Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Graduation
justfoundout
#1 Print Post
Posted on May 06 2012 06:46 PM

5/6/12
Amazing that I get to be the first to congratulate you. So happy for you, Kat! I hadn't known that an Anthropology degree could be so useful. I really like the 'non-profit management' idea. It borders on Social Work, doesn't it?

Colleges will only be giving Pell Grant for a maximum of 9 semesters now, not 12 as before. This will impact the LD people more than the general population, since we have a harder time choosing a Major and completing some of the classes. My 9th semester with Pell Grant is this coming Fall semester. By the skin of my teeth, I'll still have the Federal funding to finish my degree. If I fail one of those last classes, I'll have to pay to re-take it out of my own (empty) pocket. This is new. The law was passed last year, but it is just now going into effect this Fall.

Again, Kat. I'm so glad that you made it, and that you'll have a rewarding career. Best wishes for grad school. - jus'

Ladyhawke
#2 Print Post
Posted on May 06 2012 08:14 PM

CONGRATULATIONS, CheshireKat! Smile

Your post left me in tears. I'm SO happy for you. More than anyone, people on this forum know how tough it is to overcome a learning disability in order to finish your studies the way you did. You have every right to be proud of your accomplishment.

Wishing you only the best in all your future endeavours. Smile

Ladyhawke
Algebra? When I learn decimals and fractions, you're welcome to try teaching me, but unless you have the patience of a saint and are very long-lived, good luck with that... Grin

justfoundout
#3 Print Post
Posted on May 06 2012 10:02 PM

5/6/12
Yes, a post about how to use an anthropology degree would be well-received here, Kat. Go ahead with this. It may start a trend.

I'm seeing that there is a ruling called WEP. To prevent 'double dipping', the governement fixed it so that if a person is a teacher, that person can't receive both social security and draw from the teacher's retirement fund. In times past, people used to start with a career and keep it their entire lifetime. But nowadays, people go back and forth between careers. Some people have lost up to half of their Social Security by working a short time as a teacher. Yet, may not work enough as a teacher to make up for what they lost in Social Security money.

In short, I may be better off getting a job teaching at a Charter school, rather than getting teacher certification and working in the Public School system.

Thanks for the support with finishing my BA in Spanish, Kat. Should I walk in graduation? - jus'

heathermomster
#4 Print Post
Posted on May 07 2012 02:31 PM

Awesome, awesome, awesome...Congratulations!

justfoundout
#5 Print Post
Posted on May 07 2012 08:38 PM

5/7/12
Thanks, Kat. I'll get to work on getting my 'honors' scarf in that case. ;) - jus'

Jump to Forum: