Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 6

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Newbie here
dcalloway
#1 Print Post
Posted on April 26 2012 01:52 AM

Hello All!!!

I'm so happy i found this site!! For many years I thought I was just stupid. My parents just thought i was lazy, and just didn't want to learn. To be honest I don't even know how I made it out of High School! I avoid anything to do with math, I know enough math just to get by..I guess. My own Husband doesn't know i struggle with basic math. I've always work in clerical, medical scheduling, and also a medical Assistant. Last week was an eye opener for me. I had my second job interview with a great company!! just doing admin work at the front desk. I was just suppose to drop off my background paper work everything was going smoothly, until Hr manager informed me they just wanted me to take a 10 min test (last step for hiring process) i said "OK" thinking it would just be reading, Nope!! it was Math and maybe some English. I immediately started panicking!!! like the ansiexty was to the max!!! I completed the test to the best of my ability, and haul out of there!!. Dont think I would be getting the Job Sad I just broke down on the way home. I never understood why I don't get Math, I don't even know where to start. I started doing research, and came across "dyscalculia" I have all the symptoms...I mean all!! I cant't do math in my head, I have to really concentrate to copy numbers down, and so on. now i just don't know how to get help

RottieWoman
#2 Print Post
Posted on April 26 2012 01:28 PM

welcome here, dcalloway!

like you, I also just get by re: math....your story reminds me of when I was interviewing for a job with a vet office. It was supposed to be a clerical-related/animal handing position. I hadn't realized the extent of the "Clerical" <as time went on, they realized neither had they grasped the needs of the situation, which was that the elderly one and only vet had un-expectedly died and in addition to the obvious issues that caused, that person had also left the clinic in alot of debt and with some other issues>....so anyway, "clerical" was initially part of it - so I went there and surprise, in addition to the usual interview questions they handed me a written test which did include some math, among that - story problems, which I've always had extreme difficulty with - and other math-related things. I also had to review some clinic practice/policy info. in a handbook and use that to answer some other questions like - if someone comes in with such-and-such-age dog or cat and asked about spaying, what do you need to ask them? etc.
So I had to disclose my <documented> learning disability right there; usually I wait til I have a written hire notification.
Of course, in addition to the act of disclosure, I sat looking at the test blankly, thinking some choice phrases that will not be typed here.

If you give us an idea where you are, maybe we can direct further for testing. I was tested with the aid of my state's Vocational Rehab. , also variably known as "Rehabilitative Services", "Workforce Rehab" and so on.

I'm glad you're hereSmile

dcalloway
#3 Print Post
Posted on April 26 2012 07:18 PM

Thank You RottieWomen Smile

I'm in northern Virginia. I'm guessing I should probably see a Educational physiologist?? So for employment am I suppose to let them know about my disability? then they wont hire me? I try to avoid jobs that deal with math period.

squeakymonster
#4 Print Post
Posted on April 26 2012 08:13 PM

dcalloway,
Most of us do NOT disclose our learning disability until AFTER we are hired. While technically, there are laws prohibiting discrimination based on disability, I think I'm preaching to the choir when I laugh at that. In my employment since being diagnosed, I have waited until I signed and submitted my confirmation of employment letter, then e-mailed my supervisor to make them aware of the situation. When I start my job, I again remind the supervisor of my learning disability and offer to discuss it with them further. My experience has been that once they hire me, they are willing to work with my disability. I am also fortunate enough to work at the same place I've worked at since before my diagnosis. By being upfront about it early on, you can avoid issues later.
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

Jump to Forum: