Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,053
· Newest Member: Rinla

View Thread

Print Thread
Teaching Resource
heathermomster
#1 Print Post
Posted on June 02 2012 01:01 PM

A teaching resource using C-rods...

http://www.educat...boxed.com/

heathermomster
#2 Print Post
Posted on July 07 2012 10:56 PM

This is Heather's opinion as a math lover, dealing with my son's teachers from pre-k to 6th grade.

I can't add to what you've stated because I agree with you 100%. Conceptual understanding is not pushed in the classroom, and quite frankly, your average elementary teacher doesn't know or have the confidence enough to teach conceptually. I imagine some school districts will not allow their teachers to speak off the script either, or they feel rushed due to high stakes testing. Whatever the case, indivduals with dyscalculia have a very real problem with subitizing and numbers sense, and require systematic, explicit, and direct instruction. That type of teaching isn't suited for your typical classroom instruction.

dresseslady
#3 Print Post
Posted on July 16 2012 02:14 AM

In my opinion people think that mathematics is the most difficult subject!! I have the same problem, I wonder who can help us to get the information?

------------------------------------------------------
Edited by eoffg on July 16 2012 06:02 AM

thinkerED
#4 Print Post
Posted on September 10 2012 11:55 AM

I also think that math is most difficult subject for me. So can your given link help me in solving math problem easily?

heathermomster
#5 Print Post
Posted on September 10 2012 04:35 PM

thinkerED wrote:
I also think that math is most difficult subject for me. So can your given link help me in solving math problem easily?

The link provided demonstrates ways to use Cuisenaire rods and develop subitizing and numbers sense. The creator's children are NT. Many parents of children with dyscalculia use c-rods to teach their children at home. The author Ronit Bird recommends concrete manipulatives to explain math conceptually, providing a kinesthetic and visual element.

Many individuals respond well to this type of teaching. I would not describe the teaching as easy. In some instances, I would expect the concepts to take several days to grasp, depending upon age and the nature of the disability. Naturally, YMMV. The link is free.

Jump to Forum: