changed. The next minute I was yanked out of my chair, losing a shoe in the process, and shoved in the corner to face the wall. I was totally mortified!

Funny thing about my flour example. I was telling my son about the forum and the example I gave here. He thought it was really funny as it works out to be enough flour to keep me baking for about a hundred years!!! Just goes to show how much it means to me too! Wink

Inchworm, Inchworm,
Measuring the marigolds,
How beautiful they are!

www.pastremains.co.uk
Imayhavedyscalculia
#10 Print Post
Posted on April 29 2012 08:19 AM

My symptoms are like some of yalls. I cannot read a clock. I have to count on my fingers. I only know times tables up to three (heehee). And if you leave directions to me your bound to get lost lol! And a new symptom just popped up :/ I have now started mixing up numbers Sad I first noticed it at an eye appointment (I think I confused my docter lol!). The threes looked backwards to me. And I thought the nine was backwards too! Grr Sad

Kathy
#11 Print Post
Posted on April 30 2012 07:57 AM

Welcome HappyFoxy,
I am a Library Technician and love to read (hence my job!) loved reading your post! and also to Imayhavedyscalculia I love your accent! I thought you were saying your symptoms made you yell!
LOL! I look forward to reading your posts.

Cheers for nowSmile
Kathy
Albert Einstein said: "Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count!."

justfoundout
#12 Print Post
Posted on April 30 2012 06:11 PM

4/30/12
An apostrophy can help clarify. I spell it "y'all". :) - jus'

HappyFoxy
#13 Print Post
Posted on May 01 2012 12:27 PM

Hi Imayhavedyscalculia, Kathy and justfoundout. I love the Texas accent too. Grin You have a fab job, Kathy. Thanks for your welcomes and great to meet you all.
Inchworm, Inchworm,
Measuring the marigolds,
How beautiful they are!

www.pastremains.co.uk
Jump to Forum: