Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

Forum Threads

Member Poll

Do you tell people that you have dyscalculia?

You must login to vote.

Users Online

· Guests Online: 6

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 6,056
· Newest Member: SBP

View Thread

Print Thread
Dyscalculic online educationalist VERY, VERY excited to find you all.
martella
#1 Print Post
Posted on November 09 2006 04:00 PM

I have been doing a lot of research into maths anxiety recently for my job and it led me here and I AM SO HAPPY TO HAVE FOUND YOU ALL for more reasons than one.

Reading (devouring) many of your posts, a recurring theme is 'I always felt it was just me'....oh, how true that is. When you have lived most of your life not knowing that you may actually have a genuine disability, one that makes you feel thick and isolated and causes you to baulk at all things mathematical...... this forum is like coming out of the cold into a cosy room with a fireside, hot chocolate and feeling that you can talk to the strangers in here as friends! I recognize so much in your posts. Thank you for being so open.

I had a female maths teacher at high school in the sixties who, knowing I was generally pretty bright in other areas must have taken my maths incompetence personally or something. Before long, she was taking a perverse pleasure in making me the first one to have to stand up and give my Ďanswerí to her morning maths exercises. She and I and everyone else in class knew I was going to fail big-time just about every time and the regular dose of humiliation affected not only my attitude to many other subjects but I now believe, the next thirty odd years.. I shot out of school ANGRY AS HELL, not really knowing why I was at odds with the world.

All my friends went off to Uni, absolutely a waste of time my even trying. I simply knew I was utterly 'thick' with numbers et al and have lived my life in almost total avoidance of any kind of proper maths work. I have run companies, been up front about my lack of maths and always had to ensure that the detailed financial sides etc. were handled by someone I could trust absolutely. A Managing Director not even confident enough to handle the basic financial workings (Mind, Iím not bad in big figures but thatís it.) and always living with that 'waiting to be found out' feeling.
Pathetic, eh?

In 1992, we were living in the Far East and one day someone came to my husband and I and started talking about education and something called 'the Internet'. It was the most exciting thing I had ever heard in my life and the resulting partnership produced the world's first accredited fully online Masters degree. It was a long and hard struggle for nine years and at one stage a business man I respected pinned me down over a day as to WHY I was battling to establish 'Online Education' against the odds and with little money and ahead of its time.

I now acknowledged my long buried rage at the academic world and am working on my belief that knowledge should NOT rest so firmly in the hands of the few. And a belief that there must be another way.

And I still believe that passionately.

Countess
#2 Print Post
Posted on November 09 2006 07:53 PM

Administrator

Hello Martella and welcome to the forum Wink
Wow, this is quiet a story. Thanks for sharing.
Yes I feel like having "family and friends" round here and I am addicted of this forum Grin

Countess

'You should really be sympathetic to people who suffer 'Normalism' (Geoff)
My Child (born 97) has Dyscalculia
Sorry for any spelling mistakes ;-)

http://www.myspace.com/countess_mom
OneOutofOrderScrooball
#3 Print Post
Posted on November 09 2006 08:43 PM

Hi Martella, SmileI am so glad to see you beat the odds and showed that We Dyscalculiacs are made of stauncher stuff than others would ever believe.PfftGrinPfft More Power to you!! Also remember while you might be dyscalculiac and can't help it your teacher who takes a perverse pleasure in humiliating you has a far worse problem than any learning disability. I concur whole-heartedly with your assessment of this forum.
It is truly the Best.PfftGrinPfftGrin
Sign me, OneOutofOrderScrewballPfftGrinPfftGrin

Sign
"I know I am a Scrooball with faults but being wrong is not one of them."

http://www.myspace.com/ScrooeyLollibell
martella
#4 Print Post
Posted on November 09 2006 09:11 PM

Thank you very much, Countess and OneOutofOrderScrewball for your welcomes.
I really look forward to reading more insights and views on this weird thing that we share.

I would lay money Most people - including many 'discalculics in the dark' like me - have never even heard of the name either. (I've always just called myself mathslexic!) We are really going to have to get this 'out in the world' far more, aren't we. Upwards and Onwards!

All the best.

dawn
#5 Print Post
Posted on November 09 2006 09:11 PM

hello martella. very nice to meet you .Your enthusiasm is infectious. keep it up

WeirdHero
#6 Print Post
Posted on November 10 2006 12:06 AM

Shock.......Sad.......Angry
Edited by WeirdHero on November 10 2006 12:21 AM
www.wcgwiki.org/logocompetition/BAR_11.jpg

Toe_Nail
#7 Print Post
Posted on November 10 2006 02:35 AM

Welcome aboard Smile

Kyla Dilla
#8 Print Post
Posted on November 10 2006 06:30 AM

Hello Martella =) Hope U enjoy the forum. =)
Out of ugly, the most important thing in life is to make something beautiful - Johnny Weir

Kyla Dilla
#9 Print Post
Posted on November 10 2006 06:32 AM

Anyway, something bothering u weirdhero?
Edited by Kyla Dilla on November 10 2006 06:33 AM
Out of ugly, the most important thing in life is to make something beautiful - Johnny Weir

WeirdHero
#10 Print Post
Posted on November 10 2006 03:06 PM

Ask admin or eoffg.
www.wcgwiki.org/logocompetition/BAR_11.jpg

ert
#11 Print Post
Posted on November 10 2006 09:49 PM

Welcome to the forum Smile

http://www.facebook.com/mettechristoffersen
Nicola
#12 Print Post
Posted on November 15 2006 12:42 PM

Hi Martella, lovely to meet you too Pfft

Kyla Dilla
#13 Print Post
Posted on November 15 2006 02:58 PM

Oh ok weirdhero.

Bubble
#14 Print Post
Posted on November 20 2006 08:08 PM

Hi Martella

This is a late welcome, but i wanted to make sure i said HI!
Thanks for sharing your story
bubble
(Katie) Wink

Be different, it suits you

Cathie13
#15 Print Post
Posted on December 04 2006 12:54 AM

Congrats on your victory over your learning difference! I love to hear success stories, where people have succeeded in spite of their problems.
CathieSmile

Akbar
#16 Print Post
Posted on December 06 2006 02:17 AM

Hello! That was a great story. I can definetely relate. I've felt my own fair share of rage at the academic world, and at the world in general.

martella wrote:
knowledge should NOT rest so firmly in the hands of the few.

Those are true words!
Smile

Jump to Forum: