Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 7

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,048
· Newest Member: Nicki Holmes

View Thread

Print Thread
Nothing to do with Dyscalculia
dandy22
#1 Print Post
Posted on May 03 2012 03:20 AM

This doesn't have anything to do with dyscalculia, but its kind of nice. Yesterday, my brother and I were driving down the road to pick up dinner when we stopped at a red light. I looked out the window and saw all these wild flowers growing on the side of the road and it took me back to a happier place. It reminded me of when i was a little girl and I lived in a house on 5 acres of land. My mom and dad would sit on the porch swing and watch the sun set while I wandered the 5 acres and picked wildflowers; which, during the spring time, covered the entire five acres.

In that moment, I could feel the warm sun on my entire body and and the grassy earth below my bare feet (i never wore shoes when I was little) and the smell of grass and wildflowers.

And then it was gone as I smelled my brother's cigarette smoke fill the car. But it was nice for a minute.
So, tell me, what kind of things take you back to a happier place?
Equations are the devil's sentences. -Stephen Colbert

justfoundout
#2 Print Post
Posted on May 03 2012 04:30 AM

5/2/12
There used to be a field of wildflowers across the street from a house where I lived when I was about 13 years old. I would run through that field and catch butterflies. I was really 'fast' and good at it. Of course, it was mostly a 'catch and release' operation. There were Indian Blanket amonst other things. So pretty. Any field of wildflowers takes me back to those few days of chasing butterfies. It's a nostalgic feeling for me,... a little sad. I wish that it could have lasted longer. - jus'

Indian Blanket flowers
http://www.redbub...et-flowers
Edited by justfoundout on May 03 2012 04:35 AM

RottieWoman
#3 Print Post
Posted on May 03 2012 01:16 PM

I've had that same kinda experience, dandy and 'jus.One time involved a field of beautiful wildflowers that my husband and I came across by accident, on a country road in Summer as we came down a hill.It was just gorgous.

Another time was sitting on a porch swing with my family on a Summer day at a little Bed and Breakfast house we all staying at together, in an region called "Door County" which is the "thumb" or peninsula portion of WI - along the lake and the bay on either side.
There was a slight breeze and it was a quaint town and it was early morning, and it was just so peaceful.

That flower is quite beautiful, 'jus - thanks for posting the picture!

justfoundout
#4 Print Post
Posted on May 03 2012 10:09 PM

Not my own photography, but I'm glad you liked it, RW. ;) - jus'

CheshireKat
#5 Print Post
Posted on May 04 2012 02:32 AM

I always find that smell is the sense I most strongly tie to memory. I don't know if it's because smell is my strongest sense (with the hearing and visual issues) or if that's just standard for all people, but for me, the smell of some particular thing will instantly take me back to a person, a place, a time in my life.

The smell of dead pine needles takes me back to my childhood most strongly. Not pine like Christmas pine trees, but during the fall when dead pine needles cover the ground, when the yard is all covered in leaf litter and pine needles and pine cones. It reminds me of autumn, of the air getting cold, of getting out of school and spending the whole rest of the day until sundown playing outside, riding bikes, exploring the woods, playing football and street hockey, rolling around in the grass. Me and my sister and our neighborhood friends were all tomboys, and we spent every day outside playing, no matter the weather.

For me that crisp pine is a fun, innocent, uncomplicated smell. It makes me smile and remember how much fun we had growing up. Sometimes I wish I could go back to those days and tell my 8 year old self, "Enjoy this. Soak it all up. I know you want to grow up, but believe me, when you're grown up you're going to want to be 8 again. That's just how it works."
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

RottieWoman
#6 Print Post
Posted on May 05 2012 12:40 PM

'Kat, Fall is probably my fav. time of yearSmile

Ladyhawke
#7 Print Post
Posted on May 06 2012 08:29 PM

Funny this topic came up. Apparently, my cat has a favourite smell and it's SPEARMINT! Pfft I saw some mint candies in the store yesterday and although I really should be watching the sugar intake, I couldn't resist them.

No soooner do I get home and open the spearmint candies and my cat is all over me, trying to get to the candy! She's never been interested in candy before, so I looked it up and apparently, some types of mint remind cats of catnip, so my cat must have thought I was eating catnip! Pfft

However, my cat is pretty determined about it, so I had to put the candy away in the cupboard out of her reach. Despite that, she keeps going to that side of the kitchen and meowing at the cupboard.Pfft
Algebra? When I learn decimals and fractions, you're welcome to try teaching me, but unless you have the patience of a saint and are very long-lived, good luck with that... Grin

justfoundout
#8 Print Post
Posted on May 06 2012 09:50 PM

Yes, catnip is in the same family as mint. In fact, they are so closely related that I'd wondered how cats could tell them apart. So, your story is very interesting to me, as it supports my theory that 'some cats don't care' whether it's catnip or mint.

I have three kinds of mint growing in my herb garden,... mint chocolate, mint spearmint, and mint peppermint. I wonder which of these your cat would prefer? Or maybe since she's female, she's just enamored of the chocolate? - jus'

Jump to Forum: