Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 6

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
It's happened again...
Metalmama
#1 Print Post
Posted on May 18 2012 06:10 AM

I have been to college twice before to get an associate's degree. I dropped out both times as I was unable to pass the math class. I had hours/days of tutoring to no avail. Currently, I am trying to get an associates in early childhood. They have changed the requirements (since I enrolled) so that I will have to take the basic math class (because I, of course, did not pass the initial test), a pre-algebra course and two more advanced math classes. I am just sick...I am currently a 4.0 student in all the other classes as I was in my past two college journeys--I just cannot do the math. I have spent so much of my life doing amazingly in college, but cannot do the math. What can I do? I have heard of colleges that will waive the math requirement if you can give proof of dyscalculia. But, I have tried to find places that test fort this and was told one of two things: "We have never heard of dyscalculia" or "You cannot be tested for dyscalculia if you are an adult". What can I do? I'm sorry to ramble on like this, but I just do not know what to do. Not that it makes a difference, but I am a 46 year old woman that cannot get a degree because I can't do math--I am just in tears. Thank you all for listening.

justfoundout
#2 Print Post
Posted on May 20 2012 06:43 PM

5/20/12
Dear Metalmama,
I was older than you when I got tested. I'd taken two developmental math classes in college long ago, and this was probably the reason that I got an A in Pre-Algebra when I took it a few years back. However, I got stuck at Elementary Algebra. Failed it three times. Didn't know about dyscalculia. Couldn't finish my paralegal degree. Had a 3.8 GPA when I started failing those math classes. Lost my Grant funding. It wears me out to even think back on it. I never would have gotten even that AAS Paralegal degree had I not found out about dyscalculia and gotten tested.

My work history was bad enough (despite showing up and really 'trying') that the State vocational rehabilitation agency (which is DARS in Texas) paid for my testing.

After the testing, I was allowed to take Logic to cover my math credits. That finished my two-year Paralegal degree. Then, I went on to finish my AA degree (which had a lot more 'core curriculum' than the Paralegal degree had had). I then transferred the AA degree 'as a block' to a State University. This ensured that my math credits would continue to be 'covered' by that Logic class. And now, I'm just four classes away from finishing a Bachelor's degree. I think that you've just 'got' to find a way to be tested. If you let us know a little more about what state you live in, maybe we can help you find cheaper testing.

Getting those math credits just flat out 'waived' is unlikely. But you can get the 'substituted' with either Logic, or, in some cases, a computer literacy class. I have heard of one 'private college' in the DFW area that waived a student's math credits. - jus'
Edited by justfoundout on May 22 2012 07:56 PM

Metalmama
#3 Print Post
Posted on May 21 2012 01:34 AM

I live in Missouri and I've tried to find places that will test for Dyscalculia, but no one has ever heard of it. Sad
Thank you in advance for all your help.

eoffg
#4 Print Post
Posted on May 21 2012 08:13 AM

Administrator

Metalmama, Dyscalculia will only become the official term next year, when the new DSM-V is released. Where the current term is Math Disorder.
So you will probably have more success if ask about a test for a math disorder.

RottieWoman
#5 Print Post
Posted on May 21 2012 01:14 PM

what about here: http://www.stlcc....urces.html
St. Louis Comm. College - list of testing clinics and other resources

or here: http://education....rgs/muacc/
U. of MO

justfoundout
#6 Print Post
Posted on May 22 2012 08:06 PM

5/22/12
Metalmama,
Missouri State also has a Masters program in psychology. In these programs the grad level students need subjects to give the IQ test to, for practice. This testing is overseen by a licensed psychologist, and the results are valid for your LD documentation. Give this college a try if it happens to be close to you. - jus'
http://psychology...reereq.htm

Metalmama
#7 Print Post
Posted on May 23 2012 04:07 AM

Thank you jus'--am going to check this out tomorrow!! Grin

justfoundout
#8 Print Post
Posted on May 24 2012 12:43 AM

5/23/12
Welcome, metalmama. See you soon. - jus'

squeakymonster
#9 Print Post
Posted on May 24 2012 01:37 PM

I was tested through a clinic like the one Jus' described. I got the diagnosis I needed, and it's a LOT cheaper!

eoffg, Interesting that we are still called "math disorder", I thought we were already dyscalculic officially. Any idea about why this is just now happening?
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

Metalmama
#10 Print Post
Posted on June 05 2012 12:00 AM

Aargh--just got forms from Missouri State to see about testing for LD. The cost for the testing is $500. Sad

justfoundout
#11 Print Post
Posted on June 05 2012 01:04 AM

6/4/12
Yikes! That's awful. The best Ph D psychologist in North Texas was charging $400 three years back. I fail to see how Missouri State is doing any 'big favors' at $500. - jus'

RottieWoman
#12 Print Post
Posted on June 05 2012 03:04 PM

oh, Metalmama :-( hmmm what about DVR?
also cross-disability agencies like Easter Seals or UCP <United Cerebral Palsy> may have enough people/experience/contacts to give you some additional suggestions...

Lions Club....?

squeakymonster
#13 Print Post
Posted on June 05 2012 07:53 PM

Metalmamma, have you tried talking to your state's Rehabilitation Services? It may be called something different in your state, but it basically is the agency that oversees services for the disabled. You could qualify to get tested by them if you have a history of being unemployed or under employed, and if you are low income. It's something to look into. Boy, it sure makes the $200 I had to spend look like a drop in the bucket! Sad
I'm NOT lost, I'm just taking the scenic rout!

RottieWoman
#14 Print Post
Posted on June 05 2012 10:04 PM

yeah, in my state it's called DVR but the name varies as 'jus wrote-

Jump to Forum: