Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 4

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,048
· Newest Member: Nicki Holmes

View Thread

Print Thread
Im new :)
Gchenson
#1 Print Post
Posted on May 05 2012 06:07 PM

My names Garrett Henson its nice to meet everyone I'm 20 years old and currently a student at calhoun community college struggling with math of course lol ....anywho I hope I can find some degree that the highest requirement is pre-cal but other than that im just a laid back guy who loves games, reading, and writing poetry and books in my spare time. I have never met another person with Dyscalculia and since i just now found this website it makes me feel good that im not alone. Grin

CheshireKat
#2 Print Post
Posted on May 05 2012 07:07 PM

Hey Garrett, I'm Kat, welcome to the forum! I had never met anyone else with dyscalculia before either, at least not that I knew about. In hindsight, looking back now I realize that I probably did know a few people who had it, but either they never said anything about it or they didn't know they had it either! Anyway, welcome again, hope you enjoy browsing around here!
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." - Eric Hoffer

Gchenson
#3 Print Post
Posted on May 06 2012 01:18 AM

Thanx Kat its nice to meet you to Grin

justfoundout
#4 Print Post
Posted on May 06 2012 06:53 PM

5/6/12
Hi Gchenson,
I was in a Logic class with 4 other dyscalculics. We all needed to pass Logic so that we could finish our AA degrees. I've remained friends with one of those women. She graduated with a 4-year Social Worker degree last semester.

I'm glad that you've found us here. Welcome. - jus'

Ladyhawke
#5 Print Post
Posted on May 06 2012 07:59 PM

Welcome Garrett! Smile

I can't say I've met anyone else with Dyscalculia either until I found this forum, but I'm sure they're out there. Glad you found us. I look forward to reading more of your posts. Smile

Ladyhawke
Algebra? When I learn decimals and fractions, you're welcome to try teaching me, but unless you have the patience of a saint and are very long-lived, good luck with that... Grin

Barbaradee
#6 Print Post
Posted on May 07 2012 04:47 PM

Welcome Garrett!

Hang in there - you can make it through this! Don't forget to take advantage of tutors and assistance at your college.

Have you considered Journalism or English as a major. You might also see if your college will be willing to substitute other classes instead of your higher math requirements. Check in with the students with disabilities department.

Barb

RottieWoman
#7 Print Post
Posted on May 16 2012 01:01 PM

Hi there, Garrett!

I was diagnosed with math LD in college after continually failing remedial college math. I was also tired of having such issues with analog clocks and so I read up on the possibility and self-referred to Disabled Student Services. I was born a couple of months premature and was in Special Ed as a kid for speech and language and in a "special" gym class spontaneously arranged during my 7th or 8th grade years, for kids who didn't "fit"/perform average or well in that class. It was held in a large utility room where they stored the weight equipment and mats etc. The teacher would come in and give us - about 6 -8 of us - our assignment and then go back out to the main floor where everybody else was. It was a mixed group of "outsiders" and "just-not-popular" kids - a very obese girl, someone who was electively mute etc . A couple of the kids who were in there were one of my many bullies on the "outside" and they themselves were also bullied. My mom found out about arrangement that and was she pissed.

So, I've always had trouble with sequence, spatial orientation, some motor skills <putting gloves on and learning to suck through a straw as a young child for example>, handwriting issues in elementary grades....didn't learn to tell time or count money til high school. Still have difficulty with those things and have never worn a watch. I was also allegedly born with missing inner ear bones.
Always in highest reading and writing groups, took AP English and Bio in high school and went to an arts specialty high school.

I still count on my fingers - and don't hide it. I take extra time in line and often get change wrong.
I tend to think in pictures and have difficulty with spoken or written multi-step directions...units of measurement mean nothing to me <feet, inches>. I don't know how to use a ruler.

But LD was never caught.
I graduated from my university with a double major in Spanish and Sociology and for a time was case manager working with people with cognitive disabilities and on the severe end of the autism spectrum.

Nope, you're certainly not alone!

Jump to Forum: