Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 7

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

Print Thread
new here
crosstitchgirl02
#1 Print Post
Posted on May 10 2012 03:55 AM

Hello my name is Christi . Mother of 3 girls and two stepsons . I was tested and diagnosed with a math disability when I was about 11 or so dropped out of school at 16 and now I would like to get my ged and move on with my education but I still struggle with math and not sure where to turn for help. I would go to a local school and get my training there but with 3 kids under the age of 4 that ain't an option . husband is willing to teach me but he don't seem to understand my problem. he thinks if I really want to bad enough I can just over come it and I cant . Feeling really lonely in this right now and am lost as to where to turn . I would like to go to collage in the near future and do something with computers and art thou not sure what yet .

Barbaradee
#2 Print Post
Posted on May 10 2012 12:30 PM

Welcome Christi!

You are setting a very good example for your children by having the courage to continue your education...you should be very proud of yourself!

If you are near a Community College - many of them have High School Completion course where you receive a HS Diploma - instead of a GED. I would recommend that you contact them. Much of it can be done online or by correspondence. You may also have the advantages of one-on-one tutoring.

College education is a lot more fun than High School ever was, that is just my humble opinion, and Community Colleges have a diverse student population. Many of the instructors/professors take a very different approach and they are better at understanding learning disabilities. They are also much better at understanding the Adult Learner.

Please don't feel lonely - this whole forum is packed with people who have the same struggles and frustrations that you do. I know that you have your hands really full with 5 little ones! (I started back to Community College with three children under the age of 5) It seems that you have the support of your husband - that is wonderful! Maybe he will support you being gone a couple of nights a week?

As mothers we sometimes feel that it is selfish to take time away from our children to fulfill our own needs. I can assure you that it is not selfish and that if we are more satisfied with ourselves - we are better parents!

There are some studies that show that Dysclaculia may be inherited. I don't know how old your girls are - but you may want to watch for symptoms in them. Be prepared to go to battle with your local schools for testing, diagnosis and accomodations. No matter what choice you make, the important thing is to support your children, and not let the cycle continue.

Barb

justfoundout
#3 Print Post
Posted on May 11 2012 12:26 AM

5/10/12
Hi crosstitchgirl02,
The Danish lady who started this forum dropped out of school in 9th grade,... just like you, right? Once she found out about dyscalculia, she got diagnosed and was finally able to get her diploma and teaching credentials. That was a couple of years ago.

Since I don't know where you are, I'm just going to send you a link to a place near me where Adult Education classes are offered, including G.E.D. This place is in Fort Worth, Texas. Once you take a look at it, you'll figure out a way to find something similar near you. - jus'

http://www.fwisd....fault.aspx

"All courses are completely free to the community and are held in many locations throughout Tarrant County. Please visit our Enrollment Procedures page for instructions on how to become a student in our program."
Edited by justfoundout on May 11 2012 12:27 AM

RottieWoman
#4 Print Post
Posted on May 16 2012 01:04 PM

Hi Christi!

I was diagnosed with math LD in college after continually failing remedial college math. I was also tired of having such issues with analog clocks and so I read up on the possibility and self-referred to Disabled Student Services. I was born a couple of months premature and was in Special Ed as a kid for speech and language and in a "special" gym class spontaneously arranged during my 7th or 8th grade years, for kids who didn't "fit"/perform average or well in that class. It was held in a large utility room where they stored the weight equipment and mats etc. The teacher would come in and give us - about 6 -8 of us - our assignment and then go back out to the main floor where everybody else was. It was a mixed group of "outsiders" and "just-not-popular" kids - a very obese girl, someone who was electively mute etc . A couple of the kids who were in there were one of my many bullies on the "outside" and they themselves were also bullied. My mom found out about arrangement that and was she pissed.

So, I've always had trouble with sequence, spatial orientation, some motor skills <putting gloves on and learning to suck through a straw as a young child for example>, handwriting issues in elementary grades....didn't learn to tell time or count money til high school. Still have difficulty with those things and have never worn a watch. I was also allegedly born with missing inner ear bones.
Always in highest reading and writing groups, took AP English and Bio in high school and went to an arts specialty high school.

I still count on my fingers - and don't hide it. I take extra time in line and often get change wrong.
I tend to think in pictures and have difficulty with spoken or written multi-step directions...units of measurement mean nothing to me <feet, inches>. I don't know how to use a ruler.

But LD was never caught.
I graduated from my university with a double major in Spanish and Sociology and for a time was case manager working with people with cognitive disabilities and on the severe end of the autism spectrum.

I know what it feels like to feel alone and utterly lost.
But here, we are not alone!
Here's a HUG for you, if you're comfortable with it.
Smile

Jump to Forum: